Note to New Members ×

Dalbello Krypton vs. Deeluxe Indy

Trayer

Just a topic for discussion:

I'm sporting Deeluxe Indy's these days, but am interested in the Dalbello Kryptons that many snowboard racers are transitioning to. Can anyone provide feedback on the pros/cons to the Krypton? I'm just curious, I don't think the asymetrical flex of the Indy is benefiting my riding, i think i lose a lot of power distribution with my knees bending sideways.

Thoughts on stability, flex, comfort, sizing, toe/heel overhang, etc?

Gracias.

Personally, the Krypton Pros seem like they would work well for racing. And I've always thought the Flexon comps would also work. And I do remember seeing racers using them years ago. A centimeter of toe drag could be the only obvious con. And I prefer a softer flexing boot thats more forgiving for all-mountain use. So my opinion is a bit biased. A race ski boot with a 120 flex seems stiff to me.

But with all the boots out there also think about the Full Tilts, and the park/jib ski boots made by other companies. AT boots are looking useful too. The forward lean on a ski boot compared to a hard shell snowboard boot seems too upright and rigid. When I used to ride with my Nordica's, I only latched the top 2 buckles and not clamped them down.

Trayer-

use the search tool for a past discussion on this... we "hashed" out a lot of things on past threads.

the main issue with the kryptons is they are SO HARD to get fitted properly. it took me 21 days of riding in them before i could even stand to have them on for more than 5 seconds...

I personally have done 6 major adjustments to them, and had them fitted two or three times before they worked.

for racing they provide incredible reponse-- but for freeriding, i think the deeluxes are much bettter- simply an easier boot to ride it and a nicer flex pattern for riding all day.

just my educated, personal experience with riding both of these boots.

Neil

...And I've always thought the Flexon comps would also work. And I do remember seeing racers using them years ago. A centimeter of toe drag could be the only obvious con...

The Flexons were excellent for racing. and the toe overhang was easily fixed with a dremel.

I just acquired a pair of Krypton Cross. They have a slightly softer tongue than the Pros but I think everything else is the same.

Be careful with fit. Compared to the Raichles, the Krypton is narrow. And I am told the Full Tilt is even narrower. I am D width and the Krypton is snug.

No more riding days left for me unfortunately so I can't test them but I think they will be fine for freeriding. With the Kryptons, you can keep the top buckle and booster strap loose and then you are flexing against the tongue. Soft enough for snowboarding I think but not too soft.

• 4 weeks later...

The Krypton Cross 28.0 and 28.5 both come with the same shell which has a 326 mm length.

I checked our one remaining pair of 26.0 and it has a 306 sole length. I don't have a 27.0 in stock but logic tells me the sole length would be 316.

The offer above still stands on any of these three pair of boots. Domestic shipping is free. Email me for a shipping quote if it's going out of the the US.

This thread has given me some ideas. I'm a dual entrant racer and have competed at the NASTAR Nationals five times as a skier and boarder winning my age group on boarding four times and skiing once. The first day's format of the event doesn't take into consideration folks like me so I have to be in two places at the same time. I've solved the problem by only taking only one run on the board (it's a best of two format) and then changing boots to head for the ski race. I've usually missed my start but they let me jump in when I get there. If I were to race both events on Krypton Crosses I could save the hassle of changing boots. My concern is that the Krypton wouldn't lend itself very well to a very turny GS ski course. Any thoughts?

all of the guys racing on the kryptons are using the C (2nd softest) tongues, D are the little girl tongues so i wouldnt recommend those

Ok. Is that the softer tongue that comes with the boots, or are they even softer tongues that can be ordered..?

And thanx patmoore for the numbers.

I think I'll need size 27, but have to try to be shure. So I'll have to wait until next winter. No boots in stock here in Norway..

you can order 2 types of tongues that dont come with the boots: A which are solid and the D which flex like cloth, the B and C come with the boots (the C are softer)

Sounds nice. A-tongues for GS ski racin, and C- (maybe only on the rear boot) for deeep EC, and cross-under pumping.

bola is right, im afraid of what the ski boot trend will do to our companies (of course i wasnt thinking of this when i was getting mine), so dont go out and buy a pair of kryptons just because theres a couple of world cup guys wear them.

they are not an EC or freecarve boot

the kryptons are very stiff laterally, which doesnt allow for the body rotation that helps to get your shoulders lower. all of the deeluxe/raichle boots, head boots and etc. work for freecarving and EC because they flex laterally

this is used as a race boot BECAUSE it is stiff laterally, in racing you don't want your body to turn (that is the main difference between race and FC/EC); the lateral stiffness limits this movement.

don't turn this into a flame thread, just leave it right here.

I see your point Coloradoking and bola.

I should have mentioned that i consider the Kryptons only because they would let me swap between skis and board, when patrolling at work.

I need new skiboots, and really like the flex in 3-piece shells. I'm on Scarpas XT's with stiff flexon-comp tongues now, when skiing.

But I have softened up Stratos I can use for Free/EC when.... Im free. :)

I imagine that my TD's with soft E-rings, and converted from the stiffer step-in to standard fasteners, could make up for some of the Kryptons lateral rigidity.

I also ride with around 5-6 degrees front-toe, and back-heel lift.

Besides patroling, I'm also working as fireman, so no:flamethroin this thread!! :nono:

You definitely have ride a certain way with ski boots. Basically, tip the board on edge, then pressure. It took me about 3-4 runs to get used to it the first time I tried. If you ride with a rotational style, you end up on your ass.

Ski boots would not be my first choice with a snowboard but I was surprised that they rode better than I expected.

You definitely have ride a certain way with ski boots. Basically, tip the board on edge, then pressure. It took me about 3-4 runs to get used to it the first time I tried. If you ride with a rotational style, you end up on your ass.

Ski boots would not be my first choice with a snowboard but I was surprised that they rode better than I expected.

How stiff boots did you try?

Latteral stiffness of the boot has nothing to do with rotational technique. It affects your fore-aft mobillity with flatter angles, and power transfer to the edge with higher angles.

My Dalbello CarveX/CRX with BTS check list:

Compact race style - check

Rotation - check

Cros under/through/over - check

EC - check

Pow - check

Moguls - check

Narrow boards - check

Wide boards - check (release BTS)

Ok, they are not Kryptons, but more similar to Head Stratos...

Latteral stiffness of the boot has nothing to do with rotational technique. It affects your fore-aft mobillity with flatter angles, and power transfer to the edge with higher angles.

My Dalbello CarveX/CRX with BTS check list:

Compact race style - check

Rotation - check

Cros under/through/over - check

EC - check

Pow - check

Moguls - check

Narrow boards - check

Wide boards - check (release BTS)

Ok, they are not Kryptons, but more similar to Head Stratos...

You're right, my initial level of discomfort had more to do with the fore-aft stiffness. With my soft Raichles, I'm used to bending deep, pressuring the nose and whipping the board through the apex. With the ski boots, it was more of a let-it-ride feel. This was only one day but as the day wore on, I felt more and more comfortable.