Note to New Members ×

coiler vs virus

jlips

them's fightin' words! i know i know...personal taste...price...all these factors will be touched on here. i just want to get a feeling from people who've owned/ridden both boards to give me some idea on what you preferred.

ive spoken to both bruce at coiler and frank at virus...both great guys who know a whole lot more about boards than i ever will. the coiler's seem like a more 'honest' board as the construction techniques, while very detailed, seem proudly traditional. virus seems to use more high-tech materials and construction elements.

ive heard that virus' USA rep is on here...ray? love to hear from you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a question of personal preference. I have ridden a glass standard Virus Psycho for four seasons. I only could ride this very small width, rocket at hardpacked well groomed pists (70/65 angles). Good edgehold, very fast. This board is not suitable for riding in soft, slushy snow, fresh powder or icy bumpy pists. It just simply digs in then. But that's just me.

The Coilers I rode (glass RC180 II and Metal Schtubby X2) are different. The RC180 II is also a board that dislikes soft slushy snow. It then feels somewhat dull and the grip is somewhat fague/dim. On the other hand is the RC an excellent board on groomers just like the Virus Psycho is. The metal Schtubby with a width of 20cm is from another planet. This is my do it all board with an outstanding grip and also a good behavior in slush, bumpy snow and icy spring groomers.

Can't speak for the new generation of Virus' boards. They are a league on their own with all those new materials like Vectran, Zylon and so on. What I don't like about these boards are their small width. That's what is stopping me to buy one.

I was on the Coiler schtubby and then went right to the Virus zylon at the SES and.........just my opinion so don't :flamethro me. :nono:

The virus was great going fast but was hard at a slow pace it just did'nt want to turn.

The Coiler was great at everything I put it through.

It depends on what your looking for.....a high speed cruiser or an everything board.

again my opinion.

Are u kidding me. Coilers suk arse! I will never own another one till he'll freezes over. Do your self a favor and head down the virus tech road!

BF must be using balsa wood mixed with RTV and elmers glue with plastic edges.

Don't do it!

Wait,,,,,,,,,,, **** what day is it? Dam. It April 2nd. Fphuq. Missed it again!

Oh well. I'll just have to mess with BV the fashioned way! Email him! Only 157 emails to go and I'll have the X4 Hyper-G down!:ices_ange

Right BV said Shred

ive heard that virus' USA rep is on here...ray? love to hear from you!

...sorry, can't really comment right now, am out

nywcd0.jpg with my skinny Virus...

Btw, Not a Virus rep, just a big fan :1luvu:

Hans, Huh?

"What I don't like about these boards are their small width. That's what is stopping me to buy one."

Cheers!

...sorry, can't really comment right now, am out

nywcd0.jpg with my skinny Virus...

Btw, Not a Virus rep, just a big fan :1luvu:

Hans, Huh?

"What I don't like about these boards are their small width. That's what is stopping me to buy one."

Cheers!

Hi, Ray

I like the outline of the extreme series from Virus very much. Those boards look beautiful. I only am not fond of their skinny width (15 - 17 cm). I know there are wider boards like the competition series. But I am a recreational carver, so I don't know what to do with a competition board. But may be you have another proposal/suggestion?? (No supercarver for me either, to specific)

Helmut, which Zylon model did you ride? If it was the Gladiator and it did not want to turn, then I think you missed something.... if it was the Berserker Zylon and indeed at low speed, then it sounds reasonable.... but just add a bit of speed and it will rip the hill into 2... :lol:

And Hans, you know that Frank has wide boards, too. Not even one! The ME109, the X-treme and the Scalpel just to mention a few.... and all of them are pretty much different... but all of them are great fun to ride... :1luvu:

And Hans, you know that Frank has wide boards, too. Not even one! The ME109, the X-treme and the Scalpel just to mention a few.... and all of them are pretty much different... but all of them are great fun to ride... :1luvu:

Hi, Istvan

I am not looking for an extremecarveboard as I stated here before. Looking for something in the 19-20.5cm range. But I think it will be custom Coiler again. I am just married to Bruce V. :lol::1luvu::eek::confused:

Helmut, which Zylon model did you ride? If it was the Gladiator and it did not want to turn, then I think you missed something.... if it was the Berserker Zylon and indeed at low speed, then it sounds reasonable.... but just add a bit of speed and it will rip the hill into 2... :lol:

Istvan, as I said the Virus railed at a good speed and it would hop the turns if you want it to. I was in no way saying one was better then the other.

I'm in Ohio so the Coiler is beter for me. It's a choice each rider has to make for himself.

jlips - If you had put a bit more information in your profile, like what country you're in at least, then we could help you out in a more positive manner rather than this argy-bargy.

There is a Virus for sale in Barrie, search the archives and you'll see it. e mail me directly if you want more info.