Note to New Members ×

Wax Question--a New One!

John Bell

OK, so the consensus is that after you hot-wax, you scrape off as much as you can, leaving only the wax that has seeped into the P-Tex.

But obviously, riding somehow removes the wax, making it necessary to reapply it.

So how is it that scraping off as much as you can before riding is good (and that some is still impregnated in the base), but that sliding on snow---which is much softer than a plexiglas or plastic scraper (or a credit card, which is what I use)--somehow removes so much wax from deep in the base that we have to put more on?

Am I making sense with this question? Here I am scraping hard with a plastic card to get excess wax off the base--and the whole reason I put any on there is that a softer material (snow) has scraped off the wax that was there before!

I'll venture a guess.

1) If you don't scrape off the excess, you'll be base high.

2) Wax as applied is not flat or smooth.

If you could apply a thin, uniform layer of wax, you shouldn't have to scrape. But so far as I know, there isn't a way for a DIY waxer to do this.

straight wax is slow on snow and snow is not softer than plexiglass, ice crystals are pretty abrasive, they just feel soft due to the size of the crystals

Interesting. OK, I can see that they'd be more abrasive than they seem to the touch--but surely not more than a hard plastic scraper, right?

I'm going to recommend an experiment. I see you're from NYC, so take a trip to your favorite tri-state resort, ie Mountain Creek, Hunter, Camelback etc. When you get to the top, take off all of your clothes, then ride down the mountain. Every time you pick up any significant speed, hurl yourself forward onto the snow. Make sure you slide good and far on your stomach and genitals - steeper trails work the best. Do that all day.

Bleeding yet? Be nice to your snowboard.

Weird, wild stuff.

A cool thing for a manufacturer to do--Sean, Bruce, Chris, y'all reading this?--would be to take the sheets of p-tex and then soak them in a tub of heated wax before installation; that way the wax would be in there from the get-go. Or maybe someone's already thought of this.

Weird, wild stuff.

A cool thing for a manufacturer to do--Sean, Bruce, Chris, y'all reading this?--would be to take the sheets of p-tex and then soak them in a tub of heated wax before installation; that way the wax would be in there from the get-go. Or maybe someone's already thought of this.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that cause problems getting the ptex to bind to the bottom of the core???

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that cause problems getting the ptex to bind to the bottom of the core???

DOH!

Maybe they could use a real thick slice of the stuff and leave the top half sticking above the "water line" of the hot wax. There ya go!

Um, yeah, I avoided chemistry all through school. And physics. Etc.

I'm going to recommend an experiment. I see you're from NYC, so take a trip to your favorite tri-state resort, ie Mountain Creek, Hunter, Camelback etc. When you get to the top, take off all of your clothes, then ride down the mountain. Every time you pick up any significant speed, hurl yourself forward onto the snow. Make sure you slide good and far on your stomach and genitals - steeper trails work the best. Do that all day.

Bleeding yet? Be nice to your snowboard.

Shouldn't he first hot wax himself?

From Tongar.com

What Is Structure?

As a ski or snowboard slides over snow crystals, heat is created due to friction. This heat, in turn, creates water droplets by melting the tips of the snow crystals. Water is the key to bases that are fast and easier to turn, but only if the correct amount is present under your skis or snowboard. If the snow and humidity is very dry, there may not be enough water present to help improve glide. In this case, it may need to be produced through greater friction between the snow and a base with a smooth or fine structured finish.

When snow is warm or wet, however, excess water can be generated underfoot that creates suction and slows your glide. In this situation, the base should be structured with a pattern, which, similar to tire tread, breaks up suction and helps channel water away. In general, a finer structure with base rills or ridges spaced .5mm or less apart is best for cold, dry snow...and a coarser structure with base rills or ridges spaced .75mm or more apart is best for warmer wet snow.

Another rule of thumb is that the rills or ridges should never be larger than one-half the size of the snow crystals...this avoids crystals from getting stuck in the troughs of the structure and creating drag.

Structuring can make more difference in speed than waxing, according to world cup technicians. It can also make a board or ski easier to turn for recreational riders. Electra (black) bases don't need as deep a structure as a clear sintered base since they develop less heat overall...and fluorocarbon waxes also work well with a finer structure due to their greater water repellancy.

Hope that helps

Since it's not P-tex, just rip it off (along with any unsightly hair) in one big yank!!!:eek:

Whatever you do to get that hair off, do it. Strait from the source of World Cup quality tunes, the Precision Tuning Center:

It is proven that a base with a virtually hairless finish from proper stone grinding is the first step in slowing down the onset of abrasion.

These guys must have a lot of experience getting rid of hairs.:barf::biggthump