Note to New Members ×

Any US/CAN made board like the Sigi Cult or Dupraz?

newcarver

Was wondering if anybody made any board similar to these shapes? Look like they would be good tight carvers that would float great. These remind me of the older boards like the original Winterstick. Haven't seen any N. American versions of these that are currently made. Was wondering if there were some boards that I'm missing somewhere. Would love to own one of the boards from EU but man, are they expensive by the time you ship to the US.

Look's like that might be what I have to do. The Prior looks like a softboot specific board? It is pretty wide. I don't have big enough feet for it (26.5M). How does the Cult compare to the D1? They look like they would have similar specs. Will have to look into the new Wintersticks too. I'll have plenty of time to think about it as I've blown my equipment budget for this season.:(

The Prior looks like a softboot specific board? It is pretty wide. I don't have big enough feet for it (26.5M).

I only ride the Spearhead in softies (26 mondo) in the powder, but people on BOL put hardboots on all kinds of boards and rave about them. I would certainly expect it has enough torsional and longitudinal stiffness to handle plates if you ride powder in plates. Specifically, there are several members here who ride the Prior Powstick with plates and the Spearhead is stiffer than the Powstick.

The Spearhead, like the Dupraz, has a short effective edge for its overall length. My 166 will definitely carve on groomers, but if you were going to ride it everywhere as a freeride board, I would get the 172 or 178.

Buell

• 9 months later...

there's a us rep for dupraz now as well. I will have to look but he was posting on one of the other carving boards. considerably cheaper than importing I might say. seems he was advertising them in the 500 range.:lurk: here it is. I asked which models he had available here's the answer.

Hi,

I can get you anyone you want, except for the Safari. The only thing is you will have to wait until the end of November beginning of December, as I have to order the boards from our headquarter in France first. If you give me your request soon enough, I can be sure to get the model you want. Here attached is the picture of our 08/09 collection. The 165cm are 499$ + domestic shipping and the 178 cm are 520 + domestic shipping. This is our discovery price for our first year in the US, so you better take advantage of it while it lasts.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Gabriel Hourcade

Dupraz snowboards

ga.hourcade@gmail.com

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=83cf397a-8129-4a0a-9994-fa1aa25dc9eb&Aux=50|0|8CB0A245CEFB380|

Hi Delaney,

I am sorry about exotic boards not carrying Dupraz. I was the one who initatied this. However my headquarters after thinking it through decided that having an online retailer wouldn't be in their best interest, as Dupraz later on plans to create a special platform on its website especially for North American customers with prices in dollars instead of euros.

As to your question on the topsheets, they are tied to the stiffness. For example, the D1 ++ only comes in the Spirit or Wax topsheet. you should be able to get the boards anywhere between one to three weeks.

Gabriel

Excuse the thread jack but I want to ask a Dupraz related question...

I`ve just picked up an original D1 and did a hike to the snow line to try it out.

I was shocked at the way it turns! It turns much more like a surfboard or a skateboard than any other snowboard I`ve ever ridden.

My question is, HOW? does it turn like it does.

For me, I love it. I would love to find an Alpine board that turned like the D1 does. Technique wise I mean.:1luvu:

I was actually in contact with Serge a couple months ago via e-mail about

getting a demo D1.

After two e-mails about surfing-boarding and my weight, height and style

he vanished and when I e-mailed him twice to see what happened there was no response?

Maybe the exotics guy had noticed some attitude? who Knows? Not Me!

Just picture yourself in the seat of Serge...

He runs a snowboard company full time, organises a banked slalom tour during the winter, goes to every exhibition, is fighting big brands, trying to fight copies ( btw i find the subject of this topic a bit strange and not very honest toward someone's work.. "does someone has copied X...because i want to buy a copy.."), and building a network of retailers worldwide with only a few people helping him... and imagine the number of emails he gets everyday...medias, shops, customers and people wanting demos...There is not many small brands that are so active worldwide with so few people on board...believe me!

knowing how nice guy he is, if he did not answer you its because he is saturated by emails, i guess he has to prioritize with no other choice... Why don't you get in touch with Bola if you are looking for demos instead of dealing with Serge directly?

N.

Excuse the thread jack but I want to ask a Dupraz related question...

I`ve just picked up an original D1 and did a hike to the snow line to try it out.

I was shocked at the way it turns! It turns much more like a surfboard or a skateboard than any other snowboard I`ve ever ridden.

My question is, HOW? does it turn like it does.

For me, I love it. I would love to find an Alpine board that turned like the D1 does. Technique wise I mean.:1luvu:

Well the geometry is very different than what we normally ride. Its the antithesis of the schtubby. ITs a long board with a short effective edge and a very small sidecut radius. the stiffness is concentrated in the tail rather than the center of the board as well. Different ideas = different ride. Thats my .02 anyway.:lurk:

Well the geometry is very different than what we normally ride. Its the antithesis of the schtubby. ITs a long board with a short effective edge and a very small sidecut radius. the stiffness is concentrated in the tail rather than the center of the board as well. Different ideas = different ride. Thats my .02 anyway.:lurk:

The first thought that springs to mind is the Kesslers. Don`t they have comparatively stiffer and straighter tails? Do the Kesslers initiate turns in a way similar to a D1?

Next thought, my guess work about Kesslers is probably way off the mark so ... if you wanted to make an alpine board with turn initiation similar to a D1 does it just need a Radial sidecut and or taper with a stiffer tail and softer between the feet? Is that not the right line of thought?

The SCR on a Kessler gets progressively bigger from the nose to the tail.

The SCR on a Dupraz gets progressively smaller from the nose to the tail.

IMO, the Dupraz initiates turns easily because of the soft nose. It is eager to engage. Then as the small SCR of the tail begins engaging, board hooks-up and the radius of the turn begins to decrease.

The "Dupraz Shape" link on their website gave a good explanation of how the board rode and felt. That link is now dead. :(