Note to New Members ×

Utter Bliss to Disgust

Chubz

- Just venting

Our conditions here in eastern PA finally settled into above average acceptability this morning. ice finally disappeared, firm flat groomed. Little stiff in the morning but began to hero up by 11:30.

Cranking tight turns on my favorite run, come out of a toeside turn and something didnt feel right. I stop and look down to see a crack in front and behind my rear boot. NO No No NO NO NO. :mad: Make my way to bottom of hill.

Inserts sheared the wood parallel with the board and lifted between two wood stringers just left of the rear inserts.

POGO Overdose 162, one of my favorites. I will post pics when I get my head back to normal.

If I were single I wouldnt give two hoots, but I am on board detention and the wife wont see a reason to get another SL board.

Like I said just venting becuase I know there are other folks that have lost favorite boards. It's just.......:barf:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like something that should be covered at least partially on such an expensive board, no?

I broke a board once...only once though...but it was in the middle of a trip and I was hard up for cash. Morrow covered the damn thing when I got back! I told them exactly what happened, etc, and they still gave me a replacment. Thought that was pretty damn cool of them

Just got it last season, not new but barely ridden.

Yea I was super suprised on the failure based on what I have heard on POGO's and how well they ride.

I will drop them a line to see what they say and keep the fingers crossed.

I have not had much luck the past few seasons. I had a MADD 158 snap on me a couple years ago. Pit of stomach wretch.

I was told I could get one a cost, followed up with Mike but never head back from him, so I let it go. Maybe I will drop him a line to see if he would still honor it , but dont want to a pain in the a$$. I will also try POGO.

It seems the boards I fall in love with:1luvu: end up breaking my heart. love sucks:(

The hardest thing is milking my wife for $$$. I'm a toy guy and she is a vacation freak to warm places.

I was told I could get one a cost, followed up with Mike but never head back from him, so I let it go. Maybe I will drop him a line to see if he would still honor it , but dont want to a pain in the a$$.

No follow up? really? Nice.

Curious...how is holding someone to their word being a pain in the ass?

Man that completely sucks. :( First the Madd and now this, I remember seeing you fold the Madd- unbelievable. When I tuned the Pogo last week I noticed a very slight bulge on the base right next to the toeside edge (maybe heelside); approximately 1" long 1/8"wide 1/16"high running perpendicular to the edge. (Toward the middle of the board) I only noticed it when I was hand polishing the edge and the stone skipped. I meant to mention it when I saw you next, but it slipped my mind until now. I don't think it would be connected to the inserts failing, but maybe it was an earlier sign of fatigue..??

On another note: I've ridden with Chubz for a few years now and have to say he RIPS. Very aggressive rider that can really bend a board at will. Impresses me to no end and really has pushed my riding level up a few notches. I'm curious if the TD1s he usually rides might be stressing a board more than current bindings? Stiff binding, heavier (200+ hope this is right), aggressive rider. When I compare the surface area and dampening of the TD1 to the TD2, there is a big difference. I have heard from a few people that some older boards had problems with TD1s, but that most newer boards have beefier inserts. Is there any actual data or experience to support this or disprove it?

Chubz- Maybe the wife might go for a new board when she realizes that you have to get new bindings. It would be for the cause: R & D must continue and some expenses have justifications that us mere mortals can barely comprehend.

Sorry for your loss,

JBS

Man that completely sucks. :( First the Madd and now this, I remember seeing you fold the Madd- unbelievable. When I tuned the Pogo last week I noticed a very slight bulge on the base right next to the toeside edge (maybe heelside); approximately 1" long 1/8"wide 1/16"high running perpendicular to the edge. (Toward the middle of the board) I only noticed it when I was hand polishing the edge and the stone skipped. I meant to mention it when I saw you next, but it slipped my mind until now. I don't think it would be connected to the inserts failing, but maybe it was an earlier sign of fatigue..??

On another note: I've ridden with Chubz for a few years now and have to say he RIPS. Very aggressive rider that can really bend a board at will. Impresses me to no end and really has pushed my riding level up a few notches. I'm curious if the TD1s he usually rides might be stressing a board more than current bindings? Stiff binding, heavier (200+ hope this is right), aggressive rider. When I compare the surface area and dampening of the TD1 to the TD2, there is a big difference. I have heard from a few people that some older boards had problems with TD1s, but that most newer boards have beefier inserts. Is there any actual data or experience to support this or disprove it?

Chubz- Maybe the wife might go for a new board when she realizes that you have to get new bindings. It would be for the cause: R & D must continue and some expenses have justifications that us mere mortals can barely comprehend.

Sorry for your loss,

JBS

I know Madd frowns on using TD1's on their boards. When I was at SES in 06 Shaggy was setting up a demo for me (using my bindings) and he REALLY didn't want to use my TD1's. Shaggy eventually gave in after he got the nod from Mike but that was probably due to my 165lbs. I think if I weighed 200+ they wouldn't of allowed it. I think they do put more stress on boards than TD2's but I have no stats to back this up with.

I do know one of the most aggresive riders I've ridden with rides a Madd 180 with TD1's and he's never had any problems with his board. YMMV obviously.

