Note to New Members ×

WTB: Board for narrow choppy runs, light rider

Zafer

I'm 140 lbs, have a Donek Pilot 167 which I just learned to carve on, but can't quite get full semicircles on the narrow slopes of my tiny local hill. It also feels kinda rough on the usual evening chop I have to ride. (Then again, I've never been on any other alpine board, so I have no point of reference.) Any inexpensive recommendations for my low skill level and weight that might help more than the Pilot for these less-than-ideal conditions?

General advice on what kind of board I should look for would also be appreciated -- I don't know if I really need a particular sidecut or flex or type of board.

--

Zafer

Did you listen to all the big board boys and buy that 167 for your first board? You didn't really say how much riding you've been doing, but for a 140# rider I'd say that 167 is too big, unless you are a pretty good rider.

If the narrow choppy run is all you have available, it will be hard for you to really learn until you master being able to drive that board around a turn. You have to drive it hard to get it to turn. So maybe more time on the board and maybe more aggressive riding to get it to turn.

But I'd say you need to try something shorter. So spend another $100-200.

The Oxygen 159 (proton?) would be a great board for exactly the conditions you describe. Its a slalom board and will turn really fast, and its a race board so its stiff and will cut through the chop.

Don't get the Oxy SuperX. wrong board for those conditions.

See if you can find your self a cheap little 149-158, Nitro, Rossi, Oxygen, Santa Cruz, or ?? I like HOT boards (french), but they are a bit softer and don't like the chop as much.

Ride it for a while then keep it as your rock board. Don't worry that its not a big board, if you can carve it and it works then it works.

For reference I'm 5-8 170# and my quiver is:

164 Oxy Proton Race

162 Hot Shine

162 Hot Special

164 Oxy SuperX 64 (the powder board!)

180 Hot Blast

That, I'm working on! :D

Mike T is right, at my weight I can bend the Pilot alright, no problem on bigger mountains, and the rest is probably just my riding. I still need to pick up a rock board anyway though, so thanks a lot for all the great feedback, guys!

--

Zafer

I totally agree. Typical freeride is much more turny than a typical alpine. Also, lower binding angles are more forgiving and the extra width helps penetrate the crud. You might not be able to load the board as much, but this probably isn't an issue if you're thinking about keeping the speed down and cranking small turns.

I used to ride an Eldorado on plates. All good. A friend swears by his Timeless. I'm sure you can find lots of suggestions for a decent freeride if you choose to go that route.

i am of similar weight, a bit more experience.

you guys out west are not riding the small hills and dealing with the meat gates we do, so please, understand that a smaller board can also have to give the smaller guys a piece of mind. half the turns you do out west will surely get you in a collission over here...i was riding my burton speed 154 this past weekend...i don't feel like taking the 163 Freecarve out...of course riding more will help, but i did the smaller board too

I have a 164 Volkl Spline that turns nice and quick and handles crud very well. It is more of BX board. BX boards that have a rounded tail will have a shorter effective edge making then a little easier to manage. Volkl Spline and the stiffer Cross show up here for sale every now and then.

If you give up on the Pilot let me know. It is about the perfect length GS board for my wife on a nice groomed day.