Note to New Members ×

warning: metal priors

bobdea

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode today at WhiteTail. It was once again, fabulous (was not expecting it to be any good, with a Rain Forecast and probable large crowds). There was no crowd, No lift lines and no rain. Great carving conditions. At multiple points the ski patrol joked about my board and 'running radar' on me. I think this is because it stands (shines ) out.

Rode with BadBrad on Saturday for some runs, he turns some really great tight curves on his board. Also saw Zoe. No Hardbooters today, except me.

Rich S.

Rode today at WhiteTail. It was once again, fabulous (was not expecting it to be any good, with a Rain Forecast and probable large crowds). There was no crowd, No lift lines and no rain. Great carving conditions. At multiple points the ski patrol joked about my board and 'running radar' on me. I think this is because it stands (shines ) out.

Rode with BradBrad on Saturday for some, runs, he turns some really great tight curves on his board. Also saw Zoe. No Hardbooters today, except me.

Rich S.

Rich, sounds like a great day on Sunday. It was nice meeting you and your daughter on Saturday and talking with you on the lift. That's not her in the photo above, is it? (Hard to tell for sure since she had helmet and goggles on.) You make some great carves, especially since you've only been on hard boots for a couple of years. I guess that's what happens when you get to ride more than a few days per season.

I went over to the advanced terrain for a couple of runs. They had Exhibition open and it wasn't all bumped up yet, so I did that a couple of times. By noon the place had gotten more crowded than I like so I went to the bunny slopes to practice riding backwards before going home. I looked and felt like a beginner again. I fell harder doing that than I ever do on the steeps -- bruised my left tricep which is really sore today.

Rich, sounds like a great day on Sunday. It was nice meeting you and your daughter on Saturday and talking with you on the lift. That's not her in the photo above, is it? (Hard to tell for sure since she had helmet and goggles on.) You make some great carves, especially since you've only been on hard boots for a couple of years. I guess that's what happens when you get to ride more than a few days per season.

I went over to the advanced terrain for a couple of runs. They had Exhibition open and it wasn't all bumped up yet, so I did that a couple of times. By noon the place had gotten more crowded than I like so I went to the bunny slopes to practice riding backwards before going home. I looked and felt like a beginner again. I fell harder doing that than I ever do on the steeps -- bruised my left tricep which is really sore today.

Yes thats Georgia in the reflection picture. And yes I am still in the early fanatical stage where I go as often as I possibly can. It does seem to be paying off though. Sunday was the first time that I could carve coming down limelight on my WCR. I stayed on it until 2, when I switched over to my Nidecker. Than I wished that I hadn't switched at all. I have ridden the WCR long enough to instantly feel the stability and smoothness it adds to the carve. The Nidecker (non carving board) chatters and just lacks the feel of the WCR - which is what I expected but am only now being able to really feel. I can turn the Nidecker on a dime but it does not feel anything like the WCR.

The WCR is grin producing machine.!

Going backwards BACKWARDS!! Ok thats still a ways off for me.

Rich S.

• 2 weeks later...

From the ticket scanner and sidekick today at WhiteTail (unsolicitied)

"That is the wickedest board on the mountain...period"

Still waiting for a package of decals from Prior, at which point I will strip off the old ones, and lay out a new format.

Rode with Boardman73 and BadBrad today at WT. It was fantastic for the first 2 1/2 hours. Boardman73 rocks by the way, talk about fast and super low carves!..... Layed a trench that would have swallowed an entire ski class.

Rich S.

Still waiting for a package of decals from Prior, at which point I will strip off the old ones, and lay out a new format.

Rode with Boardman73 and BadBrad today at WT. It was fantastic for the first 2 1/2 hours. Boardman73 rocks by the way, talk about fast and super low carves!..... Layed a trench that would have swallowed an entire ski class.

Rich S.

thanx for the kind words rich:cool: it was great to ride w/ you and brad today! and yes that is one fine lookin board my friend:biggthump

Last weekend I was at June Mountain Saturday, Mammoth on Sunday.

The jibbers at June where all over it, "That's the sickest deck I've ever seen", "That's F#*%'n bad-ass dude" were pretty much the jist of it.

Rode with a Rocket Scientist in softies most of the day on Saturday, running hot laps, grooming was immaculate, no crowds or lines to speak of. The WCR is simply the rock stediest ride I can imagine, it has really amped my riding.

Sunday at Mammoth was dissappointing, grooming was rude, and for $80? I did find some runs to let loose on but the criss cross layout made for a busy day of rubber necking. To top it off, a gomer in the lift line, skis right up on the deck, trashing my decal work. :mad: He obviously couldn't read, but his eyes got big, and very apolagetic, when I threatened him with some cosmetic surgery of my own.

Well it's broke in now.

Sitting in Truckee at the moment, looking to ride here the next two weekends.

Al

sounds like you guys are heatin' "Tail up!

Rich, now I gotta see this board of yours...I got custom graphics on mine, but it's not a mirror like yours!

will be at roundtop tomorrow...perhaps tail on MOnday, i have a feeling it'll be packed though...

Rich S.

hey rich thanx to you i now suffer from a severe case of board envy:angryfire

DiveBomber, very nice! The last 4 days the comment factor has gone thru the roof. I think this is because it has been really cold here in PA and the snow has been sliding off the board. So people stop to admire their own reflections, other people ask what the board is for etc.. It is a real people stopper now. Especially in a lift line of any size where lots of skiers get a chance to see it. My standard response "you looked at my board? thats 5$".

What is that board? I don't see the Prior Graphic so either you took it off or this is not a WCR?

Rich S.

Well I realize that I am keeping this going, but is it really possible to get shinier than my board??? If so I am very interested in seeing that. My board looks pretty close to mirror perfect. Obviously I think it is probably impossible to resolve the titanol vs stainless shinyness argument unless they were both side by side. Or unless we have a professional detailer who knows which one has the highest potential shine.

In the meantime, I took a picture of my board, no flash in my front hall, as is. You will note that thats me in the picture reflected back in the board taking the picture. (sorry about the scowl - who knew I looked that hideous when taking a picture?) You can also see a double reflection in the curve of the board. Again natural indoor light, me holding the camera (some shake in there too). I have taken the original decals off and am going to put something custom back, still deciding on that. I am also going to Aspen and will happily submit my board to a pier side by side inspection with any other board.

So at least temporarily Titanol WCR Metal Rules! (at least until the next post)

Rich S.

post-3842-141842248024_thumb.jpg

I have lot of things polished, Ti, stainless and aluminum. 7000 grade alu does polished the brightest of all alu's which is what Titanal is (such a stupid name since it has no Ti in it, great marketing ploy however). But stainless is the clear winner. Its all about hardness, Steel is harder than Alu, and stainless obviously doesnt corrode. Stainless is about as close to chrome as you're going to get.

I might get an Alu board and do the same, though if its a tomahawk it might be covered:(