Note to New Members ×

Ski Board?... I kind of like it

trikerdad

I've been riding in hard boots for about 15 years now and, of all the things I've heard my boards called, I thought "Ski Board" sounded the most ignorant. I guess it's because that's what a Red Neck I used to work with called them. But, after a lifty said "Oh, a ski board" as I was getting on the chair this morning, I spent the ride up thinking about it. When asked "what do you call that" or "what is that", usually by a long time skier, I've always said it's a carving board, alpine board or race board but, have avoided "snowboard". The reason being that I try to disassociate myself from the jibbers with their attitudes and bad language and the toadstools sitting in the middle of the runs. Since carving is really a lot more like skiing, what with using angulation and hard boots than what most snowbaorders do, I think skiers whould relate better to "Ski Board" than "Snowboard". After all, a "carving board" is something you slice a roast on and, what does "Alpine" mean? So, from now on, I ride a "Ski Board".:)

Already taken: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/

In fact the top of the line skiboard binding is made by Fin!!!

And they like snowboard hardboots to ride skiboards on Bomber bindings.

I've been riding in hard boots for about 15 years now and, of all the things I've heard my boards called, I thought "Ski Board" sounded the most ignorant. I guess it's because that's what a Red Neck I used to work with called them. But, after a lifty said "Oh, a ski board" as I was getting on the chair this morning, I spent the ride up thinking about it. When asked "what do you call that" or "what is that", usually by a long time skier, I've always said it's a carving board, alpine board or race board but, have avoided "snowboard". The reason being that I try to disassociate myself from the jibbers with their attitudes and bad language and the toadstools sitting in the middle of the runs. Since carving is really a lot more like skiing, what with using angulation and hard boots than what most snowbaorders do, I think skiers whould relate better to "Ski Board" than "Snowboard". After all, a "carving board" is something you slice a roast on and, what does "Alpine" mean? So, from now on, I ride a "Ski Board".:)

Historically speaking. "Ski Board" , as much as I didn't care for it, was a part of early snowboard pioneering. Pre-80ish it was common for "Snowboarding" to be called a number of different things, depending on where, what and with who you were riding. "Wintersticking", "Snow Surfing" "Sticking", and "Ski Boarding" were all common terms. Tom Sims first line of snowboards were in fact referred to as "Ski Boards", so in effect, we are the cause for the early confusion about what to be called?

Bryan , The Snowboarder!!! :)

post-198-141842267938_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842267941_thumb.jpg

At my local ski area, there is so much lack of knowledge as to what a snowboard is that it is laughable, at best. For instance, this past week I've been riding a swallowtail snowboard for the current soft powder snow conditions. I've heard it called an 'old school board', 'one of those snurfer boards', and a 'splitboard'. Today, there was a boarder wearing a purple Crown Royal bottle sack as a hat (WTF?) telling me that Sims created the snowboard and that Burton got mad and left to create Burton boards. I asked him what Sims first name was. "Jake. Jake Sims. He's the one who invented the snowboard." That's what I get for riding with polygamist inbreds in Utah.

So, it's not getting any better out there. I've just learned to treat each one as a case by case situation. If the person/interviewer is able to form simple sentences and seems coherent, I'll usually try and give a basic explanation of my equipment choice and give them a BOL card. If not, I just turn up the iPod and smile as if I have stomach gas or I'm wetting myself.

I've also been watching World Cup skiing more than I watch the up and coming sketch-monsters of half-pipe riding sponsored by who-ever-paid-the-most-money-for-advertising-this-year tour lately. At least with WC skiing, the skiers aren't half the dirtbags the chanting crowds are.

Mark

Okay, you got me.

I'll get down off of the high horse, or my soap box, and try and be nice.

Really, though, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't have a basic knowledge of snowboard history or ski history. It's not mandatory to know this stuff before you can get a lift pass. But, it's would seem that someone who rides a snowboard might take the time to learn some of the basics and gain an appreciation for the sport.

Though I may not care for Burton snowboards marketing prowess, I can surely appreciate that Jake Carpenter was one of the first people who had a vision of riding surf-style on snow. His success speaks to the numbers of people who want that thrill of sliding on snow. Tom Sims and Jake Carpenter were never business partners that I'm aware of. In fact, Sims brought suit against Burton and Craig Kelly for breach of contract when Kelly was lured away from Sims. It was Sims' approach to snowboarding that Burton later adapted to marketing snowboards. Prior to that, Burton was promoting racing and had a lesser influence on freestyle boarding in comparison to Sims. These are generalizations and are not meant to be historically accurate.

Personally, I think skiboarding is an accurate portrayal of what hardbooters do. We hardbooters have taken the nuances of snowboarding and fused it with the technical proficiency of skiing and have the best of both worlds. It's that blending of ski technique and snowboarding that makes carving in hardboots an absolute thrill that borders on elitism. I'm just glad that I experienced it before I would have given up snowboarding.

Mark

Historically speaking. "Ski Board" , as much as I didn't care for it, was a part of early snowboard pioneering. Pre-80ish it was common for "Snowboarding" to be called a number of different things, depending on where, what and with who you were riding. "Wintersticking", "Snow Surfing" "Sticking", and "Ski Boarding" were all common terms. Tom Sims first line of snowboards were in fact referred to as "Ski Boards", so in effect, we are the cause for the early confusion about what to be called?

