cause you're the most railing sons-a-bitch I've ever seen

but call me alowishus devadander abercrombie

Thats long for mud so Ive been told

We had our words, a common spat

So I kissed him upside the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat

the name is MUD

:biggthump

Mmmmmmm...... Primus rocks!!!!:biggthump

BadBrad - I am working on this too, I spent thursday practicing this at Hunter Mtn--I think I saw the carvefather there, but didn't manage to catch up with him. My runs ranged from moderately successful (get down in style, if not in total confidence) to utter failure (I took a lot of small low-speed falls, and one huge wreck).

It didn't help that the run I was practicing on was bumpy as hell, but I found that as long as I was low enough I could absorb the little bumps and that I just had to try and carve around the big ones.

I didn't have much problem starting my turns out with the downhill edge while traversing across the slope - at least not early on in the run it - got a little scarier to do that as I added speed.

I think most of my problems fall under the "balls" category, particularly with my bum knee (on my leading leg). Once I got picking up speed I was not as good about getting my downhill edge engaged before I started my descent through the turn, which of course, contributed to even greater speed. So my runs would start out really strong, with linked turns that all ended with me moving slightly uphill and transitioning into the downhill edge but as I gained speed my turns lost their s-shape and the speed took over, with me being afraid to push them back into a tighter radius.

I think my biggest problems with this are:

- I tend to start looking down at the fall line at the most critical time - when I need to bleed speed and go uphill some. Once I start looking down the fall line everything seems to fall apart. Definitely a balls-related problem.

- I'm probably not pressuring the nose enough throughout my turns. (thanks trailertrash).

I think I just need more days on the snow. Right now I'm riding an FC II 175 with an 11.75 SCR. Some of the runs at hunter are pretty narrow, so next time I go, I may bring my Ride Kildy but I'm trying to stick to one board for now while I get back up on my feet.

Queen, Im sure you did see the Carvefather there. He seems to live there lately.

Catch up with him and when you do tell him you want to be Jaws. I know that sounds weird but its what he called me when I first started riding alpine in 2002. It stood for Just Add Water Snowboarder :D

See me being a multi sport guy I expected to be good at carving my first season and was Very hard on my self. He would say, your way too hard on your self, you think you can just add water and be good at this?? and I would say, well yeah I expect to be good.

I have to thank him and TonyZ for my relative quick progression.

OK, Where am I going with this??? He is a great teacher and loves to see people progress as a result of his instruction.

So get with him and use Code word JAWS, expect some major break throughs either that day or the next but be ready to work Hard :eplus2:

Maybe we can plan a small session at Jimminy during the week so we can have a trail or 2 just to us and you can really focus on some things.

With a little instruction, determination and hard work you will get there.

Play follow the leader with the fastest guy on the mountain. Believe me, you'll find a way to carve, control, and dice down that mountain. Long ago, this meant following around some guy on GS skis. Now there are plenty of fast carvers all over the World.

Also. . . pick up some speed on the greens. If you can lay out nice carves on green trails, you've got the technique. Now try the same without "speed loss". Point it down hill more and drive off of your turns and keep pushing down hill. Stay far away from others.

Also. . . pick up some speed on the greens. If you can lay out nice carves on green trails, you've got the technique.

I can rail on the greens and easier blues - I just start to lose it when things get steeper. I think I just begin to lose my nerve (and my knee begins to hurt).

Queen, Im sure you did see the Carvefather there. ... I expected to be good at carving my first season and was Very hard on my self. He would say, your way too hard on your self, you think you can just add water and be good at this?? and I would say, well yeah I expect to be good. ... He is a great teacher and loves to see people progress as a result of his instruction.

Queen? Who's a queen?? I'm a bald maritime harpoonist covered from head to toe in tattoo.

Ok I'm definitely going to look up the carvefather him up next time I am there. I don't mind hard work (or getting worked hard, as it may be). The ski-bus takes frequent trips to hunter, so I will try to grab him next time I'm there. ... Its frustrating, 2.2 - 3 years off the mountain, and it feels like I'm starting all over again (I actually started when I was eleven, and started riding plates when I was about 18. I'm 32 now but this is my first (real) season in 2/3 years, with the exception of two days last year). So I want to be as good as I was when I stopped riding, but it's been awhile and while I can still rail some great turns, putting it all together and keeping it all together is another thing. So yeah ... I don't think you can get more JAWS-mentality than me right now. I saw his board in the lodge, a short blue AM board (F2?) with TD2's and saw him riding down a few times, he looked super solid and clean. I'll carry some post-its and write my cell on them next time so I can stick them on any carving decks I see.

. . . You may just be poking around up and over "optimal speed". Regardless of whether you're driving a tricycle, moutain bike, 1300 cc Harley or a pogo stick, every vehicle seems to have "optimal speed" for every set of conditions. I know everybody likes to talk about teary eyes and playing blowfish with your mouth going mach 10 in total control but once you go over "opitmal" speed in any vehicle, control is difficult to maintain. When it's steep and FAST, I don't think anybody has as much precision in their turns as when they do in predictable wide blue trails. Vision also plays a big role . . going fast and steep, little changes in your fall line can make a big difference. All things being the same, the shorter your board, the more you have to stay on top and adjust to changes in terrain. The longer the board, the more you can sit back and just charge over little variations. I don't know . . .it's just a thought.

Being able to do it on the green and blue is a great step but the steeps will amplify the flaws in your technique. You think you got it together on that nice wide blue then it all comes apart on the narrow steep. I totally know what you mean.

Carvefather aka Ron rides a Nidecker Proto with Bombers. He always has his cell because he cant stop talking, so leave him a post-it, he will call you.

