Note to New Members ×

Help! Any F2 binding owners?

Allee

Here's my problem - I bought a set of Carve RS step ins at the end of last season, and when I tried to mount them up in Dec, the screws that came with them are WAY too short (as in, they won't even reach the board).

I tried various screws from shops in Calgary, but not having a lot of luck. Metric is not big here, and all I can get is socket head, which stick up too far to put the centre plate on, or a pan head but in 14mm, which is too long. I really need a pan head M6 12mm, and I ordered said part from McMaster, but it's been on backorder for over a month.

I'd really like to bring these bindings to SES with me (I hate standard bindings!!). Is there anyone going to SES that might have a spare set of mounting screws for the F2 bindings, or ordered some replacements and has some left over? Or, know where I can get some stat?

James - I tried Home Depot, they have a very limited selection of metrics and they only have 10mm and 16mm in the pan head/slot head. Maybe the USA is different, they might have more. I've got the centre disk pushed in as far as I can, it screws to the board great with the 12mm socket heads, but then I can't get the cap on...

Gord, thanks for the heads up - I thought Dave was going to ECES rather than SES this year, but I'll drop him a line.

Hi Allee,

No worries, I should have some, and I will be happy to throw some in my bag, just track me down tomorrow, or whenever you arrive. Felicia will be holding down a barstool all day every day, so I can leave them with her.

I will send you a direct email with my cell so you can find me..

Cool?

Al

James - I tried Home Depot, they have a very limited selection of metrics and they only have 10mm and 16mm in the pan head/slot head. Maybe the USA is different, they might have more. I've got the centre disk pushed in as far as I can, it screws to the board great with the 12mm socket heads, but then I can't get the cap on...

Can you leave the cap off for now?

I thought the F2 Carve RES screws were too short as well but found that they are fine, just tough to get started. What I did was use some other longer random M6 screws to pre-mount the bindings - I just used two of them on opposite holes. Then I used the ones that come with the bidnings, which will now engage properly. Finally I replaced the random ones with the proper ones. The disks on those Carve RS's sit flush with the deck once properly mounted - but I could never get the screws to reach until the disk has been tightened down.

Hope that helps.

When installing the discs is a bear to get the plate to set flush to the board. Work it hard and once you get one screw started it will start to sink into the binding, and those short screws are just fine. I have several F2's and they all work that way.

Also try wetting the plate, and if that doesn't work try dish soap.

I had the same thought when I got a set of F2's I used one long screw from an old binding to get it started and once you pull the plate down a little the screws that came with it are plenty long. The center plate is very thin once you get it started.

Paul

I thought the F2 Carve RES screws were too short as well but found that they are fine, just tough to get started. What I did was use some other longer random M6 screws to pre-mount the bindings - I just used two of them on opposite holes. Then I used the ones that come with the bidnings, which will now engage properly. Finally I replaced the random ones with the proper ones. The disks on those Carve RS's sit flush with the deck once properly mounted - but I could never get the screws to reach until the disk has been tightened down.

Hope that helps.

+1

The screws are the correct size the gaskets are new and need to be compressed

DO NOT USE LONGER SCREWS YOU MAY (OR WILL) DAMAGE YOUR BOARD!!

Push the disk down hard on with your hand then try to start a screw.

F2 sends the correct screw with all there bindings!

:biggthump