Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary III

bobble

Cold tonight! Took my kids out tonight so I was on the softies again. My daughter (6) is finally starting to get the hang of toe - heel linked turns and we can get down the hill a heck of alot quicker. I've noticed the crappy grooming lately (speed bumps all the way across the hill) but tonight with the lights they lit up like Monica Lewinskys dress with a little luminol and a black light. Looked like waves all the way across the hill. Anyway, I will be back out tomorrow in hardboots trying to cut through the speed bumps.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cold tonight! Took my kids out tonight so I was on the softies again. My daughter (6) is finally starting to get the hang of toe - heel linked turns and we can get down the hill a heck of alot quicker. I've noticed the crappy grooming lately (speed bumps all the way across the hill) but tonight with the lights they lit up like Monica Lewinskys dress with a little luminol and a black light. Looked like waves all the way across the hill. Anyway, I will be back out tomorrow in hardboots trying to cut through the speed bumps.

I was out this morning (wind chill was not nice). I hurt my back last week and trying to slow down comming in to the lift on werners (right side) was painful (like gravel road corrugations). Otherwise the conditions are good for carving. Very hard snow, but still holding an edge.

I do know what you mean about reaching that stage when the kids can link turns. Makes life a lot easier.

BobD

that guy tele-carving backwards!

Hey Trent, it was good meeting you on Saturday at Afton. Thanks again for the props from all of you hard booters. I'm glad you guys can enjoy it almost as much as me. To fully enjoy it you need to start freein the heel. Just a warning, it is addictive. I do enjoy watchin you getting low to the snow on each turn. That's Awsome!

Pete

Free the heel, free the soul!

At least switchtele has shown it's possible to carve well on teles. Though I don't suppose you can load up the front of the skis with your heels free.
<O:p</O:p

I would debate that it is possible while riding backwards to load the ski, however, I don't know that I am doing it. I try to focus on using the same technique as when I go forwards. Keeping the weight evenly distributed on both the ball of the foot with the lifted heel and the arch of the foot with the dropped heel. <O:p</O:p

Depending on where the binding is mounted, it may have an effect on ones ability to do this. Currently my bindings are mounted 2-3cm forward of the "new school" method of mounting Telemark skis. This opens a whole new can of worms.:smashfrea

I still fall a lot and trying to find the best technique while doing it. If you can't tell I enjoy discussing this topic. Let me know if you want me to go back to the Telemarktips.com forum.<O:p</O:p

Pete<O:p</O:p

Free the heel, free the soul.

Depending on where the binding is mounted, it may have an effect on ones ability to do this. Currently my bindings are mounted 2-3cm forward of the "new school" method of mounting Telemark skis. This opens a whole new can of worms.:smashfrea

I don't know what's new school in teles, but that's how I have my ski bindings set up. I think this is the best position for carving, but I have to move them back to stand a chance in powder, Fortunately, the new rail mounted bindings make this easy.

BobD

hey switchtele, welcome to bomber!

let us know when you want to start carving on one edge. then we'll let all the local carvers know to start working on fakie carving, as i'm sure you'd want to do that too. ;) i've also heard there have been people that ride a carve board with tele bindings, but i've yet to see it.

hope to be able to watch you again this year.

-trent

hey switchtele, welcome to bomber!

let us know when you want to start carving on one edge. then we'll let all the local carvers know to start working on fakie carving, as i'm sure you'd want to do that too. ;) i've also heard there have been people that ride a carve board with tele bindings, but i've yet to see it.

hope to be able to watch you again this year.

-trent

I saw a guy in the lift line at Loveland that had a Teleboard. It looked like a Skwal with tele bindings on it. Super high angles (80 degrees). I didn't get a chance to see him on the runs.

anyone have a small snowboard, around 140-ish? and womens size 9 boots?

friend's daughter is looking to buy a snowboard.

just want to deal locally.

I have Zoe's gear. She is not into snowboarding at the moment, so I could let it go. I think it may be smaller than 140 though. Her boots are a boy's 5. I don't know how that converts to womens. Let me know if you're interested.

Does anybody in the area have a 6-degree TD2 disk I could buy/borrow? My WTB post has so far been unsuccessful, and Bomber is out of these until next year.

Would you be willing to buy a second board kit, with three and six degree cants and yellow elastimers for $50. I would prefer just to sell the whole kit.

Date: 2/4/09

Temp: Chilly, but tollerable

Visability: Exceptional

Conditions: Firm and Grippy

Hardbooter: Trent, Mud , Me, and I think Bruce

Great morning at Buck. The snow was firm and Grippy until about noon and then the lower ice started creeping through, but I'm not complaining.

I tooks some pics of Trent and Doug playing. There are some nice pics in the mix. Having my new lens and actually having light made all the difference in the world. The pics are much more sharp and clear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gpowell1.8/Buck2409?authkey=G9zzzIz7puc&feat=email

I tooks some pics of Trent and Doug playing. There are some nice pics in the mix. Having my new lens and actually having light made all the difference in the world. The pics are much more sharp and clear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gpowell1.8/Buck2409?authkey=G9zzzIz7puc&feat=email

very nice pictures. :biggthump

It's a sony sal-55200. It's nothing special, but it received really good reviews. It was designed for digital sensors, not 35mm film. It also has ED glass (Extra low Dispersion) which more or less allows the right color combo to pass through the lens, as I understand it anyway. I scored it on the cheap from ebay. I need to test it in low light conditions before I'm completely impressed, but so far so good. What a huge difference light makes, go figure.