Note to New Members ×

OT: Music (Instruments)

Speed Demon

I was wondering does anyone in here play any instruments or sing...also what do they play and what they use....and what style of music you play if you play any...

Myself I play sax mainly Alto, but I can play Tenor Bari and Soprano. But I really like the Jazz style thats what Im into...

My Sax Quiver:

-Keilwerth SX90R Alto

-Meyer 7 (Medium Chamber)

-Rico Royal (2.5) [These cheap reeds actually work well, I used to use Vandorens and found that these work better and they are cheaper :p]

-Vito Student Model (First Sax) :rolleyes:

So if anyone in here plays any music Im interested in what you play and your style...

________

Zoloft attorneys

My bass collection rivals my snowboard quiver.....somewhere in the high teens.

Used to aspire to be a "rock star", but now content doing professional studio work and gigs. Working on another CD, but this one is slow miving due to IM training.

K

Guest thomas_m

I noodle around on guitar - classical and steelstring acoustic. Three years of classical lessons but still just a noodler. I've no innate musical talent at all but find playing a relaxing wind down at the end of the day.

Playing an instrument, even badly like I do, also has the benefit of making you a much more appreciative listener of really telented performers, especially live.

I own this very guitar made by Marc Beneteau, it's even prettier in person:

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/bubinga.htm

I also have a classical made by Woodley White in Portland that looks almost exactly like this one:

http://www.whiteguitars.com/gallery20.htm

T.

Hi Guys,

I play the Trombone (King 1400 Professional standard). Although I haven't played much these past years, I'm hoping to get back into it sometime soon.

I also used to play the drums in a Jazz band (Big Band music), but never had the cash to put together a set.

--Gord

Originally posted by Gtanner

Hi Guys,

I play the Trombone (King 1400 Professional standard). Although I haven't played much these past years, I'm hoping to get back into it sometime soon.

I also used to play the drums in a Jazz band (Big Band music), but never had the cash to put together a set.

--Gord

Yah im in a big band group in my high school and its the only reason im still playin the sax. To be honest I hate classical and concert band music as a sax player saxes were never meant to be a classical instrument:(. But Im really into the whole Jazz thing, specially funk and blues stuff...:D

________

California Dispensaries

Those Ricks 4000 series are so nice, I tried one (black with white trim, the Rush look) when I was in a bar where there was a Rush cover band, it was plugged in a David Eden amp, and man the sound and touch were amazing! Wish I had one, but it would be a waste, I'm not good enough.

Derf

Originally posted by Derf

Those Ricks 4000 series are so nice, I tried one (black with white trim, the Rush look) when I was in a bar where there was a Rush cover band, it was plugged in a David Eden amp, and man the sound and touch were amazing! Wish I had one, but it would be a waste, I'm not good enough.

Derf

I'm not good enough either. ;)

However someone had put down 50% on it and after 6 months the buyer hadn't shown up to pick it up. I just happened to be in the store when the six months expired and couldn't say no for 50% off! (I had been borrowing a friend's old one for a year... didn't want to give it back...)

I think I got all of the inate musical talent that Thomas missed out on... I play french horn in concert band/orchestra, drums for rock/jazz. But I know how to play the trumpet, Piano, all of the various percussion instruments (did that in concert band before picking up the horn), a little bit of sax/clarinet, Mellophone (I play it for marching- it's essentially a trumpet that's keyed in F), Tuba, and Trombone, and Im starting to pick up basoon a little bit. Wow...Im a band geek. Oh, and yes, I do know how to play the kazoo also. Of all of them, I like the F-Horn the best in concerts, but when I march I LOVE to play quads (the 4 tom-drums that the person wears), and I finally get to march them next season.

-Justin

________

Buy vapor genie

Originally posted by Justin A.

I think I got all of the inate musical talent that Thomas missed out on... I play french horn in concert band/orchestra, drums for rock/jazz. But I know how to play the trumpet, Piano, all of the various percussion instruments (did that in concert band before picking up the horn), a little bit of sax/clarinet, Mellophone (I play it for marching- it's essentially a trumpet that's keyed in F), Tuba, and Trombone, and Im starting to pick up basoon a little bit. Wow...Im a band geek. Oh, and yes, I do know how to play the kazoo also. Of all of them, I like the F-Horn the best in concerts, but when I march I LOVE to play quads (the 4 tom-drums that the person wears), and I finally get to march them next season.

-Justin

Yah Im going to learn how to play the basoon i tried a little last year but there were just too many keys with all the whisper keys and regular keys it got me all confused, but Im going to try and learn how to play the basoon for Wind Ensemble next year.:D

________

Class Action Lawfirm

Originally posted by Kent

Who's the BOLer that knows Sheldon Dingwall?

That'd be me, he's an old skating buddy from high school days. Last I saw him, he was talking about getting a long board. For those listening in, the connection to this thread is that Sheldon builds rather nice bass guitars for a living.

I play piano but regard myself more as a technician than a musician - I can sight read well and play what I see, but no music originates inside me.

