Note to New Members ×

A Couple Rookie Questions

crazyTKDsquirrel

Hey guys,

I've always wondered how wide or how narrow my stance should be when I board. Shoulder width? What evers most comfortable?

Also, angles! How aggressive (or subtle) should the angles be? Again, what evers comfortable? I know they should reflect on the type of riding, but again, I'm still a new guy and don't know all these little details (but I'm learning!) :)

If it matters, I'm on a 156 Bodyglove freestyle board with freestyle bindings (51F/42R) and SBs. haha. Yeah, inadequate, I know, but it's all I have until I can wrangle up some money to get myself a setup. Let me tell ya, I CAN'T WAIT!!! :cool:

Stand next to your board on a level floor. looking straight ahead (NOT AT YOUR FEET) jump up in the air (about a foot or so) and land on both feet in a stable slightly wider stance than you would if you were just standing. You should repeat the landing locations, and it should feel comfortable, not like you have to force your feet apart.

Mark that or measure the center distance. Now rotate your feet to about the stance angle. Do the same thing. Set the bindings some where between the two measurements.

Hey Squirrel Try about .6 x leg inseam.

That's a good place to start, but width also depends on the amount of toe/heel lift you use. Using the above equation, my stance width should be ~18.5". I ride with a 6* gas pedal up front and 3* heel lift in back; bindings are set at ~19.75".

As far as binding angles, I prefer as square as possible without having any overhang. This way I am pressuring the edge as much as possible.

It's all personal preference. Don't be afraid to to tinker and adjust.

Hey Squirrel Try about .6 x leg inseam.

Mine comes out to more like .65 x inseam (using my 30" inseam # from a pair of jeans). I also have a 6 degree heel lift on rear and 3 degree toe lift on front. I used to ride with an 18" stance width, but switched a few years ago, especially after moving to TD2s with cant/lift.

If it matters, I'm on a 156 Bodyglove freestyle board with freestyle bindings (51F/42R) and SBs.
If by "SBs" you mean soft boots, not Raichle SBs, then 51/42 is not going to work very well for you. I'd back those angles back under 40 degrees, you might try 30f/15r as a starting point for a carve-y softy setup.

If by "SBs" you mean soft boots, not Raichle SBs, then 51/42 is not going to work very well for you. I'd back those angles back under 40 degrees, you might try 30f/15r as a starting point for a carve-y softy setup.

I'll second that. Soft boots just don't have the stiffness to be ridden with those aggressive angles. You need to use the highback to apply the pressure.

for carving in softboots, your stance width should be an inch or two wider than shoulder width, and your angles should be greater than 0 such that no part of your boot/binding hangs out past the edge of the board when viewed from above.

Agreed, and if the no-overhang method gives you crazy high angles, your board is not wide enough.

Hey Squirrel Try about .6 x leg inseam. your angles look good for that board, narrower board higher angles. That Bodyglove is stiffer than a lot of freestyles. What size boots do you wear? I have some 27/27.5 and an extra setup you could borrow for a day at Bogus

Oh...oh wow. I'm almost speechless. Thank you soo much brussell. You have no idea how huge this is for me. I've been wanting to set foot on an alpine board for a long time, but haven't been able to due to finances and not knowing anyone that rides alpine. But then I found this site!!

There is one problem though; I'm currently at the U of I in Moscow. We have a 3 day weekend in 2 weeks...could I possibly take your offer at that time? As for the boots, my soft boots are 9.5, but theres a number on the boot that says 27.5. Does this sound correct?

Thank you so much for the offer! :)

Yes, I meant soft boots, I'm sorry.

As for the angles, I'm not suprised. Even though it feels really comfortable, I could feel my boots and bindings flex like no other. I was actually afraid I was going to over torque them and break them. I'll play around with more subtle angles tonight...

I'll second that. Soft boots just don't have the stiffness to be ridden with those aggressive angles. You need to use the highback to apply the pressure.

I know. :( I knew the second I tried to do the "norm" with those angles...I just couldn't get enough pressure on the edges to carve correctly. I could haul ass and turn pretty sharp, but no carves. :p

Thank you all for the advice!! Every bit is extremely helpful.

Squirrel E-mail me 3-4 days before u come down ibrussell at yahoo dot com w'll set up a time to meet and get set up. We can go up ride for a day. I'm in the northend. Wonderin were you got your board? Big5? If so I might have sold it to you. I have same in a 149 for my daughter. She's run plates on them for four years.

Squirrel E-mail me 3-4 days before u come down ibrussell at yahoo dot com w'll set up a time to meet and get set up. We can go up ride for a day. I'm in the northend. Wonderin were you got your board? Big5? If so I might have sold it to you. I have same in a 149 for my daughter. She's run plates on them for four years.

Really! I actually got my board from a racer. I think her name was Tara. She won gold at a World competition (?) and gets new boards pretty much every year (all freestyle boards). She sold it to me for about 125 with bindings...I thought it was a good deal for a beginner setup (this was last season in Janurary).

Do you know any specs on this board? I've been trying to find something but haven't even been able to find a pic. By plates do you mean plate bindings and hardboots? If so, how is it working for her?

And okay, I'll make sure to shoot you an email before I head down.

Thanks again man, this is a really big favor.

Gus

Stand next to your board on a level floor. looking straight ahead (NOT AT YOUR FEET) jump up in the air (about a foot or so) and land on both feet in a stable slightly wider stance than you would if you were just standing. You should repeat the landing locations, and it should feel comfortable, not like you have to force your feet apart.

Mark that or measure the center distance. Now rotate your feet to about the stance angle. Do the same thing. Set the bindings some where between the two measurements.

That sounds like a logical way to determine a stance for slopestyle type landings.

________

Synthetic Weed

Oddly enough.. I don't have much stance width difference personally from hard boots to soft boots when deciding to make the board a carving machine. The main issue I have is the inserts on soft boots might not be close enough..as on my Rossignol 168 Judge powderboard which I ride about 19.5.

I think in some other thread I misquoted the binding constant before (I think I said .67 ....ooooooops... I checked the math and found it was actually 1.67) we used to take our inseam length and divide it by 1.67.

So 31 inch inseam yields a 18.5 inch stance.

Its very close to the length from your naked heel on the floor to the hinge point in your knee. Often if setting up people without measuring stuff I just have then take off their socks

________

Ex250J

Again, it varies a lot from board to board and rider to rider.

Good place to start is centered on the inserts applying the desired stance length. Manufacturer has put R&D into the product and they have the idea where the sweet spot was. I find the majority of the boards to carve the best right there. I only found couple of pow orientated boards to carve better with stance shifted back and only one carve specific board shifted forward. However, many people here like their bindings slightly forward.

Powder is another story and majority likes the bindings slightly back.

About where should the bindings be on the board? More to the rear? Towards the center? :confused:

It's all personal preference. Start off in the center and you'll do alright. I prefer my bindings set way back, but that's just me.