Note to New Members ×

Did I just get screwed?

John Bell

I just paid $195 (including shipping) for a used pair of TD1s on eBay. I got caught up in the final bidding, I guess. Seems a bit high. Did I get screwed? You can be honest. I'll still be excited at being 2/3 of the way into an alpine setup.

--John

Did you get screwed? Only if the bindings turn out not be be as described. Did you overbid? IMHO, yes. eBay can be dangerous...

Yeah, you may have paid too much for your bindings (I got a great deal on mine here) but I also have a Donek FC 1 that is a good length for me that I jumped on way too quickly, it has a tiny waist that I will probably never be able to ride (I wear a mondo 30.5 boot). Just waiting to take some pics and put it back up for sale. We all make mistakes gearing up, $50 over cost is pretty small in the big picture. Just get out there and ride them.

Thanks for the words of reassurance, guys! :biggthump Helps me keep it in perspective. Yeah, fitty bucks ain't a whole lot, all things considered. I'm still chomping at the bit to get on the slope with the alpine setup, once I get a board.

Thanks to Bob as well for the warning about metal boards!

I would think that some of what's been going on with ebay is due to shill bidding,but I guess even if it is ,buyers are being lured into bidding wars and deserve the lessons on impulsive buying decisions that some of us have learned ourselves.I'm just too cheap to go past a certain point but I do occasionally win with lowball bids.

Life is a balance sheet.

Perspective.

If

you "overpayed" by $50 and

the Bombs have 1000 days left of functional utility

Then

you lost

a nickle a day

But you found BOL

where over 4,000

members

give their 2 cents

every day

(on average: there are about five guys here who's

word is worth about 2 bucks and

D-Sub makes up for the rest of the lurkers)

:1luvu:

SO

That's about $80 a day

less a nickle

Dude,

is that a TV between your legs

or are just happy to be here?

"Been caught stealin"

sounds like your working on your setup the same way i did, got a pair of boots from a friend, burton winds, then paid 45 for some burton step-in racte plates (which we so lovingly refer to as "rat-traps"), then went to klugs site and picked up a 99 burton FP for 160 bucks. setups treating me well i tell ya.

Cant go wrong with value shopping :biggthump

TD1s retailed for $275. Their "bomb-proof" construction means they do not depreciate significantly in functional value. Only the existence of the TD2 makes them worth less. Before TD2s came out I sold a pair of TD1s for $200.

So from what you're saying, Jack, it sounds like I really got them at a slight discount!

Well, I'm definitely gonna try to ride 'em into the ground. I actually paid $183 for them, plus shipping. Hopefully the seller really needed the money.

Interesting points about the "shilling" thing. Not sure if this auction was infected by shillers, though it's possible. I assume by "shilling" we're talking about elderly Austrians who refuse to switch to the euro, right?

The truth is I got impatient to buy bindings, then thought I'd oh-so-cleverly bid at the last minute--and then my competitive impulse kicked in. But I will make the best of it.

Just like you I'm a newbie trying to get geared up - I was in on that same bidding war in the $70 range and then opted out, but my new (used) board just arrived on my doorstep moments ago and I can't stand it that I have nothing but duct tape with which to attach myself to it!!! :( So I just threw down for a pair of brand new TD2's. Who wins? We all do - we get to go dig trenches! Yeehaw!!! Good luck finding a board... :biggthump

:( So I just threw down for a pair of brand new TD2's. Who wins? We all do - we get to go dig trenches! Yeehaw!!! Good luck finding a board... :biggthump

Buying a new set of TD2's for a first setup is a good idea, even if it feels weird. Cry once, then enjoy a lifetime of fantastic performance. Boards may come and go but your TD2's will be with you for the long haul. Boots may come and go but your TD2's will be there. It's like getting married, you only (hopefully) have to do it once. They're expensive but a good value. It's always nice to own the best.