Speed Demon - My sister plays trombone and sings for the Stone Frigate Big Band, a local 14 piece swing band. A really good friend of mine plays trumpet for them as well, and met his wife through the band (she's one of the tenor saxes). They wanted me to play piano for them but it was too much of a time commitment given all the other stuff I do. I really like the music though.

My bass/gear quiver dwarfs my carving quiver. Here's a link to some mp3s from one of my past original bands, The Bombastics . Couple of original projects in the works now. Play a Warwick Thumb 5 and a 4 fretless. various heads, Aguilar cabs.

Are there one or two New England guitarists/singers that might want to get an 'unplugged' band together for ski area lounge work this winter. 'C'mon.... the ultimate fantasy of every snow-sporting musician is to get paid for playing at night, stay on the mountain courtesy of the resort and ride for free all day!!! I'm serious about this. Anyone else?

I played semi seriously in high school (private instruction, marching snare, school jazz /concert band, and personal rock/party bands).

last year I bought a roland v-club set and it was great while no one was under me but I'm 2nd floor now and since the kick beater goes in a downward motion, my neighbors below hear a thump everytime i play the kick, so basically I can't play (they and cool and I dont' wanna be inconsiderate) been meaning to move it to my folks house, where my old Pearl 5 piece is.

also have various other percusive instruments from traveling: maracas, steel drum, woodblock, etc.

roland electronic sets can do some cool things

Cue the drummer jokes...

How can you tell when a drummer's at your door? The knocking keeps getting faster.

And just to be fair....

How do you get rid of the guitarist at your door? Pay for the pizza.

What do you call a bassist who's just broken up with his girlfriend? Homeless.

Thank you, I'm here all week.

Guest Ghostrider

I play the sax too. Alto mostly, but I can play them all. I've got a Selmer Super Action 80 w/ a Bay ligature and VANDOREN reeds...YOU USE RICO!?!? Shame on you..#1 sin for sax players...ricos are for first year and then are used for kindling!

I've also got a yamaha something that I started on...its quite a piece.

I Played a ton in high school with our wind ensemble which was top 10 in the country. We did a european tour and also played carnegie hall.

I also play guitar..I've got a Washburn Lion series electric, a Washburn Millenium Edition electric/acoustic, and a basic Fender acoustic for singin' around the campfire.

A fairly funny analysis of various symphony instruments.

What's the difference between an oboe and a bassoon? The bassoon burns longer!

So this explorer is out in the jungle with his guide, and they hear this drumming in the distance. The explorer asks his guide, and he replies, "we're fine unless the drums stop." As they continue onward, the drums keep getting louder, but the guide assures him that he has nothing to worry about as long as the drums are going. Suddenly, the drums abruptly stop, and the guide freezes with a horrible look on his face. "What happens now?" asks the explorer, trying desperately not to panic, but all is lost when the guide responds, with terror in his voice, "Bass solo!"

Originally posted by Ghostrider

I play the sax too. Alto mostly, but I can play them all. I've got a Selmer Super Action 80 w/ a Bay ligature and VANDOREN reeds...YOU USE RICO!?!? Shame on you..#1 sin for sax players...ricos are for first year and then are used for kindling!

I've also got a yamaha something that I started on...its quite a piece.

I Played a ton in high school with our wind ensemble which was top 10 in the country. We did a european tour and also played carnegie hall.

I also play guitar..I've got a Washburn Lion series electric, a Washburn Millenium Edition electric/acoustic, and a basic Fender acoustic for singin' around the campfire.

Actually my band teacher made me switch over from Vandorens to Ricos, I find that for the Jazz playing now the Ricos are good but Vandorens are really good for Concert Band/Wind Ensemble and that the Java and V16 dont always work for me, have you heard anything abut brancher reeds, someone on saxforte suggested to geth Brancher Jazz #3 and a Peter Ponzol M2 80 mouthpiece...and yah im usin a rovner ligature right now, I LIKE THE SUPER ACTION 80, but i think mine is nicer...i love the rolled tone holes, and the look, i have the black lacquered one, and man does it play nice with a dark sound...yay:D

________

WELLBUTRIN CLASSACTION

peart, cobham, weckl, rich, holmes, reyes, smith, chambers, gosh there are so many unbelievable drummers. 99% of general musicians will never come close to having the chops, coordination, or style they have. the motor skills they have is astounding, and probably much more developed than those of a bassist, no offense. derf, have you ever layed down a beat (not some simple 4/4 beat either) or belted out a snare rudiment at a very fast speed? not so easy, is it (unless you are a proficient drummer, of course)...i've seen most of these guys live. there are many incredibly talented drummers out there, just as there are guitarists, singers, keyboardists, etc. there are also a lot of very mediocre musicians.

go to the next local drum clinic or Percussive Arts Society day and you will see talent (although likely a broad range of skills). or listen to some of the drummers above. or better yet, start taking drum lessons yourself with a private instructor and let me know when you got the rudiments down.

Barry