Note to New Members ×

From SB224s to Head Ski Race boots....wow?

IronTom

Hi,

Been hard booting for a decade, and spent the whole time on Burton Fire's or Raichle' SB224s

6-3 and 182, most of my Coilers and Priors are 180-186cm

I run CATEKs all around (for now :) )

Anyway, due to a small parrts failure, I was S-Board bootless for a weekend, so I tried my GS ski Race boots...............(backstory: as an 'Old Guy, I thought only Uber-Boarders Like Mark Fawcett could run a ski boot....I was not worthy.)

Anyway, running a 115 stiffness index ski boot was F-ing AWESOME.

I just freecarve and racecarve (w/o racing)

Anyone else have experiences to add, or am I just a random outlier?

Thomas

In Washington State

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalbello:

Krypton, CarveX, Reflex

Raichle/Deeluxe:

Flexon, Free-Zone

Nordica old *81 series

Old Dachstein and Dynafit F3 with springs built in

Tecnica TNT/Icon

Forward lean is easilly compensated with binding heel lift...

UPZ s/b with DIN blocks

AT boots

I tried my Kryptons a few weeks ago to see how they rode compared to my Head Stratus pros. They have similar forward flex to the Heads but are quite a bit stiffer laterally. I ride steep angles so the lateral stiffness worked well for me. I still use the Heads for riding due to the shorter sole length and I like the convenience of step ins but I would be very happy riding in the Kryptons and will use them on days when I'll be doing both skiing and riding.

I notice the Krypton Pros use a hard buckle close the shell whereas the original Flexons and the new Full Tilts use cables. Does the buckle add a significant amount of stiffness? I would think so by looking at them. And isn't the tongue and cable system what makes the Flexon so smooth and still sought after?

The top and bottom buckle are "solid" but the middle buckle uses a cable and has the ribs which allow for smooth flex. There are a few models of Kryptons. and they have different flex indexes. Ski boots use a flex index to give a reference point for stiffness. I would guess that a least one of the Kryptons would have a flex number similar to a Full Tilt boot. The Full Tilt boot is a narrower fit than the Krypton. Kryptons can also be ordered with a thermoflex liner which will give more room in the boot, as well as a better fit, but depending on which liner is ordered it will affect the flex. The gold thermo liner will make the boot a bit stiffer.

Having said all this the best thing to do is try the boots on. I would get the one that fits the best. I got my Kryptons at Kenmark and they had a good selection last time I was there plus they do a good job of boot fitting.

what about the IL MORO? anyone tried it?

it's got the id thermo silver; and seems to a bit softer compare to the pro.

There is one thread about it:

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=178956

seems very interesting as it's "cheap" when on sale.

http://www.sierraskis.com/Dalbello-Krypton-Il-Moro-ID-59714.asp

--

David

Another model of the Krypton. The pro is stiffer. The pro goes from 100 to 140 in flex depending on which tongue and stiffeners are used. The Il Moro, I'm guessing, is 80 to 110. It is softer than the pro by quite a bit. The silver liner is softer than the gold liner also, but is a bit more comfortable than the gold. If you are prone to getting shin bite, the Il Moro with that big shin pad is the way to go. Really distributes the shin pressure nicely.

I notice the Krypton Pros use a hard buckle close the shell whereas the original Flexons and the new Full Tilts use cables. Does the buckle add a significant amount of stiffness? I would think so by looking at them. And isn't the tongue and cable system what makes the Flexon so smooth and still sought after?

I have ridden and skied both. They are very similar. It is the tongue design that really is the key and the tongues are practically identical. I like the Dalbello more than the flexon. I used to break the cables and crack the lower shells of the flexons. Fourth season in my Krypton Pros and they are doing great.

I use the thermo flex liners and the grey ( softer) tongues. I weigh 165 lbs.

does anybody have any experience with the Garmont mega-ride AT boot for carving? I recently picked up a pair for backcountry and wondering how they would do with carving....

Furi,

I was using them, but found that I had a had too much play on my ankles as there is no strap to hold your ankle back and down like the scarpa's. I like the Dynafits and Scarpas better..

cheers,

sandy

I have been riding on ski boots since the mid 90's. First with a pair of race stock Sanmarco TR2 (150 flex index) and then with a pair of TR3s (130 index). I found both boots pretty stiff and awkward. I had to ride with the upper buckles pretty much as loose as I could and not have them fall off. Maybe I should have spent more time working with cants but I think those boots kept me from getting hooked on snowboarding. (That and the advent of shaped skis...double carving is fun too!) Anything other than a perfectly groomed hill was no fun for me. In all honesty, I think my newer Nordica Doberman boots (also a 130 flex) would work much better because they have a much nicer forward flex to them than the older boots.