Yea I spoke to Shaggy about the TD1s and indicated their stance but said he would check with Mike and I think Mike realized how jazzed I had been about his boards, especially the 158. I have always promised myself I would get another one, this may be the chance. I was alos checking out the 180.

I cant find the bulge you are speaking of Jesse, but you have the keen eye. Either way, I still would have ridden it.

Once I post the pics you will see.

I am in process of gathering things to sell in order to get a set of TD2's. They are scarce on BOL, so I may need to get a new pair or maybe wait til ECES to see if anyone has an extra set.

The Blitz is my regular machine, but conditions where I ride have called for a tighter turning board. The Blitz, made my head grow and the testy's enlarge. You cant lollygag on it and have to be on point with it. It is super narrow, which I guess some folks dont like, but I love it, I ride 70,67 angles so its just a peach.

Trying to post pics but my resizer is not functioning.

Gotta run

In person, it looks like the tips of the insert brackets aligned with the joint between hardwood stringer and the first softwood stringer and just sheared it. The pics dont show the darker hardwood behind the light softerwood. I have seen this with other wood working projects where the softer wood fails before the epoxied joint fails.

If I ever get back to building my own snow decks, I will consider widening my interior hardwood stringers with this in mind.

ARGH

post-1008-141842248086_thumb.jpg

post-1008-141842248089_thumb.jpg

post-1008-141842248091_thumb.jpg

I did take a knee at the bottom of the hill with my head in my hands, almost in a hazy state of disbelief. Almost trying to tell myself it didnt happen.

Then I cooled a bit, said a few words of thanks slide it back and forth on the snow, as if to say goodbye to the snow.

Limping and maimed, I had to take out back of the house and put a bullet to finish it off.

Hell, even if POGO doesnt help me out, I may be able to salvage.

My skateboard building skills I developed this summer, just might help.

Back in the 80's my dad and I fixed my buddies Burton Performer 150 when his binding tore out. He rode it for several years following or repair without incident.

have broken donek wide 169 some years ago with catek os1 in SAME way. as I get - binders was TD1? distance between binding pressure point (nearest ot edge) and edge of the board is a lever for this break type.... seems like td1 is a sure "winner" in this battle with your pogo

it sucks....

PS I drive overdose with os1

A little Crazy Glue and duct tape will fix that right up.

What? Did you skip woodworking in 3rd grade? Everybody knows that the only glue to use for Wood is good ol' Elmers. Clamp it down firm and you'll be set to go by morning.

Looking at the pictures, IMHO it wasn't the bindings that broke the board as the break is inside the contact patch visible on the board. You might be in good shape to get a warranty as that seems like a really odd place and way for a board to break like that.

I thought the same thing, but the width of the binding on that side would not have mattered. The leverage and force would have been coming from the opposite side (my toeside, regular foot) on the left side inserts. the wood seems super dry (brittle) and I think the edge of the insert plates put too much stress on that section to the point of failure.

I will check with them today to see what they think.

Who knows.

The one time I rode with Chubz, I was so impressed at how super aggressive he was.....and from top to bottom never letting off.....from that day it had me realize what a board can actually take....and I wasn't even getting close to slap mine yet......Chubz thanks for showing whats possible!

I do see a great chance for some compensation there. That break is a malfunction of the board and not cause by any irresponsible riding. Clearly you were tweaking the crap out it and it let go. I would think if you explain the situation and also your confidence in there product, (also owning more than one of their boards), as a reputable manufacturing company they will back their customer. Good luck - let know how it goes.

I appreciate the compliment and ride how I think the boards should be ridden, pushing the limits, but dont take it as being abusive (like some kids in the park on freestyle),but a lot of that came from riding with JBS. He help me push my limits and continues to do so. I only know I had a good run if my quads are burning like hell, I am heavily panting and I am grinning at the same time.

There is no sense in dilly dallying on alpine board becuase that is not what they are made for. Thats why I get so pissed for icy days, while you can still ride, its just not fun to me. I love the sensation of dropping from one turn to the next without concern of the board releasing and feeling that board kick back at you is the best.

I have taken the steps in letting POGO know of the incident, how much I love their boards and that also own a Blitz, which is my favorite board. I can only hope they step up and follow thru. From what I learned in reading about them, I think it would be in line with their vision, top notch board that rock.

keep the fingers crossed.

In summary, I dont want to paint a picture that POGO arent worth looking at, my experieince on them has been nothing but posititve and they rock. To the point that I sold a few other boards to pick up the Blitz after riding the OD. I will continue to keep them in the Quiver.

hmm, looks like their "double insert" system worked, but in a tragic way. instead of ripping out individual inserts, you managed to rip them all out! yikes! from what i understand, their policy is free repair jobs (if they can do it). I dont know what their warranty policy is, especially since you bought it used

I am continuing to ride TD1 Stepins. I am going to however consider adding some lexan plates on the deck surface as suggested by one of my cohorts to further distribute the load.

I am not sure how you ride, but I weigh 210 and push limits of board within my weight range, especially on hero days. I honestly think as I look closer at the raised area, the wood seems dry rotted and fragile, which I think would be the root cause not the bindings.

I have been riding TD1s for 4 years now with several days and negligible incidents. they are a great product and I dig them. I dont want to creat paranioas about them. they have been great bindings for many people over the years and people continue to use them with great success.