Note to New Members ×

Great day semi spoiled by the park monkeys

kevbo

I just spent a great day up at Timberline. Perfect temp. Snow was groomed perfect. I spent all morning on liftline at storman norman. The park monkeys can't deal with someone who rides different than them. Two seperate runs dodging snowballs!:angryfire I couldn't believe it. What a bunch of clowns. After waiting at the bottom all they had the balls to say was "so does that THING go fast?" "Do you want to race? In the most sarcastic tone. I just said you can't handle it, go back to the park with the rest of the monkeys. The good new is the mountain was great and now more snowballs.:ices_ange I then decided to make my mark in the terain park with a bunch of deep trenches for good measure. Anyone have any park monkey skidder stories?

Virus phantom 1 park monkeys 0

KR:)

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed the non-camper jibbers to be a little snotty at T-line. Campers, not so much. Maybe cuz the non-campers are highly urbanized and have something to prove, while the campers are more focused, goal oriented, and tend to be from out of town.. I've got plenty of sneers and "tude" from the non-campers, while campers seem truly interested in my set-up. Again, may just be a coincidence.

I was up there a few summers ago, and as all the other freestyle campers skidded down to the halfpipe, I noticed a group of five or six who were playing follow the leader and making beautifully carved soft boot turns on their way down. A few runs later I rode the chair with a woman who told me that she was one of the instructors at the freestyle camp. I pointed out the kids who were carving and asked about them.

"Oh them? They're the Japanese campers. I don't know what it is with them, they like to do those really exaggerated turns."

:freak3::freak3::freak3:

Apparently she had never even heard of carving...

I have to say that I have had a great year living in close proximity to the Park Monkey crowd. I guess it is the combination of being old and big and increasingly good that no one ever gives me any trouble. Generally, the miserable conditions kind of bring the die hards closer togeather regardless of what we are riding.

This last couple of weeks have been kind of interesting here in Seattle. As the other areas have closed, everyone still riding has been forced to our local hill. Therefore, I am finialy getting to see some other alpine riders. I have to say that I am very unimpressed with what I see. Sorry guys, but ripping straight down the fall line at 40MPH does NOT meet my definition of a carved turn/run. No wonder people can accumulate thousands of vertical feet if they never turn. I guess everyone should do whatever they want but the assumption that speed is a substitue for ability is wrong and I don't think it makes us look good as a group.

All boards will go fast straight down. All boards will do shallow turns at very high speed. To me, the cool part of this sport is the speed/force that comes from the arc of the turn. This requires you to actually turn and complete the turn more or less accross the fall line. Getting to the bottom of the hill is a by product of this process. When you actually doing multiple completed turns, the flaws in your ability will become pretty apparent as they tend to repeat and exagerate on each successive turn. All this is hidden by racing straight down so you can tell the park monkeys you are on a Race Board.

So, what I see now is that my 2-3 hours of extreamly hard work with the sweat dripping off the end of my nose and only several runs cannot really be compared to race track mentality of ride the chair, run straight down....

Sorry for the rant. I know there are some awesome riders out there and my instructor this year is one of them. I usually suspect that there is quite a bit of BS on this board but this weekend I could see at least three examples of inflated perception vs reality......

I know for myself that when i started finishing going up the falline that i considered getting what you guys were talking about. It really started to come together this year ,especially with the bts system on the boots.

I still have far to go considering from what i see in pics posted here.:)

Radial, which local hill? Must be the summit. Not sure how many local riders you have met, but there is no lack of talent in the region. Maybe its because the summit is considered flat by many standards? I know you can still carve turns there but with base sucking wet snow, straight might be the only way to descend. BTW, I was not there. Hope to see you next season. Art.:biggthump

Sounds like we need to have some carving sessions at Tline now that MHM is closed. Its always fun to lay some sweet lines down the middle of the park with all that good grooming gone to waste!!! Thank god there are no parks on the palmer. How about mon or tues next week? Also would to get a informal SES going for any days 5-16 to 5-22...

Jim

there's peace between the park rats and the hardbooters at eldora, although i always lay some nice trenches in their park to show them who's boss, especially because of the 20+ of them that will inevitably run our course during each day :angryfire. either way, my teammates, coach and I keep them in their place :D. eldora mountain likes us more, we don't bother them and we actually ride in control :eek: so they don't have to bother us :cool: