Note to New Members ×

alpine snowboarding game

ptran11

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here or in the "off-topic" forum. Please move the thread and forgive me if its in the wrong place.

I just saw some pics on the upcoming game, Wii Fit, that there is an alpine snowboarding game where you do some slalom. You use the Wii fit board to make the carves and turns. I don't know much about it but its probably something I'd do in the summer when theres no snow.

CoolBoarders 2...

You can use a 98 Burton Alp, and run some gates.

The game's for PS1 and from 1997, but I still play it.

I remember this game - pretty cool for its time. From what I remember there were options to use a Burton FP or UP to race with in that game, but don't remember Alps as one of the options. It's been a while though.

The first SSX (PS2 launch title) had alpine boards. It wasn't really "carving" as much as gigantic jumps, but the alpine boards were really, really fast ;) The even had special tricks that you could only do with alpine boards because of the different stance angles.

Looks like it's included with Wii Fit. Glad I have it on pre-order. For those interested in picking this up, I'd recommend doing the same. It's sold like gangbusters in Japan and Europe.

Here's are a couple more videos. Check out the angulation :D

I loved the old SSX tricky with the alpine boards! Snowboard kids had alpine boards too, they were all asyms. The new SSX games actually have you carving turns, so im really bummed there arent any alpine boards to really carve on

I loved the old SSX tricky with the alpine boards! Snowboard kids had alpine boards too, they were all asyms. The new SSX games actually have you carving turns, so im really bummed there arent any alpine boards to really carve on

Snowboard Kids 2 you can lay down some low ec turns. Unfortunately the designers of the game gave the Alpine board the worst turning performance.

They do place the alpine board as the fastest, true, and lowest for tricks, also true. I think they make the assumption with the sidecut radius though when it comes to the turnability. I do like the fact that they give Tommy the highest level for speed, us big guys have to stick together!!!:lol:

I'd think that as long as the snow isn't super easy to displace, i.e. Pow or super slush, the surface area in contact with the snow dictates the speed.

A Renn Tiger goes 125, but so does a pair of DH racing skis. Obviously, a snowboard is wider and most aren't over 200, let alone 230. I think in some discipline where speed REALLY matters, it comes down to snow, slope, and aerodynamics. For normal use, you can gather that if you point it down the hill, it will go fast enough to cause some sweat.

There's also the rider factor. Snow condition would make it more noticable, but I can't think of a snow condition that would make the shorter, wider board faster. I'd say in the right condition the difference would be too slight to be noticed. Kinda like in swimming, what's faster, just shaving down or these new body suits they've developed. It's an arguement over a fraction of a second.:lol: