Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary III

bobble

I am sooooooo sad about Buck closing. I am a week away from getting on a board again - the ankle is coming back to life quite nicely. I just pulled a 17 hour shift yesterday, and have put in roughly 80 hours so far this week and I NEED recreation soon. I want to board dammnnnit! I want to nap ON the snow! Serious withdrawl goning on here. But I still have to wait a week.

Looks like Spirit or Lutsen.

Rick

Spirit closes last day of March (even if they have TONS of snow). Turns into a city park if you want to hike.:D

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

take a right at Des Moines, drive a few hours thru secenic Nebraska, stay with my sister in Denver (heh heh) and . . .

Or, I was offered a free 3 day trip to Lutsen in April today out of the blue. Gotta work on my ankle.

What will Lutsen be like on April 1, 2, 3?

Rick

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/21/09 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>50's </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>not so much</td></tr></table>

Closing Day

i was way too optimistic about today. being it was the last day i was hoping that maybe there'd be a mercy groom so i headed out wearing my hardboots. when i got into the parking lot i realized i made a huge mistake. fortunately i brought my softies so i quickly changed.

the area around the lift office was ice. what was worse was getting down to the lift. all jagged ice. made me think of coral. i almost took my board off and walked.

the snow was brown. not as soft as i'd hoped. rode for about an hour. it got soft up on top of the hill but midway down it was hard and bumpy. i purposely aimed for brown thinking it would be softer but didn't make much difference. there were occasions when i thought i was going to fall on my back. i was riding defensively and slow. i reach the point where i really wasn't having much fun.

3372381951_6000877685.jpg?v=0

felt good to get outside. i was sweating.

3372382071_ca1e56277a.jpg?v=0

excellent season! good riding with everyone! now i can switch over to more important stuff.

3373199802_e7446802d0.jpg?v=0

take a right at Des Moines, drive a few hours thru secenic Nebraska, stay with my sister in Denver (heh heh) and . . .

Or, I was offered a free 3 day trip to Lutsen in April today out of the blue. Gotta work on my ankle.

What will Lutsen be like on April 1, 2, 3?

Rick

Chatted with someone last evening who had been at Lutsen on Thursday; tree runs are shot, but main runs still have good coverage, temp was in the high 20s - forecast for next week though is rain likely Tuesday and Wednesday....

Their web site says open daily until 4/12 but I'd sure keep on eye on the weather and condition reports.

Russ

here's what my last day was like:

3/16/09

afton

55+ degrees

crowded with spring break people

got our 2.5 year old out skiing for the first time! :biggthump

pict #1 - getting ready in the van. notice the base color of the skis

pict #2 - "i'm going skiing!"

pict #3 - the reward

post-495-141842279085_thumb.jpg

post-495-141842279088_thumb.jpg

post-495-14184227909_thumb.jpg

here's why we had to leave, despite the crying and begging to stay longer. our skis weren't sliding at all after an hour. i think the rubber from the magic carpet was so soft and warm, that it was rubbing off on our bases. this should be a fun project trying to clean them this spring....

at least she's excited for next winter! have a good summer y'all.

-trent

post-495-141842279092_thumb.jpg

My son Joseph explains you should do a "hot scrap". After scraping the easy stuff, iron in a penetrating base prep wax over the entire base. Starting from the tip in five inches increments, heat the base with hot iron and scrape immediatly.

After reading the last couple of pages, I think I may have thrown in the towel prematurely. I was ready to be done, or at least let all my aches and pains heal a bit.

I now turn my attention to putting a Musky, or two, in the boat. Mix in a bunch o walleye and some lunker bass and I'm a happy camper

When I get bored in the boat and my mind starts to wonder, I always end up dreaming about railin the carve board.

Make the most of the down time, and see ya next season.

Greg

I got out and took a dozen runs or so on Saturday late morning. It was a combo of super soft and super hard. Not horrible, but I did not feel bad for not staying long. The snow turned to mashed potatoes by mid afternoon (60+ degrees!).

I spent some time in the terrain park in the afternoon shooting photos. Some of those kids were going BIG. I don't know if it was because it was the last day, or just because the snow was soft and forgiving.

post-310-141842279138_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Minnesota riders represent at the USASA Nationals - Copper Mtn, CO April 6-10th.

The G-team riders did very well, landing 7 medals for the alpine disciplines, 2 for SBX, and a couple more for the freestyle disciplines.

Riders were pushing their limits all week, (Hopefully crash videos will be posted.) and in many instances finishing with very competitive times.

One MN rider landed in 5th place, with a two-run combined time of 48.37. The 4th place rider was 48.36, and 3rd place was 48.35.

Unfortunately one of our star riders, Patrick, fell and broke his collarbone training the week before nationals and was unable to race.

It was decided this year that each of the Men's and Women's Youth & Junior age groups for Giant Slalom would follow a "knock-out" format similar to the open class and other professional events - only in this case their finals brackets would only count for fun and prizes. Three of our riders, Mark, Hunter and Meghan qualified for finals by making it into the top eight riders. Meghan continued on to confirm her 1st place ranking.

I was very pleased with my race results.

An 8th place in GS placed me for the first time into open class finals! Didn't last long though, as I was paired up against the 1st place rider (and former G-Team member) Garrett. Placed 9th in SL.. missing 8th place by only .14

G-Team Results:

09NationalsResults.jpg

(Not too shabby for a 172 foot hill!)

The snow was quite excellent up until the last day (Friday). The warmer temps the previous day followed by snow overnight seemed to make conditions faster but more chunky/inconsistent - yielded some spectacular falls, crashes, recoveries, etc.

Photo Mashup:

Denver Dinner ,USASA Parade or national regions, The SKY chutes, Early morning sun,

radio check, GS course from lift, Lifts open early for competitors, SL and GS open for inspection,

Top of GS course, Jack in SL course, Meghan catches air in slopestyle,Coach Karl takes a warmup run with da boyz,

Celebrity Forerunners, Alexa, Mimi, Trappy, and Bordy, Riders Meeting 1, Riders Meeting 2,

Kids in SBX,Freeride Spendor 1, View of Backbowl,Fin reveals the secrets of project "Sidewinder",Getting ready for nightly awards ceremony,

Woodward's new indoor facility, and skate bowl,someone practicing a "feathered" turn.