Note to New Members ×

Which is better? Broken Coiler or Sprained Ankle?

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

While watching the Mt. Bachelor World Cup races back in early March, Mike T and I decided to swap large boards for the morning. He rode my Donek SG 210 and I rode his Coiler RaceCarve 184. It was puking snow and you could only see about as far ahead as the tip of your board. We were both traversing the hill just below a cat-track when we nosed over a 10-15 foot cornice into a hole. Luckily there was lots of snow to land in. Unfortunately we both landed with our boards pointing straight down. I came away unscathed but Mike wasn't so lucky. He had a bloody nose (from his knee hitting him there) and a sprained ankle.

Then there were the boards. The Donek sustained no damage whatsoever. At first it appeared the Coiler was fine also. In fact I didn't even think to check it out because I've never broken a carving board before (I have broken 3-4 pair of skis and one powder board on a cliff). Well when Mike got home and hung his board back on the wall, he realized the camber looked a little off (Mike hangs all his boards on a beautiful rack in the living room - its nice to have a wife who carves and understands that these things are art). He's been on the DL for about a month now but got out riding recently. It turns out the board is broken just in front of the front binding.

Bruce is going to make him a replacement for the cost of materials, which is pretty nice considering that a full frontal impact after a 12 foot drop probably isn't covered by warranty. I'm sending Mike the $ to cover the replacement since I did the damage. That's the easy part.

The real question posed by this misadventure is which is worse? Damaging a $500 almost-new snowboard or your body? Let's hear your board-damage stories. You east-coasters have no snow left so you've got nothing better to do than sit here and write stories anyway. Those of us out on the west coast still have plenty of snow. Alpine Meadows was pretty good this weekend (2" of dust on crust Saturday). I still haven't taken out the rock board. Pond skimming contest this coming weekend.

It's easier to replace a broken board than an injured body part!

I actually consider myself lucky that I didn't hurt myself worse. I partially tore the 3 major ankle ligaments, but didn't completely tear any of them. I made the 3 hour drive home, and couldn't walk when I got there - a week on crutches, two more weeks of limping, and three more weeks of not being able to do anything athletic with the lower body :(

I'm back on my board, but balance is still lacking and I only did beginner slopes the first day out - and the ankle got really tired after two hours so I made it a short morning.

In any case, I'd rather break equipment than myself. Although I suspect all too often both rider and equipment get banged up!

I have to admit though, I'll think twice before I buy a board that's so big and so stiff that I can't break it on a fall like that :eek:

Guest AlpentalRider

If I had to choose, I would choose equipment over body for several reasons:

Hurting your body is still gonna cost you and could approach $500 in emergency room and hospital fees after your insurance pays it's percentage.

Your body will keep you out of commission for a while which will make you miss vital slope time.

Your recovery will take away from your ability so when you get back to the slopes, your wasting time trying to get back up to speed.

No question. I'm getting up there in age (LOL) but even I would rather shell out a few hundred bucks for a new board (even if it meant waiting for 6 months) than spent two months in rehab like I did when I sprained my knee in ice hockey. Not ONLY can you not snowboard (back to the original situation) but you can't do much else either... with the broken snowboard, I feel like there isn't anything a few drinks and a few extra hours at work can't mend... of course, I've never owned a personal, one of a kind board yet...

My vote also goes to broken equipment. Too long to mend the bones; ligaments and tendons take even longer. Not to mention the "flinch factor" when you start riding again, trying to protect the injured limb, and screw your technique all up.

Have to say Bruce is a stand up guy, most manufacturers would call that "non-warranty" damage, or rider abuse. You'd be left out in the cold with a bent board. Nice of him to fit a new board into his schedule for 0 profit.

I was just thinking every board Bruce makes is unique, not any 2 the same, well kinda. Your body can repair itself, but you can never get the same board so to speak. And another thing, your body parts will probably heal before you get your replacement coiler!

Originally posted by Sean

A sprained ankle will set you back a month or so. To get a replacement deck could take waaay longer. Besides, that's why they created health insurance, right? ;)

Well, mine has now set me back 6 weeks and counting... I will consider myself very lucky if I can ride hard at Mt Hood Carve Fest - I'm preparing myself for riding w/ the newbies and manning the demos at this point. Anything more will be icing on the cake.

at 46 and still counting I think that the burning smell of my visa card is MUCH more pleasant than the pain in my _____ (neck,back,butt,wrist,etc.) I say this as I am limping into week 2 after closing down Crystal Mtn. with the guys on Sunday from an testosterone/adreneline induced wipeout. No pain-no gain maybe, but I have health and income protecting insurance too!

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

at 46 and still counting I think that the burning smell of my visa card is MUCH more pleasant than the pain in my _____ (neck,back,butt,wrist,etc.) I say this as I am limping into week 2 after closing down Crystal Mtn. with the guys on Sunday from an testosterone/adreneline induced wipeout. No pain-no gain maybe, but I have health and income protecting insurance too!

One word: Sarcasm.

-Sean ( lost count of the pins and plates in both legs) Cassidy

Originally posted by NMU Alpine Boarder

Ok, I must be missing something here, but how exactly do you sprain an ankle in a HARDBOOT??? Obviously it can happen, but I can't see how, lol. I just dunno how the ligiments can get streached out.

Very easy, just fall down the stairs first thing in the morning. You can trip or slip on the snow. You don't even need to be riding to get injury. Ouch! Becareful it's a dangerous world out there.:(

Ok, I must be missing something here, but how exactly do you sprain an ankle in a HARDBOOT??? Obviously it can happen, but I can't see how, lol. I just dunno how the ligiments can get streached out.

They (at least Raichles) flex more than you think. The stress of my impact was enough so that I could feel my tiba recoil like a bent ruler. It felt like I had stuck my foot in a big electric socket!

Guest Randy S.

NMU, Its easy. Imagine standing on a 3M diving board with a 210 snowboard on. If you want, you can do it in the winter with some snow in the pool. Now jump off and land so that your board is pointing straight down. The ground comes up fast and you hit hard. Your knees will be forced into your chin or nose (nose in Mike's case) and your boots will flex way further than you expected. I don't think it matters which kind of boots you wear.

BTW, this was an academic question. I wrote it right after I sent Mike money for his board that I broke that day. I got to ride the rest of that weekend with Lynn Ott, Lisa Kosglow and a bunch of other World Cup riders. Plus I got to watch the World Cup competition. Plus I have another 8-10 days in since the incident and Mike's been sitting on the couch. That was definitely worth a couple of hundred dollars.

at my age(43) it seems like a slower healing is in progress than in years past. I'd go for the replacement board anyday. Its time on the slopes or being out biking that I treasure too much to miss while on the recovery. A month of healing is 30 days of riding.

Extra boards are for backup.