Note to New Members ×

Compare Burner to Alpinepunk's burners

groovastic

So, yesterday I rode the 197 Burner that I bought from Big Canuk for the first time. Sick, burley ride. Grab this one from Frank before it is too late.

Could you anyhow compare your Burner to Alpinepunk's burners if you tried them?

And I see you have a Berserker Titanium... could you say something on how it rides..? :confused:

Thanks!

sorry for the O.T.

I cannot speak to how the Alpinepunk Burner rides. I defer to TVR and others for that.

As for my Sims Burner, it rides like a 197. That is, it rails once you get it going; it does not really turn unless you (or at least, I) get it going - to think of it another way, I found that it does not soften up until you are going quite fast. That, however, makes sense I guess; the 197 is not designed for slalom turns... It's a great board for those special occasions where you want ride super, super fast.

As for my Berserker, it's probably my favorite free carving board in my quiver. It is hugely damp but also (and somewhat paradoxically) hugely springy. (See my below picture of the board's camber. So much for TD2s being heavy and decambering boards...) It has impecable edge hold; it will CRANK short and long radius turns.

The Berserker is also a fun story, for which Frank deserves props. Those at SES might recall that I blew up the Virus Cyborg I bought from Ray the first day I was on it. So, at SES Frank cut me an unreal deal on the Berserker - it was a board Frank designed and made for himself - it's titinal and a whole lot more. Anyways, Frank stood behind his boards and helped me out in light of the Cyborg exploding on me. Again, props to Frank.

Colin

PS - rode the Kessler and the Volant yesterday for my last day of the season at Squaw Valley. Kessler might have just redefined "dambness" for me. I confess that I am not used to a 20.4 cm waist yet, but once I got the Kessler "up" on the edge, the thing was a hot knife in butter. The Hangl system is different too; I had a hard time getting the board to respond at slow speeds.

post-5439-141842257301_thumb.jpg

Sims Burner: A search will turn up a lot of info on these. They are damp and stable with amazing edge hold. They are built to make GS turns but if you have the skills you can make them do more. I've ridden the 188 and 197 and both for me were like cruising in a big ol' Caddy. I've been watching Snowman ride a 197 lately and he turns it like I turn a 175... but that boy has mad skillz.

Berserker Metal: It's a freecarve board that loves to turn hard. 17.5 waist but somehow rides narrower (if that make any sense at all). It's a unique blend of damp and snappy at the same time and it loves to turn... and turn and turn. "Hooky" might be the word for it but the 185 length give lots of stability and control. Fun ride but not an all day board for me.

Alpine Punk MetalBurner : Super damp freecarve shape with fantastic edge hold. It's the most versatile board I've been on. In fact, if I was reduced to one board... this would be it. I sold three boards out of my quiver after I picked this up. It can change personalities with every different snow condition. I've ridden mine in everything from knee deep pow to morning spring ice and it really has no weaknesses (besides the operator). It will turn very tight but my favorite thing to do is make big surfy GS turns on it. One interesting surprise was on firm snow... if you get in the back seat it will absolutely eject you like a rocket out of a turn. I wasn't expecting the tail to be that lively. I ride at about 200lbs right now but anyone could hop on this thing and have a blast. It's a curious combination of versatility, high performance, and forgiveness.

Way to go Frank and Mats... this board is amazing! :biggthump

Could you anyhow compare your Burner to Alpinepunk's burners if you tried them?

And I see you have a Berserker Titanium... could you say something on how it rides..? :confused:

Thanks!

sorry for the O.T.

Sounds like "THE" board to have your ripping like Abel?

That was you that asked for the return of the video?

Good thread.

As we all know Bryan, personal preference is king in the world of alpine riding. This one just does it for me... since I'm a "leaner" you know. ;)

Yes indeed, the best way to do that is to try anything and everything that is within reach until you find that "Magic Board".

Congrats on finding your's!! You have certainly earned it. Enjoy!!

Big PLUS: Your MAGIC BOARD is really bitchin looking too!!

