Note to New Members ×

What are some good bindings for freestyle?

Powercarver129

I have a chance to get myself a good freestyle setup and I'm wondering what bindings are out there that I could get for a decent price (but new), like on ebay for example. I was almost going to buy some burton missions (07) but I read some reviews that said they break pretty easily. I really want the toe caps. What are your suggestions and can you send links to more info/pictures? Thank you!!!

I have to agree on the toecaps, although I admittedly haven't tried any firsthand. Even though they look good in theory, I don't think your boot moves in that direction in a decent binding. I'd concern myself more with heel lift.

I have older missions on my light mogul board. They are really basic but pretty light compared to FR2's or Salamon SPX Carbons I have. They are noodles relative to either of those though... but that's all fine for a bump board.

________

FULL MELT BUBBLE HASH

I like toe caps but in no way should they be a deal breaker because all they do is make it easier to get your boot in better contact with the binding

burton cartel, PH1, co2 and c60 are all incredible, nidecker 800s are good as are most of the bindings by Ride

lots of GREAT choices when it comes to softboot bindings

if you want stiff go catek or nidecker 900s but those are pretty beefy if you're looking to jib it up

I like Prestons (Ride). No frill, solid binding. I used to take the rear highback off when I was limber for extra tweakage.

with your airwalk scrub boots?

anything that says preston on it now is a decade old and for the love of god keep the high backs on. the Ride LX is good no frills job though keeping up the old preston rep. the ride spi is a hot **** binding, from past years the migs and tomcats were effin' nice too. http://www.google.com/products?q=ride+snowboard+bindings&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&start=30

these days high backs are in, even with rattiest of the park rats

nidecker vipers are supposed to be really nice but I can't verify as I have not gotten on them but the older model the 800 is bad ass http://www.google.com/products?q=nidecker+binding&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd

Allot of people love salomon bindings but for me I've found that allot of the "features" of their bindings to be annoying and the design of some of the models are failures waiting to happen or just cheesy rip offs of other manufacturer's decent designs.

their boards have gotten way better in the last five years though.

I love burton bindings when it comes down to it, I like their straps the best, they are fairly rugged, most of them are super light and they just do their job pretty well.

if I were gonna go jib and ride pow day in day out I'd be on the c60 for sure if for a more sane price the p1. burton bindings are a bit softer than most other top end bindings that I've been on though but that's fine in the park and in the pow. http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/BUR1725/Burton-P1-Snowboard-Binding.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO003&CMP_SKU=BUR1725&mv_pc=r126

I've heard great things about rome bindings from people in the know but not been on them, worth looking at though.

I have a pair of Burton cartels with the toe strap you are talking about. These bindings aren't bad but for one big problem. On toe side turns and on medium to soft conditions the toe strap can dig into the snow and break off. I have done this about five times in one year. I have them on a Ride Timeless. My binding angles are 45 front and 48 back and my shoe size is 9 1/2. I don't get much toe drag but if conditions are right I will drag that toe piece into the snow and rip the end of the plastic strap off.

Good Luck

with your airwalk scrub boots?

anything that says preston on it now is a decade old and for the love of god keep the high backs on.

They don't make them like they used too. A little heavier? Sure, but the stuff would last forever. And they were Airwalk Freeride boots. Anyone remember Bamboo Curtain? Still got the jacket and pants from over 15 years ago, and the same Kombi King gloves. Gloves now are disposable, one season use. Companies got savvy, don't make it last more than one season, sell more next year.

Burton Stumpy boots with lowbacks were the rage back in the mid 90's. I had the Airwalk Evolution Low cuts myself. Double handed nose grab behind the back? Did it.

man, I used to break binding and straps constantly in those days. now I hardly ever do.

if you want a tough binding for softies the catek FR1 is as burly as it gets, straps will be the only thing that get replaced on them bad boys.

gloves, 119.jpg not much beats those for warmth and durability.

I loved the convenience of the older flows, and the newer ones are supposed to have the option of a more free-style oriented flex. The intecs of softboots, IMHO.

Uh - there are Intec softies from F2... Not in production anymore, but still...

"El Camino - that's like the Cadillac of cars Earl!"

intec-joint-blaurot-1.jpg

My kid pinched my Cartels and now I'm stuck with his old Flows. I thought I'd like them but I find they are a PITA to do up and they are really squeezing my foot. Once done up, I like the support they provide but man, they are tight.

Are they supposed to be that way? Any tips on getting them adjusted properly? They are old, original Flows and I am jamming a pretty bulky Burton Mission boot into them.

i like to ride my flow's on the looser side. that way i can tweek my boot around in them a bit. also this bit of extra room is good when snow gets packed in under the boot. I find that a lower volume boot works best with the flow system. I tried my Salomom Synapse boots in my flow FR's and did not like how they worked.. but my burton driver boots work great !!!

The issue with the Flow is the made them to work with their own boots best. Flow boots are like a logger boot made out of carbon steal. I have the Dominators and they should have been called the Dominatrix they bind you up like a XXX web site. If they fit it is awsome (the Boots) but took some getting used to. The only other boots I have had luck with in Flows is Northwave they need to be a thinner boot.

Paul