Note to New Members ×

Custom topsheet for my new Coiler...

skidad62

I've been toying with the thought of doing a custom topsheet on my new Coiler AM 176 Titanal that Bruce is building for me... I need your input...

I don't want to hold up production - but with SES coming up I've got a couple of weeks to get the topsheet printed and sent to Bruce... those with experience - think the timelines can match up?

I was thinking of a top sheet that incorporates one of my summer addictions - my supercharged Mustang...

Here's the topsheet mock up in a low res jpeg verison that I Photoshopped up (I've got a clean 30mg PNG file set to 184 x 33 cm ready to be couriered to snowboardmaterials.com for printing). I presume I can just pay to have them courier it directly to Bruce from there.

The other option would be just to go with a standard tribal topsheet...

FowlerCoilerAM176.jpg

Lemme know whatcha think! I'd love your thoughts and input on turnaround times from snowboardmaterials.com

Thanks Steve

Talk to Lindsay at snowboard materials. Ask how he sends it.. I sometimes have it shipped next day to me (cleveland) then I send it us mail global priority and has never been held up.. But maybe thats luck.. but I send stuff USPS all the time and find that it does get held up.. even to Finland!!

Right said Shred...maybe

...if you go for the custom topsheet. Snowboard Materials will do a great job with the graphics...eventually. And the topsheet will get held up at CDN customs so that they can admire it for a while. You really need at least 2 months lead time for the custom topsheet.

Seriously?

I just placed an order for a top sheet that is supposed to be printed this week and shipped to Bruce. Please tell me that this is not how it usually works.

Sorry Speed that is how it is currently working.

My topsheet is sitting somewhere along the border along with 7 or so others that Lindsay completed and shipped to BV.

I know mine was printed and shipped over a month ago and still no word on it getting thru. As BV told me, this time of year is not good for shipping efficiency. I left it with bruce to contact me when it arrives, cant do anything about. I was even considering having another sheet printed and expedited just so i can get the board. I can hang the extra in my home office, but is it worth the $$$? My luck it gets shipped and BV sends an email saying it just arrived.

My board has been done for close to two weeks now, test ridden by Bruce and ready to topsheet press and get it out to me , but with no topsheet, it just waits in his shop for its custom cover.:(

Photodad: reach out to Steve Fleck. He helped me with my sheet and a few others I have seen on site and its very reasonable and Steve is very creative in his disigns and open to input.

If you are looking for opinions, I say a big NO on the car graphics. What I would suggest is putting a pic of the galloping horse that is the mustang signature. That way you can still feel your kinship with the car and if someone inquires you can just say I drive a thoroughbred and I ride one also.

OVR, I think you are on point with that. Looking at the first draft, it looks like one of those boards that might be given away at a beer sponsored event.

Maybe have an oversized mustang head from the side that would cut off at the horse forehead and just under the chin. Stretch half the length of the board or maybe whole. Put some menacing eyes on it.

Let the graphics represent what they mean to you without directly feeding to others who look at it. If I can find the one website I went to for digital art, there may be some ideas in there.

If you are looking for opinions, I say a big NO on the car graphics. What I would suggest is putting a pic of the galloping horse that is the mustang signature. That way you can still feel your kinship with the car and if someone inquires you can just say I drive a thoroughbred and I ride one also.

+1 on that one.

You made it look more like a car forum signature than a snowboard.

Good luck, I ordered my topsheet months ago and still no board. Maybe this week, maybe next, maybe before SES, who knows. Maybe if you order it now you can have it for 2011 because between now and the olympics all the chi-chi la-la people are going to want boards and you and I will be stuck waiting.

I think the main goal of a custom top sheet is to get what you want? So if its your taste, then I can't comment on that.

If its what you like and want well, I would remove the TURBO picture has you have a SUPERCHARGER... Maybe the tires are too much... Try to find a picture with no license plate on the car...

If I was going to put a car theme, I'll try to find a picture of a Mustang front end only. The dimension of your board is probably close to the front grille set-up you have on your car. I would keep the board black, put both headlights on respective nose/tail, the Mustang sign between the plates etc... Keep the car black and fade it on the side walls of the boards to make the impression like if the car was coming from the board at full speed but "subtile" keep it low profile: black/ flat black something like that...

But hey, that's my 2 cents and you do whatever you want. Just trying to understand your personal interest and helping you out to materialize it...

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks for all the input guys. Ive decided to go with a standard topsheet and emailed Bruce today.

