Note to New Members ×

Rad Air Tankers

rocketman

Can some one give some advice on Rad Air Tankers. I board a lot at night on 8hr old destroyed corduroy. (Blue Mountain Ontario). I am usually on an older 182 Colier pure race (free ride now!) and find it difficult in the ruts sometimes. I want something bigger, 190-200 to just run over everything. I'm 230lbs and want an aggressive board with edge hold like my Coiler.

Should I look to another board?

I thank you in advance for your replies.

coiler AM is what I'd suggest. Second reccomendation is a coiler stubby a little less forgiving but still unreal for pounding on 3:30pm chop like it's virgin cord

the tankers are great in pow and chopped to hell pow but for choppy cord when I still want to carve the AM wins every time hands down.

I'f you're not going to carve, tankers are gonna ride over everything real well though.

the bottom line here is tankers are great but they don't replace alpine boards by any means and they don't hold a edge well on ice. The ice part is my only big complaint on tankers actually. Otherwise they're one of the best softboot freeride stick available.

I board a lot at night on 8hr old destroyed corduroy.

A board that will eat up 8hr old destroyed cord = a board with metal in it.

A board like Bob suggested, with metal... That's the ticket.

And +1 on what Bob said about tankers replacing alpine boards. Tankers are a fun ride, but not a replacement for an alpine stick. A 200 cm Tanker rides nothing like a 200 cm alpine board, due to it's smaller sidecut.

I am totally in love with my 192 Tanker, but if I were riding what you are describing, I'd want a Coiler AM-T or a new Prior Fatjack. Bob's description is spot on. I was going to have a custom built this year, but finances dictate otherwise. A metal twin tip freeride board, shorter length and big sidecut (164/24.1/11 sidecut). Think race board disguised as a freeride board. Over a grand with metal....possibly next season....I hope.

I am totally in love with my 192 Tanker, but if I were riding what you are describing, I'd want a Coiler AM-T or a new Prior Fatjack. Bob's description is spot on. I was going to have a custom built this year, but finances dictate otherwise. A metal twin tip freeride board, shorter length and big sidecut (164/24.1/11 sidecut). Think race board disguised as a freeride board. Over a grand with metal....possibly next season....I hope.

yup, same here! I was going to have a kessler BX built to about 27 CM wide but then I got a dirtbike and so no kessler until that's payed off.

All the above posts ring true to me too. I ride a Coiler Am-T, 192 Tanker aaand a 182 Coiler Mini Monster prototype. Only one session on the Mini but it did rail on ice and slush. Looks like a Schtubby but with a 15/16m SC. Cranked it tight enough to feel like 13m SC. No nose folding or blowouts in the slush. Cannot wait to take er out again. Unless Bruce changes his mind, Coiler will offer a 188 Monster with a 23cm waist and same sidecut radius.

Biiiig turns for the first six runs then everything tightened. Also handles speed + chop real well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for saving me the pain of getting the wrong board.

Bruce V lives up the road from me - so I think I need to see him about a custom board. The AM is too small.

I did meet a guy at Blue Mtn one night on a custom Coiler 200 "something" with a 12m side cut - He rode down the crud like it wasn't there.

I ordered a 172 Coiler AM-T and loved it....until I rode the 177 version with a 13+ meter SCR. Sold the 172 and bought a 177 AM-T from Bruce. Metal boards turn tighter for me than glass ones. I would add almost 2 meters SCR to a metal board.