Note to New Members ×

Best way to enter?

geist

Hi, I'm new to the site and was referred here by a friend. I've been snowboarding for 5-6 years and want to get an alpine racing board for the upcoming season for racing on my high school team. I'm really trying to look for inexpensive options right now (I'll probably end up selling the equipment when I go to college). What I realized in the past was that trying to execute carves at high speeds was next to impossible on my "normal" board, a RIDE Agenda 161. It couldn't hold the edge when I needed it to (let alone even get into a nice edge after gaining some speed), and its lack of stability and "shakes" were very noticeable while racing at times. I feel like my equipment has been holding me back, because I actually managed to execute nice carves on this board throughout the season despite its "freestyle" designation, but only by fighting it VERY hard. Which leads me to wanting to upgrade.

I'm wondering if anyone would have any references to a good place to get used or cheap equipment, or any tips for a new alpine shopper. If anyone has any reviews of boards they've been using and enjoy, or opinions on various boards out there, that'd be very awesome as well.

On a side note, I've noticed that company Donek/G-Force make a board called the "Razor", built as an alpine racing board specifically made to be used with soft boots and bindings. This seemed like a great option for me as far as keeping costs down (I wouldn't necessarily have to buy all new stuff), but has anyone ridden this board or have anything to say on it?

Thanks in advance for your help :1luvu:

Hi Geist,

I too was looking into a carving setup. I was not sure if I wanted to get a whole hardboot setup , but opted to try out the Donek Razor. I got a 164 board, and went all out on the bindings( Catek FR2 Pro Limited and Burton Driver X). The Razor likes a stiff setup as you can transfer more power, and is more responsive.

I am 165cm, 165 lbs and setup the bindings at 45/42 with no overhang. The Razor is a great soft boot carver, much better any freeride board from the big names. It is a fast board, and great edge hold. If you decide to stick with soft boots this season, you will definitely see a major improvement for carving than you Ride board.

Cheers

Serge

Best way to get responses to your questions?

Turn "on" the email function.

Include your "Location" or home state in your personal info.

Post on the "Ride" board in your area, a great way to meet other riders.

There are many seasoned Alpine riders that will go out of their way to help.

Help them reach you. Then do your due diligence in return to show your respect.

Welcome to Bomber. You have found "The Place" for Alpine riders.

Bryan

Hi Geist,

I too was looking into a carving setup. I was not sure if I wanted to get a whole hardboot setup , but opted to try out the Donek Razor. I got a 164 board, and went all out on the bindings( Catek FR2 Pro Limited and Burton Driver X). The Razor likes a stiff setup as you can transfer more power, and is more responsive.

I am 165cm, 165 lbs and setup the bindings at 45/42 with no overhang. The Razor is a great soft boot carver, much better any freeride board from the big names. It is a fast board, and great edge hold. If you decide to stick with soft boots this season, you will definitely see a major improvement for carving than you Ride board.

Cheers

Serge

Cool, thanks for the advice, it's nice to know that there's a board out there for people who aren't sure if they want to make the huge $1000+ plunge by buying all-new boards, boots, and bindings. The only problem now would be getting over that $680 price, hopefully I can find one used somewhere. Anyone else have any opinions or reviews on boards they have used or good places to find less expensive equipment?

Post in the "Wanted" threads.

There are plenty of opportunities to gear up for around 500$ or so.

Expect. 200$ good used race board. Older , but in great shape.

125$ Burton Race plates , forgiving, ideal for lighter riders that don't mind bending over :(

Boots 125 to 200$ for excellent condition barely used boards.

Now go meet some new friends on the "For Sale" area.

"LOTS" of FREE advice. I promise you that :)

Welcome again to Bomber.

Bryan

Cool, thanks for the advice, it's nice to know that there's a board out there for people who aren't sure if they want to make the huge $1000+ plunge by buying all-new boards, boots, and bindings. The only problem now would be getting over that $680 price, hopefully I can find one used somewhere. Anyone else have any opinions or reviews on boards they have used or good places to find less expensive equipment?

Seriously, read the Welcome Center, and the FAQ. You're asking questions that are answered there.

Seriously, read the Welcome Center, and the FAQ. You're asking questions that are answered there.

This guy isn't kidding about telling you to read up. In your best interests, I'll answer some of the general things you might want to immediately know and help you get started in gear hunt and that no one else seems to feel like answering :ices_ange As for other things, you should read everything in the Welcome Center, Tech Articles, and the Carver's Almanac. It will take a while, especially if you have a busy life, but there is no substitute for it; you can ask just little things here and there that you think would be all you need to know, but half the time you will get dodgy answers anyway if the questions are redundant. Also, there is plenty of time before the season rolls in for you to get up-to-date.

-From your previous posts, it doesn't quite show that you already know, so if you don't... all-mountain alpine boards (and also boardercross boards) are known, to typically be able to use either a hardboot or softboot setup.

-Finding retailers for bindings and decks that you can visit in person is next to impossible in many areas. You will often need to rely on online retailers.

-For used gear, the only place I feel that I can rely on is the BOL classifieds; however, as long as you are patient and lurk the forums (and make a post in the Want to Buy section of what you've got your eyes out for), you will see PLENTY o' stuff that you can use. People will occasionally find stuff on ebay/craigslist/etc, but IMO you won't miss out on much if you ignore them.

