Note to New Members ×

East Coast mountain recommendation?

mirror70

I'm looking for a place on the east coast (drivable from Boston) for a few days of carving. Last winter I went to Stowe the night before the dumping (Jan 4) and loved it (except for the first day, since I was totally ill-equipped for waist deep powder). It was double-extra-cool that Burton was having their annual company outing at the same time, since most of the people were great riders and friendly people. I even saw a few people carving **on snowdecks**!

Anyway, I'm looking for another place to go. I'd like to avoid southern VT (Okemo, Stratton, Mt Blow, etc) since I'm there almost every weekend of the season. I'd also like to avoid SugarLoaf since I'll be there for ECES, and possibly in Dec as well since I have a friend who lives there.

I was thinking of giving Mt Tremblant a go. This would probably be in early Jan, so I know it would be cold. How would the conditions be? How is the mountain? Good for carving? Is there a decent nightlife?

Any other recs for where to go?

Originally posted by mirror70

I was thinking of giving Mt Tremblant a go. This would probably be in early Jan, so I know it would be cold. How would the conditions be? How is the mountain? Good for carving? Is there a decent nightlife?

Any other recs for where to go?

Tremblant is very highly overrated in my opinion, it's overdevelopped, very artificial. Add to this lots of people and long lines. And mountainwise, I don't like the layout, lots of flats where you have to skate. For carving, I'd recommend Ste-Anne, a little further, but much nicer. And even better is Le Massif, but now where pretty far from where you are.

Derf

Guest jeremiah

I haven't been to Jay Peak since I really started carving, but it's a very nice mountain. They've really done a good job upgrading lifts and such the past few years, and they seem to do a decent job grooming. You'll want to bring a powder board just in case though, when they get dumped on, you'll forget you're on the east coast. Also, if you know the area, you can ride off the backside all the way to the access road and hitchhike back up, but I don't recommend doing that unless you're with someone who knows the way.

Jeremiah

I haven't been to Jay Peak in years, what I recall is that it wasn't really a great carving mountain but it is unbelievable when they get dumped on. I've bee in powder up there up to my waist. I'd give Sugarbush a try it's about the same distance as Stowe but not as crowded a has a good mix of terrain. I am planing on heading up there first week in Dec (if conditions are good) to use my Warren Miller voucher.

Geoff

Loon, Waterville, Sunapee and maybe even Bretton Woods are nice places to carve in NH. Last time I went to Bretton Woods, I though it was not steep enough. Loon is my favorite. There is a small group of carvers there on weekends, plus racers from the Holderness Team. WV also has a small race team that and a few carvers kicking around most weekend days.

If you want to drive extra far (7 hours), you could check out Mt. Ste. Anne, in Quebec. You could stay in Quebec City for a reasonable price (Manoir Des Remparts in Vieux Quebec is about the cheapest), ride all day and enjoy the bars and restauraunts at night.

-Ken

Mt. Ste. Anne is about 1/2 hour from Quebec City. I believe there are also a couple of shops in Beaupre that sell (and possibly rent or demo) carving equipment. I can't recall the names, but I am sure someone else here will know.

Mont Ste-Anne is more 45 minutes than 30 minutes from Québec city (depending on traffic and conditions). It's pretty much the mountain where you'll find the most carvers in the province. Québec is 2h30 minutes from Montréal. Tremblant is 2h to 2h30 from Montreal (I never remember). If you're going to Ste-Anne, a day at Le Massif is a must.

The place to go for carving equipment is

Ski Bazar André Bouchard

10950 Bd Ste Anne

Beaupré, Quebec

G0A 1E0

Tel: (418)827-2148

Email: ski.bazar.andrebouchard@qc.aira.com

They have ScottUSA boards, Raichle bindings and Deeluxe boots. They also have some used euipment. And from what I heard, are very good bootfitters. But I don't know about renting.

If your passing by Montreal, stop at Sharks in Laval, it's another shop that actively support carving. http://www.sharksco.com/

That's pretty much it.

Derf

Guest Andrew S

I'm makin a trip to Sugarbush sometime late in January. so you say the carvings pretty decent? what runs are the best? ill have to find the exact dates and maybe some of us can meet up.

andrew

Route comparison from rand mcnally tripmaker

Boston - Mt Ste-Anne 427mi

avoiding Montreal

via 93,91,55,20,40, 138

Boston - Tremblant 405mi

through Montreal

via 93,89,87, 15

I prefer MtSte-Anne over Tremblant and they are already open. Tremblant isn't. If you go to Ste-Anne you must go to le Massif. You gotta see it on a clear day and take your camera.