Note to New Members ×

Local movie star considering joining the darkside

big mario

AP Loveland

Monodude, a featured, rider in Warren Milllers OFF THE GRID showed up at Loveland Basin without his new yama on sunday. Instead of riding in his usual side by side stance on a monoski, Monodude, also known as Don from Arvada, was seen riding a 165 Thias skawl with his left foot in front of his right. Still sporting ski poles and boots, Monodude has created yet another lightly populated subgenre of snow sports, skiwarving. Monodude was seen in the company of a stout hardbooter absoulutely destroying the slopes at loveland, leaving hundreds of sinewy trenches all over the mountain. When asked about the damage he had left on his new conveyence, Monodude replied " It was fun, I can't wait to do it again."

ap

mario

I've been skiiing on a snowboard for about 14 years, it's certainly not new, but defenitly "lightly populated". I would love to go skiing with a fellow "tripod". Maybe I can make it to the Lovey mini ses next year & double the population.

Keep the poles Don but "do it sideways":biggthump the mono stance was trumped by alpine SB stance long ago.

The original prototype of the "Monopl8" conversion system circa '92

post-5508-141842255147_thumb.jpg

When asked about the damage he had left on his new conveyence, Monodude replied " It was fun, I can't wait to do it again."

I don't much care for this wording...... gives a bad rap to an already troubled outlook that is on the horizon of what we do and how we ride even though the connotation is along the ideals of surfer lingo version of "Damage".

Guys, my silly little post was done in an entirely sarcastic and satirecal vein. Jack, I was unfamilliar with skawalling and didn't know poles were used, I was just making a commentary on the apparent joining of three discliplines after a really fun day on the slopes. Dave, have you not felt that way after passing a slope you have been riding all day?

sorry to those I have offended, it was all in fun

mario

Mario no worries, :)

As "one of those damn trenchmakers" I have looked up the hill both with equal pride and anguish in " LOOK WHAT I HAVE MADE !" as I roar waving my sword over my head (because WILSON is a snowboard not a volleyball)

Wonderfull thing Its snow... it flattens back out :)

Would really suck if they enacted a "replace your divots" rule like on a golf course... LOL

We would spend 30 seconds shredding, and 2 hours

snowplow grooming the hill just to do it all over again.. ahah

:smashfrea:biggthump

I'll take pix tomorrow of the ACE OF SPADES TRAIL before and after from the carve day.

Dave,

have a blast tomorrow, and tear it up. Monodude, myself, and the rest of the lovey crew will do the same. Groomers are a wonderful thing, I like how they get rid of the piles of ****e those skidders leave as well as our trenches. There is one steeper run we hit, spillway, that is usually filled in by the time I come up the lift for another run, I can't even admire my handy work.

mario

When asked about the damage he had left on his new conveyence, Monodude replied " It was fun, I can't wait to do it again."

I believe my comment was " Damn, we wrecked the place...Cool" :lol:

The Skwal is a blast to ride. All of the video I've seen no body uses poles. maybe a true "skwaller" thinks that's not right. I don't really care. The proof is in the trench I leave :biggthump

Don

Feed the addiction...

pros:

1pushing across the flats; :D(I love to step in right off the chair & push past the wetbutts blocking the run)

2getting up on heelside is easy:1luvu:

3step out binding release

4binding snow build up scraper

5can stop on 45* slope & stand comfortably:)

6upper body stability in the bumps; :eplus2:(didn't like bumps w/out poles, now I luv bumps)

7great branch whackers in tight trees;)

8back country hiking

9slope feelers in braile conditions

cons:

1gotta learn not to run over them

2baggy pants teenagers think you look funny:eek:

Mono was KILLIN' it today! What a blast to watch. He even had a few younger riders say how cool/crazy it looked. I was impressed.

Ink

Good Job Don!!!

FYI, Don WAS riding an alpine board both snowboard and mono style last season. Don is indeed a "Good Ole Boy" just having fun. He is indeed a true "Multi-Glissader" of the highest sort. Ride with him some time, you will have a blast.

while we're (slightly) on the subject of poles, i think its not fair that skiiers get poles and snowboarders have nothing. we need something that can push us through the snow... like... a paddle! and that grips the ice... like spikes... we need paddles with spikes!

Maybe if we introduce these to the snowboarding market the mountains will have their hands too full to deal wit their carving bans:eplus2:

It is nice to have him as an honorary member of the lovey crew, especially when he graces us with his presence, he fits right in with the rest of us freaks :biggthump

mario

Don is definitely in the "Big Boy Board" club. Or perhaps the "Big Boy Traveling Fast Club". I miss riding with Don.

Bryan