Dear Buck Hill Diary III

bobble

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bruce... not sure if i met you (i wear an orange and brown jacket). i think it'd be tough to try an alpine board today with gray skies and snow.

do give joe a call. he helped me when i first started out by lending me boots. it made a HUGE difference having the right gear. originally i was using ski boots and it was brutal. it made me stand up like a telephone pole. i took some nasty slams riding tall. the raichles allowed me to get lower... it was a huge break-thru. i remember when i came home the first day from riding the raichles i was ecstatic. it wasn't me that was the problem, it was my equipment.

before you try the equipment, take some ibuprofen before you leave the house. ;) learning is tough at first but over time you improve. check out the tech articles on the bomber site. it will answer alot of questions.

what sucks for any beginner is buck has changed some of the runs over to terrain park runs. when i first started i was on the run where the terrain park is located. spent a long time there figuring out 'the norm' before heading to crossroads.

damn! mornings like this makes it hard for me to get motivated. i hate gray skies.

i've become spoiled after a couple sunny days.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>11/30/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>25-28F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>gray sky, some snow, just crap</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>decent for carving but it got chunked up</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>9 (me, mud, joe, scuff, jessie, kent, rhaskins, wild bill, bsax2006)</td></tr><tr><td>Cross Training</td><td>1 (bobd)</td></tr><tr><td>Alpine Curious</td><td>1 (brucelore)</td></tr></table>

Morning

the ticket office had some sort of snafu. the system was down and they couldn't issue tickets for season pass holders. took awhile but it got resolved.

anyway... last night it snowed about 0.5 - 1.0 inches. crossroads, milkrun, ballroom were groomed but there was the new snow on top. the visibility was poor but somehow it didn't seem so bad. saw the sun trying to burn thru the clouds.

crossroads got chunky about midway down. fell a couples times thru it... i think everyone else did too. ballroom was excellent. milkrun too.

good turn out!

Thanks for all of those I met yesterday on the hill, what a great group. Thanks Joe for the gear, I'll be out every day this week getting used to it. I'll send out a progress (or lack of progress) report daily. I should be out every morning when the ticket counter opens.

Be well.

Bruce

Date 12/1/08

Temp Cold enough

Visability Sunny/wintery mix

Conditions Very carvable

Hardbooters me and possibly one other(unconfirmed)

All snowguns were blowing full throttle. It was very loud.

Snow was very carvable, confidence inspiring, but kind of slow.

Darn I was thinking of sneaking down for the morning. I am heading out on the road for the rest of the week. I am going to try to get down there this weekend for the first turns of the season.

Tonight was my first time at Buck in several years and it was great. The ski team seemed to own most of the place, but otherwise conditions were great for practicing.

I look forward to seeing some of you in the future and learning from you - I'm pretty new to the hardboot world. I should be out there a few nights a week after 7 or so, and weekends (Gold Donek FCII 163).

~Ben

Tonight was my first time at Buck in several years and it was great. The ski team seemed to own most of the place, but otherwise conditions were great for practicing.

I look forward to seeing some of you in the future and learning from you - I'm pretty new to the hardboot world. I should be out there a few nights a week after 7 or so, and weekends (Gold Donek FCII 163).

~Ben

yeah, ski team always makes me nervous. uphill has right of way. :smashfrea

i might be out in the evening this week.

sunday mornings are the best. :biggthump

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/02/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>35F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>evening</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>too soft</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Evening

uhhh... i guess buck blew snow monday night and lots of it. who knew?

new rollers near the guns positioned near ballroom. people were jumping them. pits had formed where people were landing. i took one run and didn't like it. way too soft to hold an edge and lots of bumps. first turn and i booted out. under the lift it looked like ATV tracks up and down the hill so that portion sucked ass. i took the chair back up and headed out.

it did however looked like fun for carving on skis.

one year ago...

There will be several hundred 10 - 18 year old ski racers at Buck this weekend with training runs open from 7:00 AM both days. Any one know who I might speak with to encourage management to groom our carving trails after the skiers gouge the cord with their training courses?

There will be several hundred 10 - 18 year old ski racers at Buck this weekend with training runs open from 7:00 AM both days. Any one know who I might speak with to encourage management to groom our carving trails after the skiers gouge the cord with their training courses?

So does this mean we need to ride somewhere else on Sunday???????

Buck isn't very thrilled about grooming when people are on the hill.

i guess i should pick up my welch pass. :confused:

anyone riding saturday -- away from the masses?

~Ben

I was going to ask who I saw riding the Donek at BH last night, but I'm guessing I just found the answer!

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/05/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>15 ~ 19F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>initially it was sunny, at noon overcast</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>slow... new snow on top of cord</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>3 (me, bobd, greg)</td></tr><</table>

Morning

the snowguns were going. painful on the face to pass thru the spray. lot of snow. deep near the guns.

going down crossroads was slow expecially if you went skiers right. it was better to start crossroads then venture over the milkrun. ballroom was excellent. much better then the other runs. the skiers saw us having fun and decided to stake there claim to the ballroom by seting up poles. geez, jealous much?

around noon they turned on some guns near the chairs. the sky was already overcast and there was so much ice in the air that it was difficult to read the snow. thats about when we all left. overall it was decent. glad to have been out early when there was sun.

it looks like they have alot of snow to open all the runs. i'm guessing that the park equipment will be finally moved for the races?

remember when you fell down and went boom?