scyr1899

Is the board going to die?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the board going to die?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
    • Take a chance and buy the darn board.

I am looking at a board to buy. The board looks like it has been kept in an unheated garage standing up on edge, on the concrete. The rust on the tail is pretty bad and ALL of the other edges show signs of light rust or rust damage, although minimal. My concern is, will this rust creep around the steel edge and start to delaminate the board. If I buy the board and start to take care of it, will it be saved, or is it on it's way to a slow and painfull death? I'll try to post pics.

There is alot of guys out there with alot more experience in these matters than I, and I hope you will share your opinions with me.

Best regards............Steve.

post-7039-141842254504_thumb.jpg

post-7039-141842254507_thumb.jpg

post-7039-14184225451_thumb.jpg

Don't just take my word for it...

Rust WILL creep.

That being said, after I get back from boarding if I don't wipe them off right away I'll end up with a little surface rust. They don't rust nearly as bad now that I have a diamond and I can actually polish them a bit. Some rust can be filed off and I wouldn't be suprised if the "minimal rust" that you see on the sides is that kind of rust. The tail looks prettymuch beyond repair (with just a file of course). My feeling would be to not buy the board. If the previous owner let stuff like that happen to it, who knows what else on the board has been neglected.

If this is a first board for you, I would say buy it. You can file off the rust and if you keep your edges up, other than some slight discoloration, it will ride fine. You can also use sandpaper or a gummi stone to help get rid of the discoloration.

Rust is no big deal, Just tune the board or have the board tuned for you. I could make the board look and ride like new in under 5 minutes. If five minutes worth of tuning or spending the 20 bucks to have some one else tune the board for you is a deal breaker then thats up to you.

Oh yea and since you are new and have no idea where this info is coming from and your going to have a lot of comments from others saying thing like "the tail is a lost cause" etc. I have been tuning, repairing. and building snowboards since 1984.............................Like i said less then five minute on my bench and you would never no the board had rust.

+1 what Bordy said. I've fixed a lot of rust spots over the years. The worst that can happen even with a lot of rust is some pitting of the edge. A good filing and polishing can fix that, and even if there is some small pitting left over after that it won't affect the ride or the edge hold, especially on the tail.

+2 on Bordys post.

Just tune that sucker up and file off the pits on the tail. File it off on the tail. I mean its just the tail it's not in the sweet spot where you carve unless you carve a lot different than i do.

Use the rust to negotiate at least $40 or $50 off unless that is the price and then he probably won't

:biggthump

+2 on Bordys post.

Just tune that sucker up and file off the pits on the tail. File it off on the tail. I mean its just the tail it's not in the sweet spot where you carve unless you carve a lot different than i do.

Use the rust to negotiate at least $40 or $50 off unless that is the price and then he probably won't

:biggthump

agreed, rust aint no thang

Look into the tuning articles for how to remove surface rust , and you'll be GTG.

Where are the tuning articles? I've never done any tuning myself. Right now I'd like to remove a little surface rust from some edges and apply a storage wax, but I'm not sure how to do that.

No worries. I just got a board that had some nasty looking surface rust, a little bit of time with a gummi stone and some fine sandpaper for the worst bits, it's all good to go.

Brad, the best thing for the surface rust will be a gummi stone/soft stone, most shops should have one, they cost about $5. Just rub it along the edge and that rust should come right off.

• 2 weeks later...