Note to New Members ×

Installing Intec heel...PANIC...need help

185er

Well it depends how small. You can adjust how much there is by tweaking the length of the binding... with F2s there's a screw under the front of the binding to do that. So take the boot off, click it in, then tweak the length a little, then check that you can still step in and out. There is always a little play there though, although it should be less than with the trad bindings.

Are you talking about movement between intec heel and boot shell? Or Intec heel and binding receiver? I would say there shouldn't be any movement at all between heel and boot shell. It should be a tight perfect fit. And if it is the other scenario, the post above covers it.

D. :biggthump

It may simply be a matter of tightening the screws until you can't turn them further. At this point, there should not be any movement between the heel and the boot shell but a small (microscopic) amount would not be a problem (the screws are engaged in the inserts so the heels can't go anywhere).

The plastic that the boot shell is molded from will tend to flow slightly and compress over time so it is a good idea to re-tighten the screws periodically. Also, the oscillating stresses of riding will pull the inserts further into the shell and loosen the screws. If the screws start to loosen, they can work themselves enough that they will actually fall out (I was surprised when this first happened to me). If you are riding on less than four screws per heel, you are at risk.

Two last points: take the liners out of the boots to dry them at the end of the day (the screws and inserts can corrode and potentially fail). Also, I have had inserts fail (see my thread called Intec Alert) and it is important to inspect the inserts once in a while to ensure that they aren't started to fracture from fatigue. Don't take chances.

Whether you are using the molded-in inserts or the loose 'T' nuts, I think it is a good idea to replace the 20 mm M5 screws that Intec supplies with 25 mm M5 screws and then install a nut on top of the inserts where the screw threads past the top of the inserts. The additional nut acts as lock-nut to keep the screws from backing out and the nut should retain the screw if the threaded stem of the 'T' nut fractures away from the flange. I think the extra nut should also reduce some of the movement that could cause metal fatigue at the junction between the 'T' nut stem and flange (where my 'T' nuts failed).

The ones that are already in the boots are not T-Nuts. They just smooth edged nuts that are molded into the boot sole. The ones that came with the heels have those sharp edges on them that when hammered into the boot sole and screwed down with the heel screws, provide much better hold. Deeluxe would not tell you to modify their boots due to liability issues. I just did the Tnut install on my 8 year old AF600ts's last year. The stock nuts almost fell out on their own when I went to pop them out.

As for SATISFACTION... Intec, there is no substitute!!! Wouldn't ride any other way!!!

I think I've had this problem before, and I'm pretty sure it's the screw sizes. As I recall the screws are different sizes? The front two are shorter than the rear two?

Am I smoking crack? If so please disregard. :biggthump

Only on the Burton boots. With Deeluxe all 4 bolts are the same length, M5x20mm.

The ones that are already in the boots are not T-Nuts. They just smooth edged nuts that are molded into the boot sole. The ones that came with the heels have those sharp edges on them that when hammered into the boot sole and screwed down with the heel screws, provide much better hold. Deeluxe would not tell you to modify their boots due to liability issues. I just did the Tnut install on my 8 year old AF600ts's last year. The stock nuts almost fell out on their own when I went to pop them out.

As for SATISFACTION... Intec, there is no substitute!!! Wouldn't ride any other way!!!

It really depends on the boots my Raichle 413's have Tnuts with spikes on them. I knocked one out, when I was installing my intec's, and saw that they were the same as what came in the kit except for color and put it back in my boot. As for satisfaction....absolutely I will never go back to toe clips

If you have the Indy's some time put the new longer T-nuts in. They are much saver. Also use the longer screws that came with the Intec heels.

There mustn't be absolutely no play between the boots and the heels. Especially when you have installed them correctly. If you look into your boots you can see the screws are almost coming above the T-nuts/or are equally under the topedge of the T-nuts. I have absolutely no play with my new Track 700 T (same shell). In fact the Intec heels are some what bigger (1/4mm) than the boot.

Do have play/movement with both boots?

post-105-141842244936_thumb.jpg

then install a nut on top of the inserts where the screw threads past the top of the inserts.

Not sure if I'm understanding what you're suggesting, but in every pair of boots I've owned and put intec heels on, the t-nuts were flush with the floor of the boot. Any longer additional bolt/nut would protrude into the footbed area...

totally unnecessary, imo. Install them correctly from the start using quality hardware = no problem

and yes, perfectly happy with intec.

Any longer additional bolt/nut would protrude into the footbed area....

Can't be the case in the Track 700 because the T-Nuts are 1 cm under the integrated plastic hardfootbedsole of the boot. So the screws have some place to go above the T-nuts. Mine are just under/equally to the level of the ending of the T-nuts edges.

Hey hey, I just put Intec on my Indy. When I move my leg (boot), there is a super small mouvement between the hell and the boot. Is that normal ?
No. Lack of proper preload is the number one root cause of fastener failure. Translation - if the heel moves, that means the bolts are not tight; hence, you are more likely to experience bolt failure. Bolt failure = bad

Can't be the case in the Track 700 because the T-Nuts are 1 cm under the integrated plastic hardfootbedsole of the boot. So the screws have some place to go above the T-nuts. Mine are just under/equally to the level of the ending of the T-nuts edges.

Maybe suzukas were like that too and I've just forgotten. Still seems like overkill but better safe than sorry I guess.

• 1 month later...
What about Intec on Head Stratos Pro? Same as Deeluxe?

Do we have to set up the T-nuts provided with the Intec Heels or can I fix the screws directly? If not, with what kind of tool do you take those off?

No manual in the box...

They work just fine for me in the Heads with the built-in "T-Nuts". I've heard of people having trouble getting the screws out of the built in ones sometimes so you might want to replace them. I think Lonerider did that recently, you might ping him to see how they come out. I suspect you could just put a screw into the nut from the bottom and then bang on it with a hammer, but I'm not sure.