Note to New Members ×

How Many Hardbooters do you usually see on the mountain?

queequeg

I did my first riding of the season at Okemo today, and was surprised to see a number of riders on plates - Somebody on a Virus, a Blue Donek and an F2 besides myself. Usually I'm pretty surprised to see *any* other hardbooters so I was surprised to see three ... how common are hardboot sightings at your local mountain and - (shout out) is there a hardbooter posse at Okemo that I can hook up with?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliff and DB

It is definately still very much very early season conditions so beware. The boys at the tune shop are definately earning their beer today. Althought we got dumped on there are still plenty of sharks ready to ruin you day. Be careful and observant!!!!! Crowds wernt bad at all, mabey 10mins for the longest wait but, that was the back side front side looked pretty jammed up when we went back at about 3 pm. Save the good toys for a little later.

Think Snow

I see 1or2 occassionaly, always on alpines. Saw three together last year (a veritable plethera).But it was a powder day and they wouldn't leave the groomers. Ive never met another hardbooter on an allmountain carver, I really don't understand why, it's the best of both worlds.:smashfrea

At our local hill you can usually find 1 or 2 more besides yourself and on a particularly good day you will find 6 of us. It was quite the impromptu carver's get together, not planned at all just coincidence. See my profile for the pic.

Left to right: Rich, Erwin (aka gdboytyler), Scott, Ray, Anja and me.

If i go to Loon, I sometimes see 1-2 (JD is the only one i saw midweek when he's slacking on work). One weekend there were probably 6-8 of us there. I was the least skilled for sure. Learned alot that day though. I was told that I missed a weekend earlier last season with about 12 people there. Most of them can be found at the loon thread in the NH, ME, VT section. Also, they have a decent race program and I occassionally get to watch the little ones do gates.

at Waterville, I ran into 2. One guy had like 20 years experience and was nasty!

At Wachusett, I see the occasional carver or mistake a teleboarder for a plate rider, except for when we had Wachusett Wednesdays and were were a bunch of us there.

At Okemo I ran into Ursle and Voysey. Sunday River has the occassional showing of 2-3 people, but that place is huge and I have no clue where to go to find the carvers.

So far, in two seasons, I think i've met about 10 people from bomber, another 10 who were just lurkers on here, and one guy who never heard of this site.

Can't wait for ECES!!!!!!

how could you tell? how were the crowds?

It was surprisingly, not that crowded for a weekend, particularly considering that they have more trails open than anyone else on the east coast (though their base is still pretty thin and there were plenty of icy spots). Packed powder everywhere else so it was pretty bumpy and challenging to carve across (I felt I did pretty well for my first day of the season) but overall, not horrible for early december considering the weather we've had.

I saw the guy on the Virus while I was on the lift, I saw the F2 and the Donek leaning against the ski-racks on the summit lodge. I put my Donek next to them and looked around in the lodge for Raichles, Deeluxes and Heads but couldn't spot em.

All of this has me thinking that maybe I should go to ECES ...

Same at Tahoe major resorts, 2-4 on an average day. Sometimes one of us will send out emails and end up with 10-15 at Kirkwood. It's pretty impressive if we all end up on the same run. Everyone else thinks there must be some new thing happening.

When I plan on riding my board I tend to post and at Kirkwood we've gotten upwards of 8. Wachussett is me and Bob (coordinated of course) and one or two others but that is only from two days of experience.

I probably won't make it to Kirkwood this year so its nice to know Mt. Rose is catching people (I'm basing out of Reno)

3 out of 5 days I am the only hardbooter. 1 out of 5 there will be two and the other day there may be 2-5. Communication really helps. "Radio", love them or hate them they are the best tool for keeping in touch. Unfortunately, half of the guys either don't have them, won't use them, or can't use them effectively when they do bother to pack them. On a really good day of say 4 to 6 riders on the mountain , it gives folks a chance to move about, join others and split up with the option to gather again.

This is a great post to point out how important the "Expression Sessions" are.

Hope some of you BOLers (BOWLERS , oh shzt, did that just come out of my mouth? ) :smashfrea can get out to OES or any other gathering. It can really be the stepping stone to something great. Friendships, better riding, better areas, gear etc.

"Radio", love them or hate them they are the best tool for keeping in touch. Unfortunately, half of the guys either don't have them, won't use them, or can't use them effectively when they do bother to pack them.

Please elaborate - the only people I ever see on mountains wearing radios are the patrol people ... are skiers/riders using them on the mountain the same way that truckers do on the road? That sounds potentially useful.

Please elaborate - the only people I ever see on mountains wearing radios are the patrol people ... are skiers/riders using them on the mountain the same way that truckers do on the road? That sounds potentially useful.

I think he means that to post the frequency you'll be using on a particular ride board. I sometimes bring radios if friends of different skill levels tag along, since cell phone reception is usually pretty spotty on mountains. The radios have a very short range most of the time.

Absolutely!! Inexpensive FRS radios, 25-75$ gets you a small hand held with lots of channels and a couple watts of power. I often bring a few extras and pass them out!! Works great when folks remember to key mic THEN speak. Speak into the radio (and not try to do it through the jacket :smashfrea )

I am afraid your example of truckers is a little too close to accurate:barf:

Done right they can really be a life saver. Or at least help folks stay in touch.

Some of the guys are not quite as concerned about getting on the hill early in the am. If I know they are coming. I can give them on snow grooming reports so their first run is a WINNER!!