Merino base layers: hot or not?

Dan

Merino wool: hot or not?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Merino wool: hot or not?

• Hot
    • Not
    • Not sure/neutral/couldn't care less

It seems like all the outdoor clothing companies are pushing merino base layers as the next great thing. Not so hot for me: I tried on some Icebreaker gear last season and found it a little bit itchy and twice as expensive as synthetics of comparable weight.

What have your experiences been with merino? Are there any differences between the fabrics used by different apparel makers?

I work in an oil field, and for awhile my company didn't require FRC's (fire resistant clothing) so I started wearing wool as it is the most fire resistant natural fiber. Totally fell in love with it! Even wore a Smartwool t-shirt in the summer. The Smartwool seemed comfortable no matter what the temperature. I also have a couple of heavier weight Icebreaker sweaters. If it is cold out, there is nothing I would rather wear. But if it warms up too much, I find them uncomfortable and slightly itchy. Big bonus is it takes a lot of days in them before they start to smell bad - whereas capilene only takes a few hours. That's great for me as I work many long days in a row, no time for laundry. Now I have to wear FRC's, but when it gets cool out I still wear wool underneath.

Anyway, I wear a mix of Smartwool and Icebreaker, top and bottom, work and play, for at least 3 seasons. :1luvu:

What have your experiences been with merino? Are there any differences between the fabrics used by different apparel makers?
Icebreaker? Did you buy it off of SteepandCheap/BackcountryOutlet? There is a fair amount of difference in the quality of merino wool made by different brands. Smartwool is my favorite. I too find wool very very itchy around my neck... but I found the skin on my legs/feet are not as sensitive so pants and socks are fine. I have virtually all of my socks are merino wool socks by Smartwool. I also have one pair of Smartwool long underwear pants which I like (wicking, warm, but breathable so not super warm)

That being said, I have recently fallen in LOVE with CW-X long underwear... particularly their pants. They have this "conditioning web" fabric which provides compression to help keep your muscles from fatiguing and some nifty support to your joints as well. It won't replace your custom hinged knee brace... but I think it is far better at keeping your knee/kneecap aligned and supported than those neoprene knee sleeve style braces. This is probably the only gear I've thought was so good that I bought extra pairs at full price!

The most supportive at the Stabilyx model (which also gives a little bit of lower back support), the Expert and Pro have less support for the joints (and are slightly less restrictive).

These are tights, so I warn they fit very snug (especially the tops). I'm 5'9 145 lbs, 29 inch waist (8% body fat) and wear size small for the pants which fit well. For the top I wear Mediums and they are still pretty tight (accidentally bought a Small at first and it was hard to breathe in). I would go up at least a size for those of you who aren't super slim... for you Joe Twelve-packs, I would recommend two sizes... or try before you buy.

Here is at photo of me wearing my stuff on Ninja Pride Day at work ( http://flickr.com/photos/sallypnut/2766826125/in/set-72157606750492962/ ).

I'm digging the lightweight wool shirts I've bought recently. Don't get stinky and look good too. I have a couple of t-shirts from backcountry.com. I also bought my daughter an icebreaker zip-neck t and she likes that.

I've been wanting to try those CWX baselayers, but waiting for boot-length bottoms on sale since they are so f'ing expensive.

I've got a couple of merinos - a lightweight base layer and a heavier 1/4 zip midlayer - but they're not my faves. I've worn them both as first layers, and I don't really find them that warm. My polyprops are a lot warmer and I like the slide against my skin that the poly has much more than the wool, which always feels kind of sticky to me.

If you're going for the anti-stink then merino is definitely the go, as it's naturally antimicrobial - making it a much better choice for multi day stuff. But just for day trips to the hill, I'm keeping my Polartec.

I just bought some silk layers to take to Nepal with me. I've been wearing them around the house because they're sooooooo nice. Hopefully it will get cold enough to justify wearing them soon!

I wear it all year around. Not itchy at all. I have them in different thicknesses.

I wear them in the spare time and with snowboarding. With other sports I wear fitdry from Nike because Icebreaker is too hot then (not recommended for normal sports activities). Advantage merino: it doesn't take up the human odors, those nylon sportsshirts does.

Advantage merino: keeps you warm for a very long time. I even wear those icebreaker thin skisocks: I never have cold feet again.

I've been wanting to try those CWX baselayers, but waiting for boot-length bottoms on sale since they are so f'ing expensive.

Just keep watching SteepAndCheap.com (I put their little browser plugin so whatever they are selling is always shown on the bottom of my browser window). They occasionally go on sale... that's how I picked up my first pair (for 70% off)... and my second pair (65% off)... and my third and fourth pair (61% off)... although I liked it so much, when one of them wore out... I paid FULL PRICE for it's replacement because I like them so much (I can't remember any other piece of equipment/clothing that I would do that for).

Icebreaker? Did you buy it off of SteepandCheap/BackcountryOutlet?

Hey Lonerider, Icebreaker actually has a retail store in Portland, so I was able to walk in and try stuff on before pulling the trigger on Steep and Cheap. Based on trying it on, I decided the tops were too itchy for me, so I saved some money.

I love Smartwool socks though - guess my feet aren't as sensitive as my back/arms.

Thanks for the recommendation on the CW-X gear - I've seen it but never really thought about it. If the muscle compression works that well, it's worth adding to the gearbag - I'll keep an eye out on SaC. :biggthump:biggthump