Note to New Members ×

Centered stance??

Bobby Buggs

I adjust my weight distribution (without moving bindings) to get good carves, then check if I'm leaning forward or backward to get it. Then I adjust my stance so I don't have to lean forward or backward... when I have equal leg fatigue after a run or three, I quit messing with my stance. This leaves me pretty much centered on all of my boards, and usually quite a ways forward on the inserts.

My powder board is the exception, I have my stance a couple inches aft of center on that one and will probably move it back further because my rear leg tends to burn out first on fresh-snow days.

I ride most of the boards I have with extra setback because I like the ability to drive harder into the nose without the worry of going over the 'bars' .I'm with Jim Callen on this one;there's nothing wrong with being in the back seat;for the right reason that is.In fact I generally have new hardbooters setup an extra couple of centimeters back to encourage them to drive the front half of the board into the new turn both toe and heelside and to help tighten up their turns if they are riding defensively(the wrong reason to be in the back seat)Sounds counter to conventional wisdom but I find this helps to prevent them from being taken for an uncontrollable ride when they inevitably lean back;it also makes the board easier to brake into a self preserving skid.

I used to ride forward of center on my Kildy, a long time ago. Now I ride center. I tried riding forward of center on my donek but I didn't like it - I'm not sure why I changed, but the donek is a longer board with no taper, wheras the kildy was a short, stiff little slalom board with significant taper. I like to push the board forward beneath me throughout the course of my turns, so I'm wondering if being forward of center helped this out on the shorter board?