Note to New Members ×

Season Ending Crash For cfj04

Thor VonRippington

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely shaped calf CJ... no cankles there!

The run is Corona Way and it's marked as a BLUE run on the map!!! How embarrassed am I? Not very... it's still a flat service road. It must be blue because it's narrow and "technical".. eh CJ? :eplus2:

mopoet - It's where Edelweiss, Bluebell, and Roundhouse meet at the bottom of the Sunnyside lift. You know... the long flat road that goes to the Jane base.

paragon - Yep.. I was begging him to get the hell off the mountain. I remember him saying "but I'm not done yet". After the wind about blew us out of the chair and the lift stopped for the gazillionth time because the place was filled with wanks, he finally agreed and we were headed to the car.

So it's all my fault!! His wax was too fast and I called "last run". :ices_ange

It is now" I think i'll take a break now", which could be as short as 5 minutes or as long as a week. What's goin' on with the co gang? way too many ambulance rides already this season and we still have 5 more months? heal well curtis, and I hope you enjoyed the ride down, mine was nice, I didn't have to deal with any traffic.

mario

So the truth finally comes out. Notice how Mario, snowman and I all have have hospital stays. Common thread - we all ride with Thor

Notice how Thor wrote that he was "right behind me" -definition - he pushed me

Thor's initial statememt - it was a green run - now the story changes. Not only is it a blue run but I think Thor is starting to feel blue for hiding the truth.

I do remember him saying last run. He also said "I'll bet I can get to the car before you" and something about "take no prisoners".

:smashfrea ;) :biggthump:boxing_sm :lol: :confused:

Bryan,

I'm curious as well

Thor - now you're retracting your statement. Another sign of guilt

:flamethro

For everyone else - it was all my bad luck. Thor was awesome with helping get me off the mountain, checking out the hot nurse in the ER and gathering up all my gear while I wisked off to Denver for surgery

Thanks Thor!!!

Sorry man, hope you have a fast recovery and some good people to take care of you.

On the bright side, you only broke a bone, and once it heals it's stronger than before with no lasting effects, unlike blowing out a knee.

My season last year ended with a below cuff tib/fib fracture. On a green. Aside from what the doctors have already told you, hereare some tips I picked up:

1. Really work on keeping your leg elevated above your heart for the first couple weeks - it helps the swelling an incredible amount.

2. Don't let them put you in a hard cast, rather get a removable boot. You have hardware in so the support of a cast isn't required, and it's pure joy removing the boot at the end of the day.

2a. If you get a removable boot, take it off every day and practice moving your ankle around. It will help keep your range of motion and reduce your total recovery time and PT.

3. Do not take Aleve for the first 6 weeks. There's research suggesting a connection between naproxen and non-union in bone fractures.

4. Get on eBay and purchase a Smith Nephew Exogen ultrasound. It will cost about $150 to $200. You use it once a day for 20 minutes and it's been clinically shown to reduce the healing time for bone fractures between a fifth and a third. Your doctor won't prescribe it since insurance doesn't cover it unless it's used to treat a non-union.

Sleeping on the couch again - at least this time for a good reason

:biggthump

Thanks for the insight and the equipment knowledge. I have freinds in

the ortho business. I'll check with them but either way - I'm buying one

Hollinator is feeding me margs - gotta go

Curtis - sorry you hear about your break. The x-ray says a lot. Interesting that they decided not to fix the fibula. Myabe it's like a collar bone brake on a bike accident - painful but not dangerous.

Glad to hear the accident wasn't on that rocket board you bought from me.

Heal well.

Curtis,

Ouch! As a fellow leg breaker I can understand. Good news is you'll be back 100% faster then you know it.

I think Michelle has already contacted you about the SES, so let us know what your plan is and we'll do it. I am thinking "Lazy-Boy" chair at the demo tent with 4 cup holders and a PA system for 7 days. And the chair has a built in bed-pan. Oh, the wackyness :p

From all at Bomber, mend well.

Oh Curtis! Man, we are so sorry to hear about you injury! We wish you all the very best and hope that your recovery will be fast and hope to see you on your board soon again.

Hope to see you guys in Aspen! Some good organized après-ski would be seriously needed.

Best,

Ray

How about a beer hat (the one with the holder for two cans plus staws) on the top. That way I can have tubes running in and out of me.

Since I plan on judging for retro day, this would also provide plenty of opportunity for bribes to be poured into the hat. Better than the tip jar option lower down.

metal dectedtors work on magnetic metals, titanium aint

It doesn't matter if the metal is magnetic or not, a metal detector will pick it up either way. What matters is whether or not the material conducts electricity, not whether it's magnetic. All metals conduct electricity. (to varying degrees.) so they will be picked up by a metal detector. I could go into boring detail about how it works, but I'm getting a bit hungry right about now, so..............

later,

Dave R.

Just had that in April, and it compartmentalized, fun stuff...

but, to add to Zoltan's advice

Before you leave the hospital (if you haven't already), ask for a prescription of Lovenox (you won't need any Aleve or aspirin - same thing). It's to counteract the possibility of getting DVT (Deep vein thrombosis), which could lead to a pulmonary embolism, or other complications. You'll probably want to have it for two weeks or so since you'll be immobile for a while, which isn't good. Your orthopaedic doctor probably won't prescribe it to you and will probably just try to load you up on aspirin instead, which is a poor substitute. Ortho docs don't know anything about follow up primary care... The other doctors like to call them highly specialized and skilled carpenters. They're good at what they do, but don't ask for anything beyond that.

And about bone stimulator units, it also depends on the region of your fracture, if it's a spiral fracture and goes up and down your tibia, it's not quite as helpful since it can only focus on a small region.

Oh, and one last one, if you're still on morphine, one of the side effects is that it makes it REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to urinate. So, unless you want things going up that little tiny hole, I'd lay off of that little button and try to get some oxycodon and/or vicodin instead. :biggthump

Well, good luck and speedy recovery to you.

Bullwings,

Thanks for the added information and sorry to hear of your mishap.

Regarding any meds - knock on wood - I'm on zero. No pain meds - no thining agents - no aspirin. I am icing and keeping the leg elevated and so far so good. I didn't try to tough it out regarding the pain meds but I never was in to much pain and I know what they can do to your system even when on them for a short period of time. I was lucky in that I was released from the hospital less than 24 hours after surgery since I was not in painbecasue of the low pain

Way to go ebay!! - I just won a bone stim unit that zoltan referrenced and even if it doesn't help - it can't hurt. If nothing else, it will give me a 20 minute project to do each day. Does anyone know if I use it on each break for 20 minutes or just on the major break?

Finally, how was your recovery - once you got to a weight bearing stage do things move quickly or slowly?

Curtis

Nice job on the pain meds!

If the breaks are more than about 4 inches apart, do a 20 minute session on each one, but the tibia is the important one. I drew a crosshair over the break to make positioning it easier from day to day. There's also new research showing those ultrasounds treatments help reduce swelling as well, so I kept mine to use on any future injuries :rolleyes:.

Things get better once you're weight bearing because you can start strengthening your muscles and, mentally, you're in a much better place. The danger is your leg will feel much better than it is, and you run the danger of hurting or even rebreaking it if you get too rambunctious or impact load the leg. Personally I found I was able to transition to a cane and then to unassissted walking much, much faster than schedule - we're talking 2 weeks instead of 4.