Note to New Members ×

CRAZY idea

DiveBomber

I know this board isnt used to this, So I got my nomex on.

Binding float.

Some times i want to be able to adjust my binding angles a little. Found out this weekend, moving on notch (3 deg) on race plates made a big difference. though at times I wanted to move it back.

So I was thinking, just like on clipless pedals, why not a tiny bit (3-5deg) of float? Loaded float not loose!

Im sure there are times while riding, atleast in a certain instance you may have wish for slightly different angles, even if just for a moment.

Talk amongst yourselves:lurk:

I think the concept sounds good if you had the option of locking it out,

the problem is when you introduce more movement into the system, the stress on the binding parts and mounting screws increases exponentially.

too much potential for parts failure - I would be hesitant to ride anything with excessive movement - hell, I don't ride burtons for that reason...but I am on the heavy end of the rider spectrum.

get catek WCs, probably have 3 degrees difference in how your boot can fit in the binding.

after riding a few runs you'd find that your front foot would creep to higher angles.

this would happen due to the width of the back bail, the fix was good ol duct tape

I once had a conversation with Michael Lambert (currently on the Canadian national team) about binding 'float'. He was quite excited about having switched to F2 step-ins because he found that by leaving the toe bails a little loose on the adjusters, he could slide the toe of his boot back and forth and obtain a couple of degrees difference in angle while in the course. It would be very handy to have this small adjustment when you want to drive the board into harder carves. Can't recall what boots he was riding but they did not fit tightly between the plastic 'ears' that support the toe bails.

I have not ridden F2 step-ins until this year and I have not tried Michael's tweak. Might be worth a few runs to experiment with it.

Not gonna happen.

I think if you are caused to think about your feet this much while riding, there is something wrong with your setup. When you are set up properly, your feet disappear, and they just do what you want.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. If my angles don't feel right, I tweak them until I no longer notice them.

I once had a conversation with Michael Lambert (currently on the Canadian national team) about binding 'float'. He was quite excited about having switched to F2 step-ins because he found that by leaving the toe bails a little loose on the adjusters, he could slide the toe of his boot back and forth and obtain a couple of degrees difference in angle while in the course. It would be very handy to have this small adjustment when you want to drive the board into harder carves. Can't recall what boots he was riding but they did not fit tightly between the plastic 'ears' that support the toe bails.

I have not ridden F2 step-ins until this year and I have not tried Michael's tweak. Might be worth a few runs to experiment with it.

Have another talk with him and ask how many bails he has broken. Cyclic loading due to improper preload of the bails, is a most excellent recipe for fatigue failure. :)