On the turbo vs supercharger observation... The actual pictures are my stang and my supercharger headunit (Vortech V2-SQ SI trim with a custom Procharger intercooler). :)

Sorry Speed that is how it is currently working.

My topsheet is sitting somewhere along the border along with 7 or so others that Lindsay completed and shipped to BV.

I know mine was printed and shipped over a month ago and still no word on it getting thru. As BV told me, this time of year is not good for shipping efficiency. I left it with bruce to contact me when it arrives, cant do anything about. I was even considering having another sheet printed and expedited just so i can get the board. I can hang the extra in my home office, but is it worth the $$$? My luck it gets shipped and BV sends an email saying it just arrived.

My board has been done for close to two weeks now, test ridden by Bruce and ready to topsheet press and get it out to me , but with no topsheet, it just waits in his shop for its custom cover.:(

Photodad: reach out to Steve Fleck. He helped me with my sheet and a few others I have seen on site and its very reasonable and Steve is very creative in his disigns and open to input.

All tops are in now. Some came in real fast as Lindsay must have just used to opportunity to all ship together. some apparently ended up in Australia.

It is real hit and miss as he is busy and shipping is iffy esp around Xmas.

Will take a few days to get them all installed as I was hoping to get a few at a time, not all 8:eek:

BV

Just as a heads up guys. My cusyom printing equipment is only in use about 1/4 of the time, so quick turn arounds are no problem. I have no problem doing something like this and sending it on to Bruce. There would be no need to deliver a physical CD of the artwork either. I can work with you to get the file down to 2 Megs without any loss of image quality.

Here's the topsheet mock up in a low res jpeg verison that I Photoshopped up (I've got a clean 30mg PNG file set to 184 x 33 cm ready to be couriered to snowboardmaterials.com for printing). I presume I can just pay to have them courier it directly to Bruce from there.

I receive large files all the time through theses guys from different photographers and they print perfectly. I am starting to do custom printing for a few photogs that are getting published in Powder and Ski and stuff.

Works great and I believe it's free.

http://www.yousendit.com/

Would save a day or two and shipping charges if they will receive it that way.

Just as a heads up guys. My cusyom printing equipment is only in use about 1/4 of the time, so quick turn arounds are no problem. I have no problem doing something like this and sending it on to Bruce. There would be no need to deliver a physical CD of the artwork either. I can work with you to get the file down to 2 Megs without any loss of image quality.

What a guy. I just found out about the origins of the name Donek too from your site. Didn't know that before.

Makes sense now. Have I been living in a cave?

Faster than Peregrine? I thought they did like 225 mph. Wow.

Try the yousendit thint with no downsize. Works great.

That UPS van should be running a skull and crossbones as their brokerage fees are nothing but paying ransom for your parcel.

Hear hear!

I got a used pair of Salomon Malamutes cheap on eBay a couple weeks ago; the value was $100 US (declared). UPS charged me $57 in brokerage fees to get it across the border (from Boston to Nova Scotia).

But, get this: included in that is a $4.50 fee for having to collect the brokerage fees C.O.D. when they deliver the package. Yes, that's right. They charged me… for charging me!

Last time I ever, ever use UPS. Ever. Period. :angryfire

greg

Sean,

That's very cool of you to offer this. Can you tell us about any difference in the material you use vs what is used at snowboardmaterials. My Donek topsheets look like they are printed on a type of fabric so I'm wondering how a high gloss image would look.

And what would your cost be?

Hear hear!

I got a used pair of Salomon Malamutes cheap on eBay a couple weeks ago; the value was $100 US (declared). UPS charged me $57 in brokerage fees to get it across the border (from Boston to Nova Scotia).

But, get this: included in that is a $4.50 fee for having to collect the brokerage fees C.O.D. when they deliver the package. Yes, that's right. They charged me… for charging me!

Last time I ever, ever use UPS. Ever. Period. :angryfire

greg

Sorry to hear about that. Whenever I buy something on ebay I make sure the seller will or is willing to ship with USPS. As you well know every other company will try to rape, screw, and shaft you whatever way that they can. If the seller won't ship via USPS I won't buy it.

later,

Dave R.

HEAR HEAR!!!!

$200 used board, $215 brokerage fees....

and please come pick up in three days waaaaaaay north of the city or we keep it.

i can go on, but we might be highjacking the thread.... dont get me started on bike parts... :AR15firin

It only takes once doesn't it? USPS / Canada post all the way.

later,

Dave R.