Ok guys, Heres the deal from one of the best who passed away this last summer. He taught himself in Sun Valley. Can you say steep? (Exibition) One of the most demanding mountains in the US. He got me on alpine on Baldy and told me not to surf. He said that carving is for the groomers that a skier would be bored to death with. I have banged all the bumps I need to see for the rest of my life. Making wide turns on the blue and blue/black runs is just fine for the duration! I'm old and plan on doing this for many more years. Can you say Buttermilk!!!

Play follow the leader with the fastest guy on the mountain. Believe me, you'll find a way to carve, control, and dice down that mountain. Long ago, this meant following around some guy on GS skis. Now there are plenty of fast carvers all over the World.

This is a reckless way to learn.....I don't want to be the guy you hit, because you were riding "in over your head".

Also. . . pick up some speed on the greens. If you can lay out nice carves on green trails, you've got the technique. Now try the same without "speed loss". Point it down hill more and drive off of your turns and keep pushing down hill. Stay far away from others.

I love the greens for learning, and so does everyone else. It's not the place to be pointing it down the hill. May I suggest instead, find an intermediate trail and try to follow a slow rider or skier, but concentrate on not going past them by making full carving turns. It will improve your patience, and your control, something that will benefit you greatly on steeper terrain. After all that was the original intent of this thread, right?

You may just be poking around up and over "optimal speed".

I like this opinion much better...much closer to the problem at hand:)

I really wish I was riding instead of sitting at work all weekend.

As you get on steeper terrain every time that board hits the fall line you are going to accelerate at a faster rate and the turns will get longer but being on a 164 you should be able to get it around without running out of room. You are right about needing higher edge angles etc. What I find to be very helpfull on the steeps is trying to bring the turn up hill a little and having some very aggressive but smooth transitions allowing the board to get out away from you as far as possible with a lot of extension and letting it carve back under you as it has little pressure on it and then loading it up as it finds the fall line and looking well into the turn as the board comes under and then up the hill slightly. And then repeat. It's cool how committed you have to be as the board will just come under you just before your body hits the snow holding you up but laid way out.

Another thing that can be of help to me is to squeeze my knees together to decamber the board more and tighten up the turn. But that comment may start a controversy. Steeps are way fun!!

Telluride has some incredible steeps but unfortunately the grooming can be pretty poor.But when they get it right.... oh my God.

The run in this image is ranges from 35 to 50 degrees. Carving it definitely taxes the legs. What this photo demonstrates is that you using a push pull motion with your legs, you can bleed speed at the first third of the turn so that the forces are not so extreme when your body swings around. By the time your board is parallel to the fall line, begin to pull your knees in.

Anyhow, this photo starts to show what David spoke of in the previous post.

post-3169-141842244333_thumb.jpg

I say crank it up in the transition!! if you dont, be prepared to drift, slide, and wash out. The steeper the run is, the higher you need to crank the board durring the edge switch. ohh and make sure you point uphill too! and bring some pain relievers and a girl who doesnt mind massaging your sore thighs;)

Ok guys, Heres the deal from one of the best who passed away this last summer. He taught himself in Sun Valley. Can you say steep? (Exibition) One of the most demanding mountains in the US. He got me on alpine on Baldy and told me not to surf. He said that carving is for the groomers that a skier would be bored to death with. I have banged all the bumps I need to see for the rest of my life. Making wide turns on the blue and blue/black runs is just fine for the duration! I'm old and plan on doing this for many more years. Can you say Buttermilk!!!

Interesting you mention SV. When I see other carving hills they mostly look flat to me. When I carve hard on "green" runs I loose too much speed and it doesn't work so good. Give me some vert, give me some pitch and then let her rip. Upper Greyhawk and Greyhawk itself will tune you up real good if you want some steeps.

Exhibition is still my favorite bump run. Actually a perfect bump lap is Christmas Bowl down to the cat road to Seattle, then jump off to Inhibition, Cold Springs chair up to Roundhouse slope then drop into Exhibition down to Lookout chair. Wee ha that's what I'm talking about.

T-ride does have some killer groomed steeps. You can run at milk run, coon dog, the plunge, and bushwacker. One of these is always groomed and will be great if there is adequate coverage. All of these are single blacks and are really steep and wide. I think milk is where they do most of their SL races at. Lots of good blue runs too. I think lookout would be a good run too. It is a steep double blue that is always groomed. It is not very wide at the top though. I hope to be able to carve on these runs one day, but I've had a ton of fun on them with my softboots before.

T-ride does have some killer groomed steeps. You can run at milk run, coon dog, the plunge, and bushwacker. One of these is always groomed and will be great if there is adequate coverage. All of these are single blacks and are really steep and wide. I think milk is where they do most of their SL races at. Lots of good blue runs too. I think lookout would be a good run too. It is a steep double blue that is always groomed. It is not very wide at the top though. I hope to be able to carve on these runs one day, but I've had a ton of fun on them with my softboots before.

The snowboard races have been moved to the nastar because of poor rider turnout. Milk run was, is .sick. We use to have GS there also and started from the top down through the milk farm and around the corner and down the next little pitch stopping in the finish area by the timing shed. Pretty good length. They have collegiate ski races there now. People love the venue.

We will have our first usasa races here on Jan.6th I believe. It's a Sunday and I think the gs and slalom will be the same day. The turn out last year was only less than 20 kids only one or two race boards. If you are trying to get to nationals it's an easier way in. The second race is one or two weeks later. I could confirm the dates if anyone was interested.

New carver lets try to hook up this year 970-728-3433

• 2 weeks later...

bump for some sick steeper carving footage at Zinal

reaturing a coupla 67 yr old geezers ripping at 2:05

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTGaQcuxfP0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTGaQcuxfP0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>