Note to New Members ×

OT: Music (Instruments)

Speed Demon

Originally posted by Barry

peart, cobham, weckl, rich, holmes, reyes, smith, chambers, gosh there are so many unbelievable drummers. 99% of general musicians will never come close to having the chops, coordination, or style they have. the motor skills they have is astounding, and probably much more developed than those of a bassist, no offense. derf, have you ever layed down a beat (not some simple 4/4 beat either) or belted out a snare rudiment at a very fast speed? not so easy, is it (unless you are a proficient drummer, of course)...i've seen most of these guys live. there are many incredibly talented drummers out there, just as there are guitarists, singers, keyboardists, etc. there are also a lot of very mediocre musicians.

go to the next local drum clinic or Percussive Arts Society day and you will see talent (although likely a broad range of skills). or listen to some of the drummers above. or better yet, start taking drum lessons yourself with a private instructor and let me know when you got the rudiments down.

Barry

Slow down, a joke's a joke. I am the first to admire great drummers. I tried to drum a little, and I know it is REALLY hard to do something decent. I know a good drummer when I hear one, and I was lucky to play with some good ones, which almost made me feel ashamed of being such a bad bassist (I don't play much). There are many great drummers that I admire, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, the drummer from Dave Matthews (can't remeber his name, but his coordination is amazing without being flashy), Guy Nadon (local Jazz drummer, will play anything).

BTW, this joke is from my father, who was a professionnal musician from ~1960 to 1980, and he hated bad drummers, especially if they could not keep the beat.

Derf

• 5 years later...

I'm an upright bassist and music teacher. I play mainly jazz but I'm getting very excited about old-time and Appalachian music lately.

I also play guitar and square neck resonator guitar a bit.

Over the last couple of years I have spent a lot of time on the mandolin. I find that it is a very intuitive instrument to play and it is small enough that I bring it when I'm traveling and it keeps me busy.

Anyone else playing out there these days? We should start an instrument quiver thread! :p

Man, talk about reviving a dead thread.

You know what the difference is between a (insert woodwind instrument here) and a trampoline? You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.

I started out playing trumpet. Coronet actually, but to most people, same dif. Played that for a couple years, then they needed somebody to play lower. So I stared playing Baritone. I quit (highschool) band so I could take physics and chem2 and **** my senior year and actually have a chance in college. The superintendent pleaded for me to come back to the band. Sometime in highschool too I picked up a bass at a pawn shop for cheap. I learned how to fiddle around with it alright. Pretty fun. I also fiddled with guitars while learning bass, so I kind of know how to play that. I finally picked up an epiphone sg a year or so ago. Also over the years I've picked up a cheap (really really cheap, as in the case it came in is worth twice what the instrument is worth) violin and a cheap (from Musicians Friend) mandolin. I don't really play the mandolin or violin. I also play harmonica. I don't rail on it or anything, but I'd say I'm proficient.

Play: Guitar, Bass, Harmonica, I'll even say baritone horn

Quiver: Cheap Bass, Cheap Violin, Cheap Mandolin, Halfway Cheap Guitar, Couple cheap Harmonicas

Want: Whatever musical instruments I can get my hands on. Especially Upright Bass, Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty guitar (seriously, has anybody seen that thing? It's gorgeous!) Piano, etc.

heh, came across this thread at one point but did not dare revive it. thanks jonbass!

violin: took ~five years of lessons and played for about seven years. i had a remarkable talent for the violin, but at the same time came to despise it.

flute: started in 5th grade band, eventually started taking lessons for a few years. played ~four-ish years total; i was pretty good at the flute too. always found it a pain in the ass that you couldn't eat or drink before playing.

piano: my favorite. also the instrument at which i'm the least proficient. by far. honestly, i'm @#$*ing awful at the piano, it's pathetic. took lessons for three or four years and quit. some years later (couple years ago), i've started playing some videogame music adaptations on and off. honestly, i enjoy the piano very much; i enjoy listening to pieces that i personally like (which already filters out almost all piano music); i wish i was very good at it. i'm still awful at it today. i can't sight read for @#%^, and learning passages takes ridiculously long.

i've also messed around with the guitar. nothing really worth mentioning, but i'm mentioning it anyway.

