Note to New Members ×

Rockin' the hard boots again

scrapster

The fun has returned to snowboarding! Took out a hard boot set-up at Okemo for the first time in some 16 years yesterday. Ever since I hit 30 years old, I've seen my enjoyment in snowboarding gradually diminish to the point where I was eyeing skis again. Mostly its because my feet hurt like hell after a few runs--especially my front foot, right behind the little toes. The foot pain even ruined my first real trip out west a few years back. This year, in my desperation, I threw caution to the wind and sold all my soft boot boards. I got a big freeride stick and freecarver, both with plates, and got a good deal on some nice Lowa AT boots.

Wow, I gained some insights. My foot still hurt at low angles on the freeride board (on hardpack), UNTIL I locked both boots into ride mode and started using my shins to take pressure off my feet. Big difference. I now realize that the best snowboarding days of my life were back in the 1990's when I owned a few pairs of Burton Torque 3-strap bindings--all of which I ultimately broke. It made a huge difference to be able to lock the high-back for ice, and unlock it for soft snow. Adjustability rules! Two strap bindings just never worked well for me and my messed up, no arched feet, especially on hard east coast conditions. I've been in denial for years.

The first day on the freecarve (163 Silberpfeil) was a hoot. After about three runs I started to understand it a bit--though I was tiring so I couldn't drive it like it wanted. Nor could I keep up with my skiing and (crazy) boarding friends as they bombed down some pretty icy runs without care. That being said, I absolutely loved the forward stance of high angles--so much more natural feeling. If I can set the angles down just a notch or two more, I think I'll have more power for the conditions I usually ride. (I was also surprised that I could carve lower, ec style turns much more easily on the freeride board--there's much to learn.) Still, the best surprise, my feet felt GREAT at the end of the day after riding the F2. No pain at all, except in my thighs :biggthump

Get some moldable liners for your hardboots, some custom footbeds, and you'll be stylin'.

Yes, run, don't walk, to Surefoot and get some custom footbeds and liners and your days of pain will be over. Their product works wonders in hard boots and even in soft boots!

Welcome home, friend!

I agree, whenever I use my softboots now, I'm reminded of why I hardboot.

Get some moldable liners for your hardboots, some custom footbeds, and you'll be stylin'.

+1 on this comment. Mine cost $200, but without them I'd be hatin' the boots.. Huge diff. with them.

This year, in my desperation, I threw caution to the wind and sold all my soft boot boards. I got a big freeride stick and freecarver, both with plates, and got a good deal on some nice Lowa AT boots.

There are many paths to the righteous carve. Sorry yours included the foot pain. But you are on the path now.

Well done grasshopper. Well done.

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by Jack Michaud viewpost.gif

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Yes, run, don't walk, to Surefoot and get some custom footbeds and liners and your days of pain will be over. Their product works wonders in hard boots and even in soft boots!

custom footbeds are an indispensable part of your equipment

after 3 years with comformable I now ride superfeet corks(starting second season, 120+days last season)

we should ALL get some version

if not for pain, then fatigue

imagine more runs with less energy used

seriously incredible

over priced but usually pretty good.

just about anywhere can do a decent footbed, not all are as fancy as surefoot but most will work.

liners, dalbello gold is probably the best for your money right now $215 and way better than the thermoflex. if you want the best get a foam injection liner, those will run you $350 up to about $550 but again are the absolute best.

if you want the best get a foam injection liner, ....... but again are the absolute best.

Love mine, won't ever ride stock liners again.

But make sure that you have the shells you want before dropping in. Once formed I think you are done ini terms of reshooting them with foam.

I wore my uninjected shells for about 10 hours in the house, maybe on the hill one easy day. Then foamed them.

Welcome back to the dark side luke. I left softies back in '91 when my sorrels and burton air killed my feet. You have to crank down so hard that it's not even worth it. Have ridden soft boots a few times since and always welcome the hb's and wonder why I ever deviate. I guess I think that the newer softies will get better (which they have) but they never give the control and confidence that I'm used to. Come out west and ride some pow on an all mtn board and you'll want to stay. Keep up the fight against the mainstreem. Hasn't been a time that I haven't been out on an alpine setup that some skier doesn't ask me what I'm riding. I've made more than a few converts from skiing to alpine snowboarding. Bwa haa haa....

Yes, I just injected my UPZs saturday and rode them today.

These are available with the injection foam liner, for just short of 700 USD I got a boots with that type of liner(great deal!)

Had to wait for Dan Yoja to get them from austria but so worth it. best fit I'VE EVER HAD!

super tight fit, responsive and so on.