Note to New Members ×

Who here races?

Kent

Who here CURRENTLY races? Talking about the old days doesn't count....  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who here CURRENTLY races? Talking about the old days doesn't count....

• Race Professionally
    • Amatuer Racer with MORE than 3 years exp
    • Amatuer Racer with LESS than 3 years exp
    • Wannabe Racer - How can I start?
    • Free Carving for dis foo only!
    • Nope, sorry Kent....off piste only for me

...is kinda interested in racing, and occasionally takes a run through a NASTARish course that is sometimes set up at my local hill. But that's about it.

I'd like to do more racing, but it seems to involve too much waiting around in the cold, and not enough having fun.

FWIW, I have total respect for the people who are fast through a course. Until I saw a World Cup slalom ski race up close and live I had absolutely no idea how good the best in the world were. They're totally unf*ckingbelievably good.

I didnt get to race AT ALL this season due to other commitments that have absolutley no effect on anything else, but anyway. I was doing REALLY good in NASTAR two years ago, finished 26th out of 275ish for the season. Would have done even better, but I fell and broke my leg on course. The US Snowboard team keeps sending me free stuff to convince me to train with them and get better, maybe next year if the offer still stands.

-Justin

________

Ford granada (europe) specifications

Even though this was my first year racing, it seems to me that I take it more serious than most people. I also race for my school, but next year I am going to try and run the full USASA Lake Superior Div. schedule in addition to the colligate races. It's going to be fun running all over the Midwest next winter.

Speaking of racing, the USASA nationals are going on now at Angel Fire, New Mexico.

The conditions are abysmal. 5% of the mountain is open. They pushed snow onto 4 runs to keep them open for the events. Now those runs are closed for the SL, GS, BX and Slpe Style. So there is very little left to ride on. The competitors are basically sitting at the top of the course waiting for their run and then going in.

Since the races are held on runs not normally used for racing, they are having timing problems.

On the plus side, the super pipe is in very good shape, the GS course was well set and...uh...that's about it for the plus side.

Guest Tom H.

Every Thursday Night. Quickly get your runs in and then it's a race to the bar.

Actually it's a lot of fun, and my company pays for it!!!

They use ski gates but they handicap snowboarders in the overall standings.

oh man, chinese downhill=dangerous stuff, i've seen kids get really messed up playin that game, and yeah a few of the times that kid was me, but shoving people into the woods and running of with someones ski in your hand that you popped off their foot, man is that fun. oh and there are the enormous chinese downhill races, you know like 150+ people, watching those is great, a heard of skiers and snowboarders bombing a hill, wonder what would happen is just one person caught an edge, domino effect would take over. hahahaha good times, good times

Guest Jagger

I don't race the only time I did was about ten years ago it was ok but what I'd really like to try is speed boarding now that would be a rush, anybody know where that goes on?:cool:

Guest Randy S.

Mick,

If you figure it out, let me know. I've got my 210 waxed and ready to run. They ran a speed course at Sun Peaks this season, but wouldn't allow boarders - I know, I called and tried to talk them into it. They do run some speed courses in France this time of year. The problem is you can wait around for weeks just to get the right conditions. I did manage to do a speed run in between SG practice runs at Northstar this season. I only got to 69mph, but it was fun. Next season I want to find a place to break 80 or 90. It needs to be a very smooth run with a long runout. Our SG course was a little chopped up when I ran it and it got squirrely around 65-69mph.

I got my first run through gates this year. Unfortunately I won the sl and gs race I was in so my standing can only get worse from here.

I raced in a Far West competition (actually, not enough competition). There were 3 of us on the gs course and 4 on the sl course. At 40 years old I think I was the youngest so it appears that age won this one.

I am hoping to enter in my local USASA events next season.

Thanks to all the racers who post information on how to suck less.

alan