Note to New Members ×

ECES quiver thinning - Madd 158 & Skwal

tex1230

During or immediately after ECES I will have the following for sale:

Madd 158 - prototype that I bought from Chris Houghton - I love this board. No graphics...It's everything you'd expect out of a Madd 158. Edges are good BUT THIN, base has some very minor scratches (not worth fixing) - You won't see them in a pic. I changed from a similar vintage ('04-'05 I think) Madd 170 to a new Madd 170 f3 (stiff flex) and like the stiffer one so much that I'm going to order the 158 f3 next season, so I won't need this after ECES. (TD2 base plates not included) I had a few people look at this board to determine condition. It has plenty of camber and life, but the edges are a little thin and so is the base. I has no problems riding the couple of days I did at ECES, but this board has been ground alot. ***sold***

Skwal 165 *******sold******

DSCI0052.jpg

DSCI0054.jpg

(ignore those timestamps - It's my son's camera and I haven't set the date/time - those were just taken)

Preference given to ECES people so I don't have to ship !

contact me at my name at gmail dot com.

If no one ever asked you "Is that a monoski?", this may be your chance!

Seriously... is that just a narrow small radius alpine board? Why does it need "skwal plates"? How would it compare (stiff, lively) to something like my only real frame of reference - a Donek FCII? I always thought it might be fun to have something that length with a big cut... Hmmm....

________

Zoloft Withdraw

Review from a 3rd party:

I've got one too. However, I've never ridden a Donek... It's relativelly stiff, very lively and super turny. You'll be able to put the heelside hip on the snow after couple of runs.

As it wants to turn all the time, and turn tight, it's quite a workout.

Toe side is a bitch to initiate.

You need Skwal plates as it is only 12cm wide. Normal TD2 plates are 16cm. Some of the narrower bindings might work, though.

Boris

The skwal vs the Donek...no real comparison. the Skwal has an 8m radius and wants to turn all the time. It is slightly softer than the donek, but the real difference is the stance. I think the widest possible stance is around 18 inches, and the angles are in the high 80's. High angles are easy to adjust too. narrow stances ate difficult for me. As B said, the plates are necessary due to the waist width.

If no one ever asked you "Is that a monoski?", this may be your chance!

Seriously... is that just a narrow small radius alpine board? Why does it need "skwal plates"? How would it compare (stiff, lively) to something like my only real frame of reference - a Donek FCII? I always thought it might be fun to have something that length with a big cut... Hmmm....

ITs an allmtn skwal. quite wide for a skwal actually. Its intended to be ridden with your rear toe as close to your front heel as you can get it with just enough angle to clear the binding latch on a standard binding. the idea is to create only one flex point instead of two. (ie the narrow stance) the technique is a little different feeling. you can stand tall on it and work the tail with your back leg like a slalom water ski and you can get forward on it and ride it one leg at a time by unweighting the leg not responsible for edging. for a regular setup you can work the left edge with the heel and lateral edge of your left foot and the right edge with the ball and lateral edge of your left foot while totally unweighting the opposite foot. feels like skiing one legged! no worries on where your ass is! its impossible to sit on the pot on this one:lol:

What's the flex on that Madd? I might be interested... Can I take it for a couple runs at ECES?

this is before they had different flexes - sure you can take it for a run

It looks like you don't have your stance set forward like most folks do on the Madd 158. Is that correct?

No, I ride it centered. You have to throw yourself forward into turns, so alot of people do that. I tend to ride the nose anyway, so I never did.

Madd $275 or best offer

Skwal $275 including one each 0, 3, 6 degree plates. firm at that price - if nobody wants it I'll try it again later...

Jdog - I believe you are first in line for the skwal, I'll check emails on sunday and get back to you.