Note to New Members ×

What is on your iPod/mp3 player? Specifics please.

carvedog

So I finally threw down for an iPod this winter. Got a shuffle, the little postage-stamp-sized one. And I have to say it's awesome. After riding a bit with the iPod it is now part of my day when free riding.

By trial and error I have found that not every song by my favorite artists works for carving. In the pow the other day it was definitely a mellower vibe and just about every song that came up sounded great. Examples of this: I love Tom Petty and Counting Crows, but not every song works for carving. Petty's King for a Day is a great song but not for carving. You Wreck Me Baby does work. So I am looking for a handful of your favorite tunes ( not artists ) that gets you pumped up for carving.

Here are a few of mine from my last sync up. Would love to hear what your favorites are. I know I am a little heavy on U2 but they don't get old for me.

Just Like Heaven - the Cure

Country Girl - Primal Scream

A Higher Place - Tom Petty

Burning Down the House - Talking Heads

The Squirming Coil - Phish ( a little mellow better for the chair )

Back in Black - AC/DC

Lose Yourself - Eminem

Mysterious Ways - U2

Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz

I Still Havn't Found What I am Looking For - U2

Don't Tell Me - Madonna ( Don't laugh until you try it)

Beautiful Day - U2

Mountain Song - Jane's Addiction

Bouncing Around the Room - Phish

Burning Inside - Ministry

Can't get High - Widespread

Diner - Widespread

Are You Experienced? - Hendrix

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 3669 songs on my iPod, no clue on the last time I synchronized it.

Mostly on the way to Mountain High, once we are in the desert, I put on The Joshua Tree by U2, because that's exactly what you see :P

My favorite band by far is Tool, so usually I go through the 80 odd songs I have by them..still not sick of em.

Then King Crimson..I have all of their songs..but nobody else in my family really likes old progressive rock, so I really only listen to them at school.

On the note of the Cure, are you much for the opening triad on the Disintegration album? Prayers for Rain, Same Deep Water as You, and Disintegration? I think they are probably the best short song set I've heard. Tool has a few like that, where they throw in some connecting songs, but nothing is as powerful as those three. Also, Hendrix..According to my Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal, he's in there..OOOKAY.

Ive had my 2nd Gen Shuffle since it came out....I love it it has truely become part of my everyday activities. At first it was hard to build a 1GB playlist but it's been evolving for over a year now (its close to 2GB) and I now just sinc from it either weekly or whenever I add a new CD to my library.

post-507-141842255526_thumb.jpg

The Van Halen tape with Jump was my very first heavy metal/hard rock tape.

I was 2, and heard Jump being played on Sesame Street. Couldn't get enough.

Now, I hate most of Van Halen's stuff. Didn't even go to their first concert in like 20 years, even though it was down here. I went to Rob Zombie/Ozzy instead :P

iTunes flaws up some genres..Reel Big Fish? Ska.. Same with 311, it's not alternative, it's funky reggae ska rhythmic alternative rock.

Havn't listened to the Church in a while. And I have Just like Heaven from the Cure in my regular list right now.

I tend to do 25-30 songs that I am really jazzed about at the moment so I don't have to scroll threw everything to get that jamming tune that I want/need to carve it up.

Now here is the problem. Usually sync up to the laptop, but yesterday I noticed that I had missed a Widespread song off the desktop. Plugged in the pod and half the songs that I had put on didn't show up????

Dropped widespread in - didn't show and still half the songs not showing.

BTW-all the songs that were on the pod were in the music list on the the desktop.???

Came home to reinstall the other half of the carving 2008 spring list and now there is only one song showing up - at least it was AC/DC Back in Black but WTF is going on here? Any ideas? I reinstalled the tunes this morning and it seems to be working. Am I breaking some itunes rules that I didn't know about?

"10.15 Saturday Night" and "Unguarded Moment"? You're showing your age, and I'm showing mine - what a great playlist!!

