Note to New Members ×

Is EC carving your goal?

SWriverstone

Is (or was) EC style your ultimate goal in carving?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Is (or was) EC style your ultimate goal in carving?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • Other (explain please!)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Angulation + super low stance such as what CMC or the Carvefather do have worked so well for all the riding issues I've had. Perhaps if I had snow instead of 2 inches of slurpee over ice I'd have a different experience. :biggthump

Cheers,

Theo

4 out of the past 5 weekends has been hero snow conditions in So Cal. The carving conditions in the morning don't get much better in So Cal. To get better conditions, you'll have to go to Mammoth or do less night sessions ;)

It was wicked cold today @ my home mountain, but I had to go out anyway and teach a school lesson. After it, I found the conditions were suprisingly sweet on soft boots for makig Arcs and decided to change to Hard.

O

M

G

:eek:

Edgehold that was incredible, and I could do no wrong.

SO !

What do I decide to do? Push the envlope. I try some full rotation heelside EC style carves (that laid out pic of Casper as my inspiration) and well..... it needs work, but With this proper kind of snow, I can definately see the confidence level go way way way up with really setting edges and hammering turns. I was impressed with myself and quite happy (and now exhausted).

I can only hope it is as good tomorrow.... I really want to nail this heelside and get rid of the slamming hip action I seem to have newly discovered with heel rear foot chattering out. I just need to find the right spot for my body to be in and hold it in the carve. I think I need ot be a bit more on the tail.

Time will tell.

I think it's really good question to ask whether an EC turn like Arnaud's pic above counts as a "controlled fall?" Or as an "EC turn?" (Nothing against you Arnaud!)

The fact is that nobody other than the person actually doing it can tell which it is when you're dragging an entire leg, part of a torso, and both arms in the snow.

Maybe a better term for EC would be "body skid!" Seriously, why not just call it "body skidding?" ...

Proof is in the tracks. Look at tracks that are uphill of Arnaud. Looks like a carve, smells like a carve, tastes like a carve:biggthump

Have you ever seen a great tennis player hit only fore arm or a great pitcher limited to one ball?

It is fun to play around and find out what you can do on the board. Carving could get old if we did not try to invent and adapt. I admit that EC got me into the sport, but I have progressed beyond it. Now I am good enough to focus on nuanced riding... trying it all out based on snow conditions and board.

That said, I still love laid out Super G carves down the steeps.

Is there realistically a way to drive the board from such a relatively non-agressive position?

Generally, one is only fully extended for a short time as you push into the apex of the carve and then pull into the transition. It is the push that keeps the edge engaged while your body unweights. This is the exhilarating part, especially if your feet are uphill of your head. The pull afterwards is the real challenge as the rider pulls in the knees while absorbing the G force.

I really love the pull part, too. So many things that you can do with it... For instance you can retract quicker then equilibrium of the forces required, you would feel very little Gs, but you would get flipped over into the next turn like a rocket. Or, pull gradually and then do another very quick push at the end, to load the tail, then even quicker small pull - you'll pop of the snow into the next turn!

I can only hope it is as good tomorrow.... I really want to nail this heelside and get rid of the slamming hip action I seem to have newly discovered with heel rear foot chattering out. I just need to find the right spot for my body to be in and hold it in the carve. I think I need ot be a bit more on the tail.

Time will tell.

I assume you're pushing during the heelside, don't forget to rotate as well ( over rotate actually) twist them hips and get the trailing shoulder around.

Imagine trying to drive the nose of the board into the hardpack.

Hope this helps.