Note to New Members ×

TD3 Skwal Reveiw

*Ace*

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my TD3 Skwal bindings in today.

Rode them only for about an hour tonight.

They feel like a TD1, really solid.

They weight about 1/2 as much.

Bigger footprint than I thought it would be.

The solid toe bail stop is AWESOME!

Along with the new steel receivers.

A+!

There are no markings on the cant disks either.

Binding angles are a shot in the dark.

No marking to indicate the degree cant either. Can make it tricky choosing between 3* and 6* if you are looking quickly. Nothing a sharpee can't fix though.

If you have small feet, it can be tricky setting up the bindings. The toe and heel blocks(receiver) covers the screws and requires you to set the binding angle AND THEN attach the toe and heel blocks(receiver). I am sure it is like this on the regular model TD3 too. I use UPZ RTR boots size 27-27.5 MONDO and I am close the smallest boot setting.

Here is a pic

td3skwal.jpg

*Virus Gladiator*

• 2 weeks later...

I have TD2/TD3 cant disks, so I guess I can still benefit if need be.

The TD2/TD3 cant disks hang off the edges of the 3D topsheet a tad, pretty close to the edges. Thats why I went with the Skwal kit.

I don't like a lot of flex in my bindings, so this works really well.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally on a REAL Skwal.

What is the deal with your safety leash? I've seen those before and they look great but...did you make it? Buy it? Have a close-up of it?

and...just to sound totally ignorant...what does the name "Skwal" mean? I'm thinking it's easier to say than..."narrow a$$ alpine snowboard" but that's just a guess :)

What is the deal with your safety leash? I've seen those before and they look great but...did you make it? Buy it? Have a close-up of it?

and...just to sound totally ignorant...what does the name "Skwal" mean? I'm thinking it's easier to say than..."narrow a$$ alpine snowboard" but that's just a guess :)

1/16 Stainless Cable, about 1'

ss_aircraft_cable.jpg

Aluminum Duplex Sleeve

119-duplexsleeves.jpg

I made a loop on the first toe buckle on my boot with the cable too.

I'll get some pics with boot in a few mins...

I've never seen a board like that on the slopes

might as well throw some bindings on a ski

not unless you have a ski that's stiff enough to withstand the forces it would endure. The lacroix skwals in particular have a reputation as "steel bars".

Skwals are insane. Going to a skwal from an alpine rig is sorta like the step from a softboot freeride rig to harbboots and alpine. Almost the same, but - "more".

Chime in..feel free....it looks like this would be such a challenging ride. On one hand, I'm sure it slices like a scalpel but on the other hand, I have a tough time imagining the g-forces pulling in-and-out of turns on steep pitches. The angles are so severe-I'm no newb but I look at a skwal and feel like I couldn't possibly perform on it and even more, wouldn't enjoy it. What is the attraction and I guess more directed to Ace, do you really enjoy this over some of the other stuff in the quiver? Would you prefer to ride Shred's Schtubb-eez? Just curious..to me it's like carrying a 1-iron...sure I could keep it in the bag and hit it like shoit so why carry it?

Chime in..feel free....it looks like this would be such a challenging ride. On one hand, I'm sure it slices like a scalpel but on the other hand, I have a tough time imagining the g-forces pulling in-and-out of turns on steep pitches. The angles are so severe-I'm no newb but I look at a skwal and feel like I couldn't possibly perform on it and even more, wouldn't enjoy it. What is the attraction and I guess more directed to Ace, do you really enjoy this over some of the other stuff in the quiver? Would you prefer to ride Shred's Schtubb-eez? Just curious..to me it's like carrying a 1-iron...sure I could keep it in the bag and hit it like shoit so why carry it?

Yeah, I'd like to ask a quick question that this post touches on....can you flex and extend like on an alpine board or are you more restricted?

Everything looks to be the same except you have no ankles to prevent edge catches or, ironically, for quick cross unders. Either way, they look fun as hell and I want one.

Ghey Techno free of charge:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ezPYQPU0o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Do I enjoy it more?

I'll get back to you on that one. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

It definetly looks challenging, and I think it has pros and cons just like any other winter sport that you see out there. A lot of it is opinion.

Just comparing Shred's Metal Schtubbs and X-Series boards to the boards that I have in my quiver is like comparing apples to oranges. Those metal Coilers are completely different than the carbon/zylon boards that are in my quiver. Is one better than the other? No, I don't think so. They all ride differently and have their own place.

All that being said, it really is like having a 1 or 2 iron in the bag. Sure you never really use it, or see people that do. Why not just get a utility wood (metal schtubb). Sure Tiger Woods could hit a 3 or 5 wood off the tee, but isn't that stinger 2 iron shot he has just simply beautiful? So, a 1 or 2 iron can be like magic if used right. That way I see it. I compare the boards in my quiver to a set of muscle back irons. Shred's Metal Schtubbs and X-Series boards feel like a set of hybrid iron-woods with a massive sweet spot. Both are great and both can deliver outstanding results.

He doesn't look like he just tried it out for giggles. Impressive carving. Noticing that the pistes are a touch wider than what I'm used to. I have a tough time thinking of runs where I feel like I can open up my Virus, feel comfortable and be crisp all at the same time. I know Okemo has some nice fat, wide runs but here in Maine, the River and the Loaf, there are very few that resemble the euro 30-40meter wide runs they enjoy. Probably wrong but often these vids don't look like they're coming from these pahts of da woods.

Well put-probably why I carry a 3wood, 5 wood 7wood and 9wood...I didn't like the 11 wood...made me feel like I was cheating...like A-roid

Do I enjoy it more?

I'll get back to you on that one. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

It definetly looks challenging, and I think it has pros and cons just like any other winter sport that you see out there. A lot of it is opinion.

Just comparing Shred's Metal Schtubbs and X-Series boards to the boards that I have in my quiver is like comparing apples to oranges. Those metal Coilers are completely different than the carbon/zylon boards that are in my quiver. Is one better than the other? No, I don't think so. They all ride differently and have their own place.

All that being said, it really is like having a 1 or 2 iron in the bag. Sure you never really use it, or see people that do. Why not just get a utility wood (metal schtubb). Sure Tiger Woods could hit a 3 or 5 wood off the tee, but isn't that stinger 2 iron shot he has just simply beautiful? So, a 1 or 2 iron can be like magic if used right. That way I see it. I compare the boards in my quiver to a set of muscle back irons. Shred's Metal Schtubbs and X-Series boards feel like a set of hybrid iron-woods with a massive sweet spot. Both are great and both can deliver outstanding results.

Well the test ride of the Thias Skwal Easy Jungle 165, 8m sidecut was last night.

Conditions were absolutely perfect for it too. Some might say a little to soft, but I thought it was perfect. The 8-12" of snow we got the other day was a VERY nice packed powder. You could dig as deep as you like. I wish brought a camera with me. I wanted to switch to my other carving boards, but just couldn't get away from the Skwal.

This board DEMANDS you attention at all times. You have to be aware of your speed at all times. Once you start picking up speed you run the risk of being ejected over the edge, which happened more than once to me. I had my bindings setup as wide as they would go.

Riding a Skwal seems to put a lot more of the pressure on your knees and quads. Definetely felt like the bastard child of alpine and ski carving for the frist few runs. Once I got the hang of it, it was an absolute BLAST! I was being launched in the air in between my tiny little arcs in the snow. I am pretty sure I was leaving trenches that were deeper than this board is wide. The snow looked like it had some crazy DNA structures running all the way down the hill. More than once I saw someone track into one of my death trenches and bite the bullet.

Do yourselves a favor and get on one of these things if you can.