Tom was referring to his boards as Ski Boards as late as the mid-80s.

Okay, you got me.

I'll get down off of the high horse, or my soap box, and try and be nice.

Really, though, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't have a basic knowledge of snowboard history or ski history. It's not mandatory to know this stuff before you can get a lift pass. But, it's would seem that someone who rides a snowboard might take the time to learn some of the basics and gain an appreciation for the sport.

Though I may not care for Burton snowboards marketing prowess, I can surely appreciate that Jake Carpenter was one of the first people who had a vision of riding surf-style on snow. His success speaks to the numbers of people who want that thrill of sliding on snow. Tom Sims and Jake Carpenter were never business partners that I'm aware of. In fact, Sims brought suit against Burton and Craig Kelly for breach of contract when Kelly was lured away from Sims. It was Sims' approach to snowboarding that Burton later adapted to marketing snowboards. Prior to that, Burton was promoting racing and had a lesser influence on freestyle boarding in comparison to Sims. These are generalizations and are not meant to be historically accurate.

Mark

Most people who bowl probably don't know much about bowling history either... Heck, most people who play baseball probably couldn't tell you why Cy Young was important. In fact, when MLB retired Jackie Robinson's number in 1998, a survey revealed that many pro players - including several minorities - had never heard of Robinson.

Following up on your other points:

1) Yes, Sims and Burton were never partners.

2) Yes, Sims did sue Burton over the Craig Kelly signing. Received a TRO, which was eventually overturned by an appellate court.

3) Yes, Burton was more into racing than freestyle until the late 80s. When Burton signed Craig Kelly, one reason was to give the company credibility in the freestyle movement. It worked.

Let's take it back to the roots. Ski = 2 planks. And really I haven't seen anybody ski a wave or do anything remotely as stylish and uninhibited on 2 planks. We surf the snow therefore I ride a "snowsurfer". Skaters ride snowboards, and gate-bashers ride skiboards. The turns I like are more like those made on a surfboard, the feeling is more like surfing, and when we fall we don't explode into multiple pieces scattered across the slope. And as far as "carving" being one dimensional, what was surfing for the first how many decades before the skateboarding enfluence? Every turn is different. Just my 2 cents.

Just had another nugget of joy. I play the violin, most of the time. Sometimes I play the fiddle, and other times I play the Irish fiddle. I use the same tool, just in differnt ways. Same thing here. You could even say that I don't play country fiddle, but rather bluegrass fiddle. The whole argument rests on how anal you are about catagorizing yourself within a particuar click.

"The whole argument rests on how anal you are about catagorizing yourself within a particular click."

well put Pdaddy!!:biggthump

I like to fiddle around in the snow on twintip boards, freecarve boots, race bindings, ski poles and the next run stepin to skiboards, next run step into a carving board, next run step into twintip skis (I ski switch too), next run step into a powder board, next run step into a mono ski, next run step into...

Do I detect a pattern here??

I guess I'm a Step-iner:lol::lol:

Troy,

hardbooter

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Orrechio, your sig had me laughing for a good 30 seconds. Well done. In the past I have referred to eurocarving as "controlled falling". Boris will probably not be happy when he reads this, but.......to each their own.

:D Who cares? According to Oreccio's signature, I'm probably bisexsual.

Controlled falling comes handy, though, in some situations.

I think this year I want to play a bit with the style of Pure Carve guys. Just love how it looks in the video.

However, what I said above still doesn't imply that I find SO's signature appropriate.

It's very sexist and ellitist.

Besides, it insinuates that carving as a sport somehow belongs in toilet. Strange, as we all consider "sitting on the toilet" as a technique no-no.

+1. Another word for what we do was "Burtonboarding". But I never called it that.

I think I'd rather have the association with snowboards than with fruit-boots. Err, skiboards. "Skiboard" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I've been asked "what is that, a skiboard?" too many times.

I say alpine snowboard. If the blank stare continues, I say it's for carving turns and racing.

To answer some questions about the early beginnings of Burton vs. Sims, I suggest watching the movie "Ride" , the Craig Kelly story. I think it was well done and talks a lot about the history of the two snowboard teams, their beginnings and the feud over Craig Kelly and who "owned him". Apparently Tom Sims was more worried about the surf than his business, and whenever the waves were big he would close shop. As he said, "Not a good way to run a business".

Back on topic, I am a snowboarder, not a skiboarder, I have been snowboarding on an alpine snowboard going on 18 years now, before many of the park boys and girls were born. I can ride better than them both on hard and soft gear so I am not about to give them the satisfaction of declaring myself a skiboarder or anything other than a snowboarder.

With that being said, if I am not watching riders carving up the snow, I much prefer to watch skiing as well. Anybody who is carving is alright with me. Even the few who know how to ride a soft setup correctly. Of course, I honestly think that it is about 3 percent of the snowboard population.

But that it was we are here for to teach the tail sliders there is more to life than kickers, tabletops, and fun boxes.

But that it was we are here for to teach the tail sliders there is more to life than kickers, tabletops, and fun boxes.

...and there is more to hardboots than groomed intermediate slopes.

As for the general subject of this thread, I don't get this whole "I'm so misunderstood" mentality. If someone doesn't know what I'm riding, and they ask me, I tell them about my equipment. I am aware that I participate in a niche segment of the snowboard market. I don't expect people to know anything about what I do.