I know what you mean about piano. i wish that I played it even a bit. It is a great instrument. I started down the music path late and I have never really taken the time to learn it. i had to do a piano proficiency exam in university but i really just faked my way through it. Some day maybe I will be motivated enough to get to it.

A fairly funny analysis of various symphony instruments.

What's the difference between an oboe and a bassoon? The bassoon burns longer!

So this explorer is out in the jungle with his guide, and they hear this drumming in the distance. The explorer asks his guide, and he replies, "we're fine unless the drums stop." As they continue onward, the drums keep getting louder, but the guide assures him that he has nothing to worry about as long as the drums are going. Suddenly, the drums abruptly stop, and the guide freezes with a horrible look on his face. "What happens now?" asks the explorer, trying desperately not to panic, but all is lost when the guide responds, with terror in his voice, "Bass solo!"

:lol:

peart, cobham, weckl, rich, holmes, reyes, smith, chambers, gosh there are so many unbelievable drummers. 99% of general musicians will never come close to having the chops, coordination, or style they have. the motor skills they have is astounding, and probably much more developed than those of a bassist, no offense. derf, have you ever layed down a beat (not some simple 4/4 beat either) or belted out a snare rudiment at a very fast speed? not so easy, is it (unless you are a proficient drummer, of course)...i've seen most of these guys live. there are many incredibly talented drummers out there, just as there are guitarists, singers, keyboardists, etc. there are also a lot of very mediocre musicians.

go to the next local drum clinic or Percussive Arts Society day and you will see talent (although likely a broad range of skills). or listen to some of the drummers above. or better yet, start taking drum lessons yourself with a private instructor and let me know when you got the rudiments down.

Barry

Jojo Mayer, just adding to the list.

Personally my favorite.

I go from general rock, to funk, drum and bass, jazz, and house.

Pearl Forum (poplar):

16x16 floor tom

14x14 floor tom

12x10 tom

13x11 tom

14x5.5 snare

22x18 bass drum

PS122 Double Pedal

Pacific:

13x3.5 steel snare

Sabian:

14" B8 Hi-Hats

10" B8 Splash

8" B8 Splash

14" B8 Crash

16" B8 Crash

18" B8 Crash

20" B8 Ride

16" AAX El Sabor Picante Hand Crash (played with sticks)

Agazarian:

(2) 12" China

Zildjian:

18" High China Boy

Remo:

Coated/Clear Ambassador - Snare/Toms

Aquarian:

Superkick II - Bass drum

piano: my favorite. also the instrument at which i'm the least proficient. by far. honestly, i'm @#$*ing awful at the piano, it's pathetic. took lessons for three or four years and quit. some years later (couple years ago), i've started playing some videogame music adaptations on and off. honestly, i enjoy the piano very much; i enjoy listening to pieces that i personally like (which already filters out almost all piano music); i wish i was very good at it. i'm still awful at it today. i can't sight read for @#%^, and learning passages takes ridiculously long..

This is exclusive to only one instrument? Got it made!

I played Bassoon in the San Diego Youth Symphony for a while, and like all early onset talent, it quickly left me hating the whole experience. Along the way I picked up flute, sax, and oboe. Hate all those too.

Now I play blues bass almost exclusively, it's my happy medium.

This is exclusive to only one instrument? Got it made!

violin, you can only play two notes simultaneously at most. and everything you need to see is within your field of vision.

flute, only one note at once, and on top of that, many of your fingers are fixed 100% of the time.

of course, you have to learn individual playing techniques with each of them, but they didn't compare to the 738292375892375932+ simultaneous notes at points on the piano, some offbeat of each other, some with twice or four times the frequency of other notes, not to mention that your field of vision is not infinite. i do kind of think that having been in the groove with the violin and flute first is partially responsible for the overwhelming feeling of the piano.

also, i don't feel like i have it made, 'cause piano is the only instrument that i feel sounds pleasant to listen to on its own. not to say there aren't ridiculous pieces made for violin that are freakin' insane and sound great solo, but pieces like that are pretty scarce to me.