I just got my first set of hard boots. I'm hoping that they will make riding more enjoyable and I'm looking forward to taking it more seriously.

Now that my kids are skiing again, I have to find boots that go both ways. I'm going to look at Full Tilt and will see if I can find those Dalbellos. Anything else I should try that will give me enough forward lean and not be too stiff?
UPZ s/b with DIN blocks

On the subject of using the same boots for both, does anyone know if the UPZ DIN heel blocks fit onto Deeluxe boots? My first instinct would be yes since the heel shape is the same as intec heels which are universal, but i didn't know if they also form tot he shape of the back of the boot, or are situated in a strange angle or something.

Even though snowboard hardboots are typically considered too flexible for skiing, I have indy's, so I was thinking that maybe they might be stiff enough?

Another model of the Krypton. The pro is stiffer. The pro goes from 100 to 140 in flex depending on which tongue and stiffeners are used. The Il Moro, I'm guessing, is 80 to 110. It is softer than the pro by quite a bit. The silver liner is softer than the gold liner also, but is a bit more comfortable than the gold. If you are prone to getting shin bite, the Il Moro with that big shin pad is the way to go. Really distributes the shin pressure nicely.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

I kinda want to learn how to ski. Would those boots be a good idea to learn ski on?

Might have to pick up a pair when sierra have a 50%+ off in the summer time

Thanks

--

David

So...I want to get this straight (since I'm in the market for new boots)...can you ride *any* ski boots on standard carving bindings? Or just certain models (like the ones discussed in this thread?)

Are there types of ski boots to avoid for carving?

Just seeking general information (and also wondering why more carvers don't ride in ski boots?)

Thanks,

Scott

So...I want to get this straight (since I'm in the market for new boots)...can you ride *any* ski boots on standard carving bindings? Or just certain models (like the ones discussed in this thread?)

Just seeking general information (and also wondering why more carvers don't ride in ski boots?)

Thanks,

Scott

In general ski boots lack stepin capability, have much stiffer lateral flex, longer sole length, and lack foward lean/flex adjustment. there are exeptions listed in previous posts.

The Il Moro is a great boot to ski on, if it fits. The Dalbello's have the ability to change flex by changing the tongue and adding/subtracting flex stiffeners. Thats why the flex index is a range. I spent most of my ski past on race boots which had a flex index of 150(really bad on a snowboard!). I found the Krypton Pro's to be softer than what I was used too but they looked like a good idea as a cross over boot. Since I've had them I went from full stiff while skiing (140) to now using them as soft as I can (100) for both skiing and boarding and I'm not finding any problems with them at all for general skiing. The only time I miss the extra stiffness while skiing is on those really icy days when the extra response from a race boot would be nice. So to make a long story short, yes the Il Moro with an 80-110 flex would make a great boot, if it fits. It's not really wide but a good boot fitter can blow out the shell for more space if needed. The other thing is that the Dalbello Thermo liner is very thin compared to what comes in a Deluxe boot. Best thing is to try them at a ski shop to see how they fit and get a size that works for you before ordering online.

Any ski boot will fit into a hard boot binding but many are so stiff that they wouldn't ride well for most people. Ski boots, as mentioned, are stiffer sideways and most lack the needed forward flex.

my girlfriend runs her lange exclusive on my alpine board with excellent results... although she's a beginner so i dont think she could tell the difference:p

I do feel at times my snowboard boots dont give me the lateral support i want, maybe because i have the deeluxe T325s with the weak cant adjuster.

Does the T700(AF) shell offer a lot more lateral support?

Thanks,

Scott

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boots.html#ski

**disclamer**

I have not tried it and are looking to get a pair ski boot for both ski/snowboard.

Just to share some of the infomation I found.

Raichle Flexon have the "right flex" and many have use it with great success.

However it was discontinued.

Fulltilt ski boot bought the mold and it's bascily the same as origional flexon. ie bumbble bee

dalbello krypton line is based on the flexon design. However they did make some improvement on them.

The goal for me is to have 3 boots in one. Alpine touring boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_touring_binding

Which mean you can use it on approach ski to skin your way to back country.

You can use the same boot on your alpine board.

You can also use it for inbound ski.

Backcountry Access Naxo nx22 is the type of binding you would use.

--

David