Note to New Members ×

Hello

Tabmow

Hello all

I`m looking for recommendations for a new board, i have been out of the carving scene for few years now, my last carving board was a Rossi world cup,before that i rode a Shannon Melhuse rossi.

I started carving in 1989 and have quite a lot of experience,having been lucky enough to have been a beaver creek local for 15 years.

However when it comes to todays boards i am in the dark. i`m a big bloke,just over 6` and around 235lbs and will be staying to groomed runs,im looking for a good higher speed board that can take a meathead like me lol.

Thanks in advance and it feels good to be back :biggthump

Huh, you just opened Pandora's box.... once sun comes up in US you'll get so many responses and suggestions that you'll be more lost than you are now.... but before that you'll get even more questions regarding your riding style, budget, etc.

I would suggest to go through these first:

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boards.html

http://www.alpinecarving.com/board_models.html

Kinda good summary.

Cheers

I'm your size and have been riding about the same amount of time. You can still find Rossi WCs for good prices - I think there are a couple on ebay right now and here in the classifieds for about $225-$250

I currently ride a Madd 170 - f3 flex (the stiffest they make) and find it perfect for my size. I am also waiting for delivery of a Coiler from Bruce - custom made for my size. for bigger guys, the customs are probably the best option, if you can wait for them. custom boardmakers include Donek, Coiler, Prior (I think), and several european brands that I really don't know well enough to talk about.

good luck in your search.

Coiler, Donek, Prior, Madd. If you're serious about getting back into alpine, there would be no point in getting a used Rossi.

If you really want a high speed board like you say, the Madd 180 is one of the fastest stock boards out there. Their other boards (170, 158) aren't intended for super-g speeds, and they're narrower (18cm).

As for Coiler, Donek, and Prior, it's hard to go wrong there. No need to look any further than these four, IMO.

There are some tips on buying a new board in our Welcome Center.

I'm not sure how much money you want to invest, but the metal boards will blow your socks off. It's amazing how far the technology has come in these few years, and the boards are incredible to ride.

I personally prefer Prior, but Donek, Coiler and Kessler all make metal boards.

Welcome back!

I agree with you! And I think we should mention Sigi Grabner metal boards, too! they rock!

i also started in 1989. my second carving board was a rossi/shannon melhuse. i was riding this era of boards for years and then i discovered Bomber Online. my first modern board was last years Swoard then i got the Prior metal. the Prior metal is incredible and so easy, so forgiving to ride. shameless plug, check out my old school video carving on my Shannon Melhuse in "95"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFb1SI-Kg4

cheers.

i also started in 1989. my second carving board was a rossi/shannon melhuse. i was riding this era of boards for years and then i discovered Bomber Online. my first modern board was last years Swoard then i got the Prior metal. the Prior metal is incredible and so easy, so forgiving to ride. shameless plug, check out my old school video carving on my Shannon Melhuse in "95"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFb1SI-Kg4

cheers.

Sweet to see the old school board, ripping it up. Hope we get to ride together this winter, if I can afford to get out of the valley.

:biggthump

Casper, you almost look better in that old video then in your newer ones. The riding style is just like Pure Carve guys, which is addorable! Rip-on, man!

You didn't see the right vids then Boris. CC is ripping smooth on the new vids I saw, with none of the chatter particularly on the heel side( those old Rossis were hard to stay on the sweet spot from my recollection).

thanks for the good words. all those old school boards i had, rossi, f2 asyms , burtons, "I" couldn't hold an edge on the hard stuff to save my life. but holy cow the new Swoard and the metal Priors will hold an edge on anything. a totally new expierence for me. anyone headed towards Jackson, look me up. the new tram @ teton village is almost ready to go! Sweet!:)