Note to New Members ×

facebook.com

LeeW

even created a small extremecarving group there :)

In france facebook has become a classy/blue blood family gathering and people take it first degree its impressive.... lack of humor etc...

Funny groups can be found easily thu such as:

" Foundation for the protection of Swedish underwear models"..and there is bunch of cool other funny stuff..

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/view_cause/4913?recruiter_id=10647572&h=plw

I read a paper somewhere that said people in London started to shut their profiles because companies were searching their name on facebook before hiring them...

I'm sticking to 2d degree and dont care for bosses ;)

Nils

I've been on it for several years now and one of my friend's applications just hit 5million people!

Just some words of caution/note:

1) You don't have to be in college anymore to be on facebook- anyone can be on it.

2) You can restrict privacy settings on your profile so that people can't search for you and then see your profile- just your profile picture (and you can even make that part private too). [A friend I went to school with in the fourth grade in Germany found me which was amazing!]

3) Right now its still the cleaner version of myspace. I found these links last night: http://mycrimespace.com/ and one called The Dead Kids of Myspace. (It has a reputation of being a place for pedophiles, etc)

4) Before facebook went public and was just for college students one way of thinking of it was as a Rolodex for your contacts that self-updates. The nice part about it is that for your acquaintances you don't need to run after them and make shallow conversation to get their updated contact information if you think they would be a person whose contact info you should have for some reason. It was originally designed as a networking tool for the Ivy League.

5) When you add yourself to groups you make at the very least your name and profile picture visible to anyone visiting that group and this is how the sketchy people have figured out facebook stalking. That being said, as long as you don't do anything sexplicit you probably wouldn't be bothered. Plus you guys aren't twelve.

The Hardbooting links that I have found so far:

The EC Group from Nils: http://brandeis.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14648450553

and a Hardbooters Unite! Group:

http://brandeis.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2246721134

I have a facebook...I hardly use it though. I check my account maybe once a month or so, but that's about it. I joined up when it was still a college tool where we could use the mailbox to hand in papers to our professors, check homework, and stuff like that...facebook turned to crap as soon as google realized they could make money on it.

I have a facebook...I hardly use it though. I check my account maybe once a month or so, but that's about it. I joined up when it was still a college tool where we could use the mailbox to hand in papers to our professors, check homework, and stuff like that...facebook turned to crap as soon as google realized they could make money on it.

im w you justin, i never use mine either... i don't even know why i have it! :confused:

Yeah, I'm on it. Got on this summer, around June, got hooked pretty bad. Then I discovered flickr and started getting into photography a few months later....which explains my absence from BOL and to a lesser degree Facebook. :)

Just got the invite from Derf for the BOL/FB group. Thanks Derf !

One important thing to keep in mind is that once a person sends you a Friend Request (an invite for you and them to become friends), they are able to see your profile, even if you haven't accepted their friend request. Last I remember, Facebook tells the requester that they'll be able to see your profile for up to 30 days or so. IMO, this is a major flaw. If you have your profile privacy set so that only your friends can see it, then only confirmed friends should be able to see it, not pending friends.

I think the best thing about Facebook, what makes it really special, is that it provides us with several ways for us to express ourselves quickly and effectively. Results in faster communication of ideas and thoughts.

'later...

Angie: Thanks for adding the FB group - Fun Stuff!

FYI - Your profile has been restricted to the public, (as it probably should be :biggthump )

so clicking on your profile does not provide a link to the FB-Bomber Group.

Here's the direct link -"Bomber Carving Community " on Facebook.

But I am already at the Bomber Carving Community. I guess I am fuddy as IN duddy, But I really don't get the face book thing at all.

One important thing to keep in mind is that once a person sends you a Friend Request (an invite for you and them to become friends), they are able to see your profile, even if you haven't accepted their friend request. Last I remember, Facebook tells the requester that they'll be able to see your profile for up to 30 days or so. IMO, this is a major flaw. If you have your profile privacy set so that only your friends can see it, then only confirmed friends should be able to see it, not pending friends.

'later...

I'm pretty sure thats backwards.. if you request to be friends with someone, they are able to see your profile, however, you cannot see theirs until they have accepted.

oh yea, and I'll go join that group.

Same thing with sending a message I think. If you send a message to someone they will be able to see your limited profile for thirty days (and you can adjust the privacy settings so they cant see everything) but you won't be able to see their profile until they respond to your message.