Note to New Members ×

Carving resort recommendation for April

ILyUKhA

Guys,

which ski resort would you recommend for carving during the first week of April?

I'm an international student at Stanford, so I visited only Tahoe in US and I don't know much about good US ski resorts. And it seems it's going to be too warm in Tahoe in April...

I've just bough a Prior WRC Metal and now I need to find good mountains for my baby!

Thanks in advance for help!

Ilya

Tahoe in April is certainly going to be soft and slushy :(

Like Thor recommended I would aim for resorts at higher elevations. Colorado is a good bet, and maybe Mt. Hood in Oregon? They have skiing till June I believe.

Enjoy that metal! :D

Monarch, which is a little ski area in centeral CO is open till April 13th. Right now they have a 92" base. Tpalker is a regular there and would probably be happy to ride with you. He is also on a WCR and rips. Lift tickets are only $52 too. Forgot to mention that their base elevation is over 10000'.

Grand Targhee in far western Wyoming (you get there by driving through Idaho) is open thru April 13, and has good carving. You might also check Sun Valley in Idaho, I think it is open till mid April too.

Sun Valley will be open at least until then. They offer discount rates for college students especially late in the season. One year we were open until May 5th so I think at least April 20th or so this year at a minimum.

Lots of North facing terrain as well. It can still be slushy but with the variety of exposures you can vary the cook time on the fresh corn and get some amazing riding late season. Two years ago it snowed hard and got cold and we had full winter chalk conditions the last two weeks so you never know.

What is CODINGTONS? I tried to google "CODINGTONS ski resort" and got zero results.

I think about going to Colorado. By the ways, alpinecarving.com also recommends Vail. Is it good in that time?

What do you think about Salt Lake City?

Thanks to everyone again!

Ilya

Mt. Hood Meadows in Oregon has a great spring deal.

There's still plenty of base (164 inches), and the spring season pass is $119 for unlimited riding through the end of the season. The mountain will run the lifts daily until April 27--then they end daily operations and go weekend-only.

The snow will likely start firm/icy, soften up and then turn to slush by the end of the day, but you'll probably pay more for similar conditions at a lot of resorts at that time.

Timberline (also on Mt. Hood), as others have posted, is also open through the summer, though you'll pay more for less terrain there.