It's evolving (256 songs)...Track #4 is from my first and oldest CD, bought in 1984...I had to have a friend of my dad's record it to "cassette" for me since we didn't have a CD Player for a few more years

Soul Finger - The Bar-Kays

Funky Kingston - Toots and the Maytals

Frequency of Iridium - Drag Pack

Hambo - Pic

Theme from "Wild Angels" - can't remember who it's by

What would Joan Jett Do? - The Launderettes

Twist and Crawl - The English Beat

Space Truckin' - Deep Purple

Gone Daddy Gone and Feng Shui - Gnarles Barkley

In the Mean Time - Space Hog

"10.15 Saturday Night" and "Unguarded Moment"? You're showing your age, and I'm showing mine - what a great playlist!!

So Allee, show your age, what are your fav five?

Thanks for some of the suggestions. I will look them all up on itunes. I love the preview thing although it doesn't work on all songs.

:biggthump

Great, great, carving day today. Bluebird 25 degrees, winter snow, chalk everywhere and you couldn't lose your edge unless you tried. :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

I love this sport.

I used to love iTunes...so much that I bought everything on iTunes and ripped it back to Mp3 to put on my Sandisk.

After changing over to Zune subscription...WHOA!!! This is cool stuff. Subscription is definately the way to go....otherwise I'd be using Satellite Radio.

- In the car the local Jack FM radio is all I need.

- I'm never in the public transport.

- On the chair lift I talk to people or enjoy the scenery.

- On the slopes, it is too dangerous to have the ears plugged. Yet, my soul and body are the music while carving.

On the side note, nice playlist C.Dog. I'm also fan of U2, The Cure, Kravitz, Talking Heads... I would probably add some Pretenders, REM, and few others...

Anyone thought of some classics? I think Bach and Straus are perfect - they go around, around, around and again, just like we do :D

- In the car the local Jack FM radio is all I need.

- I'm never in the public transport.

- On the chair lift I talk to people or enjoy the scenery.

- On the slopes, it is too dangerous to have the ears plugged. Yet, my soul and body are the music while carving.

On the side note, nice playlist C.Dog. I'm also fan of U2, The Cure, Kravitz, Talking Heads... I would probably add some Pretenders, REM, and few others...

Anyone thought of some classics? I think Bach and Straus are perfect - they go around, around, around and again, just like we do :D

I don't think wearing headphones in traffic is a great idea, but here in SV the slopes are deserted this time of year. Yesterday I skied with my wife for the first time this year and we got out on Broadway Face down to below and saw absolutely no one on the run from top to bottom - zero, none, nein, zip for other traffic. In fact most runs were that way and the carving is freaking epic right now.

Ok - back to the music. Just looking for ( at least ) your top five songs for riding or to get you pumped for riding. Since I asked for specifics please give me a few that work for you. No offense BlueB, but classical doesn't cut it for me. I used to listen quite a bit in the darkroom, but I am looking for thumping beats, rangy guitars and crisp drums. Not that I won't consider other options but I need specifics that way. A particular song as it were.

For instance while I like the Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil, the Janes Addiction version would make my list if I can find it. I think I must have had a bootleg. Down in it by Nine Inch Nails would make my list but only available as a music video download on iTunes for 3.50 or something like that.

So keep those suggestions coming. Thanks.

after a failed attempt to load Oceans 13 into the ipod, it dumped my library full of live ben harper and some videos for the new john mayer album. it's kinda SOY but the hendrix is great. I usually ride to aggro tunes snowboarding and chill on the lift to more mellow jack johnson stuff.

fyi,the ipod touch screen is differently formatted than a 30 gig video screen, learn as you go. Helps to have some IT techie buddys to help tweak the stuff.

bold as love

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBzbv4hJxY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBzbv4hJxY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mellow for the ride up:cool::cool:

and aggro for the ride down:eplus2::eplus2:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3FnQMSD4Zg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3FnQMSD4Zg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hii17sjSwfA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hii17sjSwfA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So Allee, show your age, what are your fav five?