-Boots MAY be easier to find in stores, partially because a ski-boot bootfitter can get the bootfitting job done for a hardboot snowboarder, but it's still pretty hard to find stores selling any alpine boarding loot at all. I do see that you are, however, looking to start out on a soft-setup anyway.

In the end, I would imagine that the absolutely cheapest way for you to get started is to find a used all-mountain alpine deck off of the Classifieds, and use your current strap bindings and softboots if they respond well enough. Generally speaking, this is just one road commonly taken off the top of my head. Anyway, from that point, there are several ways you can go to upgrade response and whatnot further down the road. One path, for example, could be to ditch the softboots and strap bindings and find some hardshell boots and alpine bindings from the Classifieds again to use on the very same deck.

Also, the upcoming season is my first season hardbooting, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt; anyone else feel free to correct/elaborate. I would like to add, though, that after reading all the referred links, I have never felt the need to create a thread to ask any real questions.

HEllo Geist,

Where in WI are you racing at? I ride and race at Tyrol, as does a good number of harbooters in all age ranges. We often have used gear for sale, and I keep a board or two around for people to try things out on. If you're in the Madison area drop a line and there's a bunch of people that can hook you up.

Hey Geist,

Welcome to Bomber! My girlfriend are in the Oconomowoc area and are season pass holders at Indianhead, in Wakefield, MI.. Indianhead is a carver friendly hill with the exception of one freeloader patroller named Rusty. Crusty as I call him, hates snowboarders, I think it's a case of board envy (mine's longer than his :D ) In anycase, you'll know we're there from the lines and ruts on F.I.S., catch up and hang out.

I know that there is a fine contigency of hardbooters over at Marquette Mountain as well.

I have found that advise on technique and skill development is readily available, given freely, but you'll find that not everything you hear is necessarily correct, or will work for you. Some skills need previous skills in place to come together. Equipment has a lot to do with your success, you will find that some decks just don't respond to your riding style, while others feel forgiving. Like anything it won't come overnight but with patience and determination you should be rippin in a couple of seasons. There is no replacement for hours on the hill. If you truely find this sport a passion, I suggest you get out to a session (WCES is awesome) and spend time in clinics and paying close attention to accomplished riders.

Think Snow!

Al

HEllo Geist,

Where in WI are you racing at? I ride and race at Tyrol, as does a good number of harbooters in all age ranges. We often have used gear for sale, and I keep a board or two around for people to try things out on. If you're in the Madison area drop a line and there's a bunch of people that can hook you up.

Hi $trider, sorry, but I'm way up north WI (Brule and Granite Peak are frequently visited hills for me).

Algunderfoot: "My girlfriend are in the Oconomowoc area and are season pass holders at Indianhead, in Wakefield, MI.. Indianhead is a carver friendly hill with the exception of one freeloader patroller named Rusty. Crusty as I call him, hates snowboarders, I think it's a case of board envy (mine's longer than his :D ) In anycase, you'll know we're there from the lines and ruts on F.I.S., catch up and hang out."

very cool, one of our first meets of the year took place at Indianhead last year, but it was one of the worst snow condition days of the year :1luvu:. The meet was delayed once due to rain/sleet, and in order to get things set for us to come they pretty much just ground up all the ice and called it good. I did like the hill tho, I'll try and let you know if we'll be going there this year or not.

Hi Geist, Welcome to the carving world.

There is lots of info on the replies that have been posted.

Regarding used gear take a look at www.boardsbootsandbindings.com

Its a new site and it specializes in listing used gear that people are selling.

Hopefully you have been sized for both Slalom and GS boards - it depends what the school races will be - most are GS races so that may be the length to look for. There are several knowledgable carvers and racers here that can help you with sizing. If you get a board that is too long it will really slap you around. My opinion is to get a first board that is on the shorter end of the GS spectrum.

In this forum and elsewhere there is lots of good info.

If you have been sized what is the length that was recommended and what is your boot size in US and Mondo.

Good Luck

Will

Hi $trider, sorry, but I'm way up north WI (Brule and Granite Peak are frequently visited hills for me).

Thats cool. My extended family is all in Wausau so I ride granite now and then too. Not sure who has any used gear in that area, but be sure to drop a line or post to the ride board and other carvers will probably hook up for some turns. Seeing other people ride and getting feedback is a great way to improve.

I found some barely used Blax (Head) boots voor 50 dollar on ebay.de. There are defenitely some bargains to be found if you want to start to carve. I paid like 250 dollar for a Hot Blast, Fin's race carbon and Blax boots in total. I got lucky on the bootsize though, but I could always resell them for about the same if they wouldn't have fit me.

It just takes some patience and checking out ebay and other sites (like this one) more specialized in carving gear.

And speaking of Ebay - how could we forget to point you in the direction of our favourite Ebay search? Go to www.raceboarders.com, and click on the Ebay link at the top. Keep an eye on this over the winter, you'll be surprised what comes up. A good sniper program is handy.

As far as the sort of board you'll be looking at, here's a primer on the types of boards, and their pros and cons, plus the names of some of the models :

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boards.html.

Try as hard as you can to meet up with other carvers. I've found that what you learn in a long weekend even just watching good carvers, can save you floundering for a whole season. It's absolutely worth the drive.