Of course you STILL have not had a custom Tinkler built for you :)

Ok guys here is the pricing for the US. (get your $ up!:rolleyes:)

Afterburner 950$

Metalburner 1290$

There is also a new model "The SuperSwede" a 192 twintip. I had first feedback from riders in Sölden this weekend which was very positive. One guy has been riding an extremecarvingboard for quite some time so I was very curios about the comparision in a really steep slope. He said he couldn´t feel any big diff between boards when it came to edgehold. So if you´re looking for a "go all over the mountain-board" this could be something. Big scope in the nose for powderlift, 24cm waist. Price 850$

PS. What´s "Vestal"? HAve I done anything wrong... ;-)

Mats those prices are pretty reasonable for what you are getting. From what I see and hear this has got to be one of the top choices for freecarving. Us weekend warrior freecarving types sure appreciate you getting these boards to us at a better price point. I think Swoard did themselves some favors in working things out with Bomber but I also think they waited way too long. Nils and the EC boys have to be loosing some of it's sales to the titanal craze.

Speaking of metal how should we expect this topsheet to hold up on the Metalburner? That would be my biggest concern with my $1300 investment. It seems Prior has now learned it's just better to protect the metal and I'm wondering if Frank is going to follow suit. It seems only logical to protect your investment as best as possible, but it is at the expense of some major eye candy. I don't think my metal Coiler is missing much by having that extra layer and I'm sure Frank will find ways to make his boards look amazing. Speaking of which is there any Virus that just doesn't scream cream of the crop snowboard? I think not....Kudos to Frank! :biggthump

Big Kudos to Mats for these boards!

Now where is my metal Donek!!! Or even better my metal Donek Razor!! :1luvu:

I had no probs with topsheet. Thing is the Metalburner got a different alu-topsheet than most other boards. With Bomber bindings there is no issue as far as I can see. But a plexisheet never hurt any one;-)

/M

thanks guys for all the answers :biggthump

Sounds like "THE" board to have your ripping like Abel?

That was you that asked for the return of the video?

Good thread.

I did ask for the return of the video, and I would like to be ripping like Abel, but I know there's no board that would make me be so good and crazy! :(

I'm just looking for a rather big board for wide, well groomed slopes, and I can't decide between SG RaceT (wich I love) and boards like Berserker or Metalburner (wich I haven't even tried, and don't know when I'll have a chance to). That's why I'd like to hear your opinions.

Cheers!

Ok guys here is the pricing for the US. (get your $ up!:rolleyes:)

Afterburner 950$

Metalburner 1290$

Hey Mats!

And what about us from non EU countries with even much lower standards than USA or EU? :o

Do we have to pay the regular EU prices for your boards? :mad:

Just checking how flexibile you are ;)

Cheers :biggthump

Hope to try your burners ASAP!

Do we have to pay the regular EU prices for your boards? :mad:

I was thinking the same as well.

Pricing in US is nearly 400 euros cheaper than EU countries according the currency balance and little bit less in none EU ones because of excluding the Taxes but you have to add the custom fees.

If this is the case is more suitable to order through US even adding the shipping cost will cost me way cheaper.

Mats are you sure you calculated right?

I've sent you a PM about this.

Sorry guys but you´re both wrong and right. If you are inside EU you pay Swedish sales tax. Export price is 1000€ for Metalburner add 25% VAT inside EU. The US-market get a 10% discount. 900€. The US prices I posted is from some time back SORRY! If you check other sportproducts you will se the same price diff or more.

Carve low!

Mats

Sorry guys but you´re both wrong and right. If you are inside EU you pay Swedish sales tax. Export price is 1000€ for Metalburner add 25% VAT inside EU. The US-market get a 10% discount. 900€. The US prices I posted is from some time back SORRY! If you check other sportproducts you will se the same price diff or more.

Carve low!

Mats

I had to give it a shot ;)

Are you gonna make it possible to test ride your Punks at some resort in Europe next season? I mean on a regular basis... like, so many companys have their test boards in Soelden, so why wouldn't you too...?