Note to New Members ×

Just getting this off my chest

skategoat

you people desperately need snow.

I have a bad back and can't snowboard which is why my post count is reaching D-Sub-ian proportions.

To continue, how about people who use "myself" all the time when they really should just be saying "me"?

"When is the word myself used?"

The word myself is known as a reflexive pronoun. Firstly, when should we not use the word?

Myself should not be used as a substitute for the personal object pronoun me. This is a common mistake, as in the following example:

They gave presents to my brother and myself.

The correct form is:

They gave presents to my brother and me.

So, when should you use the word? The golden rule is that you should only use myself if the word I comes before it in the same sentence. When this is the case, the word is used in the following situations:

Firstly, when the subject and object of the sentence are the same:

I know myself.

I saw myself in the mirror.

Secondly, when you want to emphasise, or call more attention to the subject of the sentence:

I did the job myself. (Nobody helped me).

I ate all the cake myself. (Nobody else ate any).

The use of the other reflexive pronouns yourself, himself, herself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves in relation to their subject and object pronouns is the same.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one that seems to be local to where I grew up...

"I went acrossed the road."

Somehow "across the road" and "crossed the road" have been confused.

did you grow up with these guys ??

http://www.fubar-themovie.com/title_page.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/trailers-screenplay-E16322-310

terry & dean ! the new bob & doug, eh ?

did you grow up with these guys ??

http://www.fubar-themovie.com/title_page.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/trailers-screenplay-E16322-310

terry & dean ! the new bob & doug, eh ?

That is such a good movie. Reminded me of my high school years - running the gauntlet through the smoking area after Computer Club. Terry and Dean were there every day.

Then there is the whole Eubonics thing. I spent a summer in Baltimore in my youth and I was amused every day by stuff like "Mind if I axe you somethin?" and "Woman! Can't you see I'm conversatin' with the man?"

This one drives me crazy - listen carefully (even not carefully) and you will find it is EVERYWHERE.

"There's two of them" instead of "There ARE two of them".

No need to elaborate I hope. (contraction of "there is")

Sportscasters say "There's two out" all the time.

Emmitt Smith on ESPN can't get his singular and plural correct to save his life.

Related: "We was there", "Me and him was just leaving".

:barf:

"There's" is one that doesn't really bother me for some reason. I guess it just seems like a better contraction than trying to contract "there" and "are." (There're???)

When people use "I got" instead of "I have" is pretty annoying.

But one of the most annoying is the use of the word "seen."

"I seen it yesterday." Blagh!

This one drives me crazy - listen carefully (even not carefully) and you will find it is EVERYWHERE.

"There's two of them" instead of "There ARE two of them".

No need to elaborate I hope. (contraction of "there is")

Sportscasters say "There's two out" all the time.

Emmitt Smith on ESPN can't get fis singular and plural correct to save his life.

Related: "We was there", "Me and him was just leaving".

:barf:

You want to talk irritating sportscasters, there's a local one here who does play-by-play for the Maple Leafs. At least 20 times a game, he says "off of", as in "he shoots it off of the boards" or "the puck went off of the post". Drives me nuts. There is no reason for to add the "of" after "off".

Ex-jocks, I can tolerate their poor grammar. They probably didn't spend a lot of time in class unless they went to Stanford. But a professional sports broadcaster - no excuse.

"Me and him was just leaving".

Heh, the one that kills me is when people learn that they should say "Jim and I went to the store" instead of "Me and Jim went to the store," and then they think it always, always, always needs to be "Jim and I".

So I'll say something like: "Oh yeah, that happened to Jim and me."

Then they say: "Jim and I"

Then I say: "Actually, no, it's 'Jim and me'".

Then we have a big argument.

Heh, the one that kills me is when people learn that they should say "Jim and I went to the store" instead of "Me and Jim went to the store," and then they think it always, always, always needs to be "Jim and I".

So I'll say something like: "Oh yeah, that happened to Jim and me."

Then they say: "Jim and I"

Then I say: "Actually, no, it's 'Jim and me'".

Then we have a big argument.

Guess that's better than having an argumint...or worse, and argamint. You can always come back with "I and I went to the store......mon."

"gimme a quick second" as if......one could shorten the length of an actual second in time :rolleyes:

Man, I could use those "quick seconds" in a race now and then!

Willy, you ever been "up down Suncook" in New Hampshire?

Gotta (I know, I know) love those colloquialisms...time to go shovel out my dooryard!

can't let that slip by unnoticed

Definitions of dooryard on the Web:

* the front yard or driveway area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_accent

they did a good job in "Gone Baby Gone" with stuff like:

'Cause from what I've heard, the guys that get sent up Concord for killing kids..."

my buddy sully is a grammar butcher.Over a week in OBX last spring I tried and failed with " the rain in spain....." lessons whilst getting all pie eyed at night.

" he says to me, he says......." :smashfrea freakin' guy !

fin said "irregardless" but I can't seem to find that ben affleck skit on SNL that I posted for Ais way back....."Irrrrrr reeeee gaaaaad liss !" classic :biggthump