Note to New Members ×

Anyone know anything about this board??? - Rebagliati Olympic board on ebay

MUD

I believe that is a 24/7 but not what Ross was riding in the big show. Ross rode 24/7 the year following the olympics. Ross was on one of his old F2's for the olympics.

See Oly vid here http://www.rossrebagliati.com/

That is just a signed board.

Ink

IIRC all of his boards got stolen a short period before (a couple of months or so) the olympics so he had to scramble to put an order in to F2 to get him some more boards.

later,

Dave R.

Yeah, it was definitely a black board he rode in Nagano; I still remember watching it.

As an aside, when I watch videos again and browse around freeriding vids on his page I still don't like the way Rebagliati rides; wild, out-of-control upper body with arms flailing around his body. He kinda looks like me! :p

greg

If you look at the vid from the link I posted it shows the board that is in the pic that Tex posted. It was a dark green F2 that Ross raced in the Olympics.

In September '98 I had the opportunity to train at Mt Hood with Coach Karl Michael(sp?) and Ross. On the first day Ross showed up on this same Olympics race winning board. Ross was staying at the home of Kildy and Chris Carol who were doing the 24/7 thing at the time. On day two and each day after that Ross was riding prototype 24/7's, some with an extreme hammerhead similar to Kessler and SG of today. Coach and I had dinner at the Kildy/Carol house after training one day. There was a lot of discussion about board design, building and tuning.

Ink

not sure that's the gold medal run...but a different board under his feet in Nagano...

I'm 99% certain this picture is from a training run. I say this because the video of his second run shows a very overcast foggy course, and that pic is taken in brilliant sunshine. One thing I find funny is that in the auction, the seller never actually says it was the board used in the winning run, but claims it when asked specifically.

later,

Dave R.

I asked the seller, he claims it's the board Ross rode in the gold medal race. FOS?

Did you set him straight? BTW what does FOS mean, or can you say it here?

This is the same link Jack posted with Kildy regarding kildyflex etc.. If you go to page 2, post#41, the girl on the far right, Saundra, her board is very similar to the one in the auction, but has an updated plate with no split. It's a 24/7.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22643&page=2

later,

Dave R.

I'm 99% certain this picture is from a training run. I say this because the video of his second run shows a very overcast foggy course, and that pic is taken in brilliant sunshine. One thing I find funny is that in the auction, the seller never actually says it was the board used in the winning run, but claims it when asked specifically.

later,

Dave R.

You are probably right in the photo being training. The vid shows the same board when Ross gets off at the finish so the one that the seller is trying to claim as the Gold Medal winner would be incorrect.

Ink

Thanks JM. It's pretty clear in the video that the board he's riding doesn't have a plate. Mr. seller, yer' bustid.

later,

Dave R.

hi DAVE R.

last year, bomberonline member SNOWCARVER was selling a board with the same topsheet as the 1998 gold medal winning board. here is the link:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=196110#post196110

btw INKAHOLIC's vid only shows the second run. the topsheet is more visible in the first run as it was still sunny and bright with unlimited visibility. the foggy conditions didn't set in until the beginning of the second run. the first run also shows the true highlight of the 1998 olympic's--MARK FAWCETT's broken board. give RUWI or BLUEB a call as i left a copy of the vid for them about a month ago.

That board is not my Olympic board. I used a dark green F2 board from 1994 to win the Olympics. And no, I would never sign and give away my Olympic board.

~Ross

Very interesting, thanks for coming by to say so. Is that even your signature?

Wow, 4 year old tech to win gold!! Impressive! Also I was watching the youtube of your gold medal run thinking oh my god, fog, flat light, my nightmare conditions. Congrats again.

January 1998 I had a World Cup race in Europe. The airline lost all my luggage. I had to borrow gear for everyone....the Italian team gave me boots, Germany gave me a speedsuit, etc. One of my friends gave me an old board that was a prototype I had designed for F2 years before. I had changed board sponsors since 1994 and was riding a different board, but after riding my old board I realized my prototype was way better than anything out there. I went home and picked up one of my old boards that my coach was trying to sell for me and took it to the Olympics and won on that board.

The top board right now is of course Kessler.

The board up on the auction is my signature...it looks like one of the boards that the airline lost in Jan. 1998.