Note to New Members ×

Do you de-tune?

Keenan

I usually detune my boards about 1.5 inches or so, for the reason that even when carving, I like to have the ability to do other stuff, feather the board at will, etc. The detuned nose and tail definitely help out with that, in addition to running flat much better.

I never, ever, detune my edges.

That's for Jibbers and park monkeys...

:D

It's also good for Terminal Intermediates, and "few days a season" poseurs.

My object, on any day of riding, is to be able to go out and have fun the next day!

A little tip/tail detuning can save my tush on packed, icy flats!

cheers

No I sharpen them all the way. If I'm going to have an edge, I want a sharp edge - it's supposed to grip things, so it's no good if it's blunt. All that talk about "detuning" is for beginners, and even then I'd argue it's a bad idea as you need to learn to deal with the edges of the board; putting it off isn't going to help you and may encourage bad habits...

Detuning a Virus? Crucify him.... :flamethro
1z2dam9.gif

:rolleyes:

Just kidding, you do whatever you want with your collection of Virus boards... but does Frank know about this? :cool:

Istvan, has nothing to do with a Virus. It’s me, the rider who prefers a certain set-up. I like to go out of the norm, with the boards I ride and how I ride... well, i try :o

Like Jim Callen said, especially riding flats. If you do high speeds, running full length flat you better pray that your board doesn’t catch an edge. Will only happen once to you!

Btw, do you know what angles you are riding? And yes, Frank knows I play with my edges, not a secret :)

Cheers!

It's also good for Terminal Intermediates, and "few days a season" poseurs.

My object, on any day of riding, is to be able to go out and have fun the next day!

A little tip/tail detuning can save my tush on packed, icy flats!

cheers

Interesting thread! I rode a Virus at the SES last year and HATED it. Running on the flat it felt like it was going to grab and throw me any minute, and I've just realised why - it was probably sharp end to end, the first time I've ridden a board that wasn't detuned.

I detune all my boards with a gummi stone about 6 inches on the tip and just on the end of the tail. I like the way they flatbase on cat tracks and they don't seem to have trouble holding an edge when I ask them to. It's also nice to be able to slip and slide a bit when you're in less than ideal stuff or coming through a crowd of beiginners on a cat track.

I think I'm going to detune the nose a little less this year, and see what happens...

I rode a Virus at the SES last year and HATED it. Running on the flat it felt like it was going to grab and throw me any minute, and I've just realised why - it was probably sharp end to end, the first time I've ridden a board that wasn't detuned.

I detune all my boards with a gummi stone about 6 inches on the tip and just on the end of the tail.

Allee, detuning 6 inches will sure change the characteristics of any board a lot. If all you ride are detuned boards like that, a Virus (which is one of the most extreme board brands out there anyway) will demand getting used to it at the beginning. That’s also reason why it is recommended to ride a Virus for a few days to really get used to it. They sure can be a bit demanding, especially if you are not used to them. Do you remember which board it was exactly?

Looking forward seeing you in Aspen again Allee!

Happy Turkey Day!

Yep, I do ... it was the Scalpel. It rode beautifully on piste, but the behaviour on the flat just scared the bejesus out of me. I couldn't wait to get off it.:)

I'll be sure to give it another shot at the next SES - now I know what's going on!

It's always interesting demoing boards - some (like the Coiler I rode) you fall in love with in one run, and others just really aren't your style. Methinks that maybe a Virus is still beyond the scope of my meagre riding skillz.:eplus2:

I'm in the C to C sharp side of edge beveling. I generally run .5* base and 3* side bevels. Back when I was racing I would sometimes change angles nearer to the nose and tails for different effects while staying with the .5/3* under the feet. This would keep the edge sharp C to C but would allow it to be feathered differently depending on conditions and what I wanted the board to do. My boards still track on flats just fine.

Ink

I detune about 1" at the tip with a diamond stone (about the width of the stone ifself) and leave the tail sharp to the very end. This does help when you're flat basing, but doesn't detract at all from edge grip. My edges are the same as crucibles', you can easily cut yourself on them if you handle the board in a cavalier manner. This detuning method doesn't have any drawbacks that I can think of. All plusses, no minuses.

One little thing to think about regarding tracking correctly on the flats. I ride with a flat front foot. If you say that your board is twitchy or catchy, are you riding with a front cant? When the very front of your effective edge comes in contact with a ridge in the snow, there are only two things that can happen. #1 - The ridge will push your board (and you) around, or...... #2 The ridge will be obliterated by your board (and you) as you steamroll over it. The more weight that take off your front foot the worse your board will track. Think about it.

later,

Dave R.

Ray,

Btw, do you know what angels you are riding?

ANGELS or ANGLES? If 'ANGELS' then frankly I've never thought of my boards like that, but actually not a bad idea... :biggthump

As for my binding angles, on the Gladis and Berserker its a F65 B60, cants and lifts to have a stable stance, on the ME109 and the X-treme F57 B52, totally flat, no cant, no lift.

Ray,

ANGELS or ANGLES? If 'ANGELS' then frankly I've never thought of my boards like that, but actually not a bad idea... :biggthump

Oh darn, you got me… should have checked my typing before I posted this.. but well, seems the good wine and all that Tryptophan from the turkey had his influence and all I was thinking were ANGELES :ices_ange

As for my binding angles, on the Gladis and Berserker its a F65 B60, cants and lifts to have a stable stance, on the ME109 and the X-treme F57 B52, totally flat, no cant, no lift.

What I meant, hopefully better to understand now, I meant to talk about "base" and "edges" and what kind of an “angle” you have them at.

;)

Actually, I would almost think of my boards as ANGELES, now thinking about it :rolleyes:

I remember a discussion like this last year, then on a day at Squaw V riding icy runouts to the lift at high speed (fast for me)... the tail was occasionally trying to catch edge like it had a mind of its own. Unnerving and was thinking I might want to feather that last couple of inches.

Ray, I'm trying to keep a flat base, but that might be actually 0,5 degrees due to the sharpening. I apply 2 degrees on the side. Sharp and polished from tip to tail. And I love the sound when it cuts the ice.... especially the X-treme sounds like thunder on ice... skiers many times turn around with a frightened face to see what's coming down the slope :AR15firin

I use Tooltonic (http://tooltonic.com/default.asp), very good stuff. One of their unique gadget is the roto finish: http://tooltonic.com/rotoFinish.asp.

Running full length flat high-speed with a sharp and agile and narrow Virus is indeed something that can end very painfully. You don't want to do that. On the other hand the X-treme is very relaxed even then.

Kindest