Note to New Members ×

Vinyl topsheet cover

xxguitarist

Well, Nobody here seemed quite convinced either way on this issue, so I decided to give it a shot.

I recently bought this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=13394&stc=1&d=1223518504

(taken from fastskiguy's listing)

donek axis 172.

Call me crazy, but I didn't feel like looking at that all the time.

I ordered two colors of "8 year" outdoor self-adhesive vinyl, one metallic dark grey and one dark blue. Two yards x 1 foot each.

It came today, I put on the grey and thought I'd share some attempts at a photo of it for anyone interested.

Without flash & with. Caught some color cast in the "without" shot and don't feel like fixing it.

1226707614.jpg1226707612.jpg

Pretty happy with how it came out, I'll let you know about durability in a couple months!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get it and how much? I have been looking for something like this.

My other question is whether or not you could get white and run it through a printer and then get clear and cover the printed portion for protection - kind of like making your own stickers for your board?

Actually, I was thinking about cutting it to a size that would fit in my printer and printing pics of my family on it, then applying it to the board and covering it with clear. I was wondering if a regular printer would be able to print on vinyl.

Cut around the board with a stanley #199210731.jpg razor blade, and did the same for the inserts.

Cutting the outline reminded me a lot of cutting a skateboard's griptape.

The inserts are visible through the vinyl as dimples/bubbles, so finding the edge and scoring the circle takes no more than 30 seconds apiece.

Wow, HH Supply sells stuff like that pretty cheap. 12" by 6' would cover most boards. It costs $7.50 for a sheet that size. Lots of color choices too.

Just actually followed your link.

That's the stuff I got. The shown is "charcoal metallic"

Hum, Wish I could get a donek sticker, but the site doesn't seem to have them for sale- anyone know if they exist?

Hey XX,

That looks pretty slick! You'll have to keep us updated on it's durability in the cold and/or liftline jockeying!

Oh, by the way, I have a Donek sticker that you can have if you want it! It's probably not the best application as the sticker is red and probably wouldn't show up very well! But it's yours if you want it!

Nicely done!

....and for the Price, even if it gets trashed, you can just peal / heat gun it off, and slap a new one on. You can even doodle on it with a sharpie marker and not care !

Its like having a custom graphic blank canvas anytime you want when lift lines are so long that you can just stand there and draw ~!:biggthump

Nope, but a lot of sign shops would have this capability.

If you don't know of any, let me know and I can give you a link to one that I use for stuff like this.

Thanks.

After looking at the HH site and thinking about it more, I would probably be just as well off to have pictures printed, use adhesive to stick them to the vinyl and then cover them with the clear vinyl....??

Hey XX,

That looks pretty slick! You'll have to keep us updated on it's durability in the cold and/or liftline jockeying!

Oh, by the way, I have a Donek sticker that you can have if you want it! It's probably not the best application as the sticker is red and probably wouldn't show up very well! But it's yours if you want it!

I'll definitely let everyone know how it holds up.

I'd love the sticker, if you don't mind. I have a collection of skate-brand type stickers, if you'd like a few of those in exchange or I could send a couple bucks your way.

Just saw your second post. I'll send an email off to sean before I ask for your sticker, maybe I could get something that would stand out more from him.

Phil, You could probably get away with printing the photos, sticking them to the under side of the vinyl, then sticking the vinyl & photos to the board. One issue would be that you'd have to keep the photo area relatively small, because it wouldn't be adhered to the board where there was a picture.

Dave, yep that's the idea. I'm hoping that it will stay on for at least a season's riding, even if it gets nicked up a little bit in the lift lines.

I need to figure out a cheap traction pad, or at least one that I can re-apply the adhesive on, so that when the vinyl comes off I'm not stuck buying a new one..

Maybe I'll find something to stick on there with some 3m outdoor foam tape.

Where did you get it and how much? I have been looking for something like this.

My other question is whether or not you could get white and run it through a printer and then get clear and cover the printed portion for protection - kind of like making your own stickers for your board?

Printing on vinyl requires solvent inks. There are a number of printers available for doing this, but they aren't cheap. Most sign shops have them and can offer such a service. The UV stability of typical ink jet inks is pretty bad as well. Years ago, we tried printing on fabric and laminating it in the board. In direct sunlight, the image lasted about a day. Things have improved since then, but your best bet will be a solvent ink.

Thanks.

After looking at the HH site and thinking about it more, I would probably be just as well off to have pictures printed, use adhesive to stick them to the vinyl and then cover them with the clear vinyl....??

Check out: www.dekal.com The business is right up the road from me near Waterville Valley, NH. The owner's name is Wendy. I have no affiliation with this place. She's printed stickers for me in the past and the quality is top notch. They are UV protected and extremely sticky.

They design stickers for the ski/snowboard industry and also offer custom adhesive topsheet stickers for snowboards and skis. You can upload your own images, text, and design. Might be worth checking out for your application.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll try some of your options and post back later. Of course, I'll try it on wifey's equipment first before I try it on my own. :eplus2: ;)

XXguitarist - the board looks great (sorry I did not mention that earlier - thinking only of myself! :rolleyes: ) I hope that it holds up.

These films you used, were they the creative films that H&H has? They have alot of fun stuff like diamond plate, etc. Just curious if there was a particular product you chose. Good for sprucing up the topsheet for sure.

Well, Nobody here seemed quite convinced either way on this issue, so I decided to give it a shot.

I recently bought this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=13394&stc=1&d=1223518504

(taken from fastskiguy's listing)

donek axis 172.

Call me crazy, but I didn't feel like looking at that all the time.

I ordered two colors of "8 year" outdoor self-adhesive vinyl, one metallic dark grey and one dark blue. Two yards x 1 foot each.

It came today, I put on the grey and thought I'd share some attempts at a photo of it for anyone interested.

Without flash & with. Caught some color cast in the "without" shot and don't feel like fixing it.

1226707614.jpg1226707612.jpg

Pretty happy with how it came out, I'll let you know about durability in a couple months!

These films you used, were they the creative films that H&H has? They have alot of fun stuff like diamond plate, etc. Just curious if there was a particular product you chose. Good for sprucing up the topsheet for sure.

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Sinecure viewpost.gif

Wow, HH Supply sells stuff like that pretty cheap. 12" by 6' would cover most boards. It costs $7.50 for a sheet that size. Lots of color choices too.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Just actually followed your link.

That's the stuff I got. The shown is "charcoal metallic"