If I wanted to show my age? :ices_angeHad to think about that overnight! It would definitely include :

Joy Division : "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Atmosphere"

New Order "Blue Monday" probably my favourite song of all time, some of the remix EP versions are great

Frankie! "Born to Run" and "Two Tribes"

B-52's "52 Girls" and "Rock Lobster"

Sex Pistols "Friggin in the Rigging" and "God Save the Queen"

The Cure (love the Cure!) "A Forest" "Lovecats" and "Inbetween Days"

As for the stuff I'm playing at the moment :

K-OS "Valhalla", "Born to Run" and "Ballad of Noah"

Fort Minor "Remember the Name" and "Petrified"

Hedley "Narcissist"

White Stripes "Hotel Yorba"

Guttermouth "She's Got the Look"

Goldfinger "Counting the Days"

Not that I ride with tunes anyway, and my Creative died and I've yet to replace it ...

Oh boy...Is that ever bad.

That's almost as bad as me and my Journey and Supertramp. Let me add that Supertramp isn't actually on my iPod, but there's usually one of their albums sitting on my turntable...

Well, I did say that I was showing my age with that lot ... and you only hate half of it, after all. I'd rather scour my eyeballs with a Brillo pad than listen to anything by Supertramp, but hey, each to their own.

And if you want to be picky, at least I was around when those songs came out. The first time :-) There's a difference between growing up with that stuff, and adopting it by choice!

Well, I admit it, the whole Supertramp thing is just sort of a running joke..that I've had for the last year or so..

That was previously the case with Journey, but I ended up REALLY liking them after hearing Wheel in the Sky.

I'm still a hesher at heart.

Also, I'm glad, and you guys should be glad that I don't love today's music. I'd be bragging about the fact that I wear my sister's pants and steal her eyeliner.

(which is odd, because I don't have a sister)

I'd be bragging about the fact that I wear my sister's pants and steal her eyeliner.

That sort of thing has been going on since the dawn of civilization. It's got nothing to do with todays music.

Forgot to put on my original list Lazy Afternoon by the Reivers.

New Order "Blue Monday" probably my favourite song of all time, some of the remix EP versions are great

Sex Pistols "Friggin in the Rigging" and "God Save the Queen"

The Cure (love the Cure!) "A Forest" "Lovecats" and "Inbetween Days"

You kick ass! I'm suprised you didn't throw a Siouxsie and the Banshies track up there.:D

Well, I did say that I was showing my age with that lot ... and you only hate half of it, after all. I'd rather scour my eyeballs with a Brillo pad than listen to anything by Supertramp, but hey, each to their own.

And if you want to be picky, at least I was around when those songs came out. The first time :-) There's a difference between growing up with that stuff, and adopting it by choice!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Awesome. That is some funny sh!t right there. Thanks for the laugh and the suggestions.

Scour my eyeballs with a Brillo. :eek:

Now we are getting a list going. Some great music in there. Some I have, some I had forgotten. Thanks all and keep 'em coming.

I would post my playlist but Alee pretty much just covered it.

Except for the George Strait/Alan Jackson/Toby Keith section ;)

Country Girl by Primal Scream is a great tune. Makes me want to get more. I have been known to listen George and Alan. Love Johnny Cash and the new Rick Rubin produced stuff as well. Not for snowboarding yet. I actually threatened to make one of my employees go home when they started throwing a fit about having to listen to Johnny.

Told her that I would try not to play his music while she was there, but if she was going to keep whining to just go home. Cuz noboby disses the man in black in front of me. :eplus2:

I think she thought I might have been kidding. I wasn't. But she wisely clammed up.

That's OK Tex, I didn't mention my girly-wuss-music section either.:barf:

You should have. I am adding in Luscious Jackson, Joan Osborne, Paula Cole, Sinead, Jewel and some others too. L7 is not really wuss music, but is an all-girl band.

Love Natalie Merchant and some Tracy Chapman. Michelle Shocked is great too.

So you see just putting it out there makes me think of all this other music that I need to get. A lot I have on disc somewhere.