Note to New Members ×

Newbie wanting info for set up

newcarver

Hello. I just purchased an older Rossignal carving board with bindings. The bindings look like they may be step ins? They have 4x4 on the mounting disks and a "B" inside a 9 pronged claw looking design embosed on them. The board is a Dueltech and is 156cm long. I weigh 160 and I'm 5' 9" tall. Would this be a good size for me. I have never riden a carving board before. I have been riding an Arbor A-frame but found this for $35 in VG shape. Always wanted to try carving as it looks like a ton of fun. Another thing I need to find out is what type boot I need to fit these bindings? Would like to find some used ones in my size if posible. Thanks in advance. Live on the western slope of CO if anybody is interested in helping me get started.

The board sounds like it should work. Some of the Rossi's were pretty stiff if I remember right, but I don't know if that is the Dualtech.

if you post pics with a board query like this you will usually get a little more response. Need to post your boot size and there may be some offers. I have three or four old pairs of boots that are almost shot but would work for someone starting out.

And welcome to Bomber. We have a couple of carvers from the Monarch Salida area kicking around who may have boots or ideas for you.

I spent a winter the Butt ( it's been a while ) and we had 650 inches or something ridiculous like that. Hope you have a good one, with carving and some decent grooming it really doesn't matter too much how deep it gets.

Thanks for the info. I don't really know anything about these boards. I will post pics soon. I wear a size 8.5-9. Our season is getting off pretty slow here as we have had very warm temps. C/B opened today with a couple of green runs.

That's cool they got something opened. We are not looking great for TGiving opening even with all the snowmaking. Been too warm here.

I am mondo 28.5 and the boots I have are a liitle bigger and a little smaller. For boot help even if you aren't sure of your size. Go to a ski shop and have them measure you for Mondo size. I think this is basically the length of your sole in centimeters. You are probably a 26.5 - 27, so I don't have anything that would work.

I'll see if I can find what Mondo size I am. Only kind of riding I have ever done is soft boot boarding so this is all new to me. I attached a pic of the board and a close up of the bindings. I'm not even sure if this is the step in type of binding or not? This board is very stiff feeling to me. It is a lot stiffer than my A-frame which is way stiff for a regular board.

Even if it is real stiff,as your first carving board it can give you some insight as to technique,binding angles,whether your next board should be longer,softer,round tailed etc,etc.Here's hoping you get hooked and show up to one of the many expression sessions this season.You'll be able to learn a ton at one of these super cool gatherings!

Not sure about the bindings. Maybe Burton? Looks like something's missing,..toe lever maybe? I don't know much about the older Alpine bindings.

Either way, the angles are way too low. You'd want to pivot them so the binding base is just at the edge of the board. Set the front and back of the base just a tad inside of the edge just enough to eliminate boot/binding-out.

J

Congratulations on your new setup. Look forward to some amazing sensations as you learn to blast high performance arcs.

+1 for attending SES or some similar carving gathering. It'll help you quickly learn to get the most from your gear--and how to make small adjustments to boots/binding/etc. Demo stuff is also available. In addition, this article helps me with ideas anytime I'm looking for training suggestions.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/practice_drills.cfm.

It used to be in the tech srticles section--but has been moved for some reason???

A friend of mine back in oregon in the late nineties had a rossignol that looked not unsimilar to what you have there. I think he really liked it, but I (suspect) it may be a synthetic core board (someone with a better recollection may correct me later on), and the synthetic core rossis were known to decamber and get soft unusually quickly. Probably a good board to learn on.

Those do look like an early incarnation of the burton step-ins ...

this article will help you determine your mondopoint:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/sizing_chart.cfm#expect

There are plenty of boots to be found for sale on the "For Sale" section of this board.

That looks like a Throttle, i think those were foam core too. Don't remember that it was too stiff though.

The bindings look like burton step in's , i think their first attempt. You stomp on the heel assembly and the heel bail pops up. I had a pair and kept it for exactly one day. Was very dissapointed, worked like crap if i remember correctly.

So, would it be best to toss the binding and get some new ones? Are there any boots that fit these still around?

I'd give them a shot if you're just starting out, plenty of people seem to like the older burton plates but I wouldn't be surprised if the step-in mechanism isn't so hot. One things for sure - you're going to want to be riding much higher angles ... that board is set up for some serious toe/heel overhang which will put a serious damper on your carving experience ... particularly the rear foot. Once you get some boots in there you want the toes/heels of your boots as close to the edge as possible without any overhang whatsoever.

It didn't look like anybody really had an answer about the bindings... They are indeed stepins. Burton Rat traps. They work alright, but are kind of scary. What you do is "set" them by taking that little red handle and flipping it back. Then when you press down on the heel (by all means, do not do this with a bare hand) the rear bail flips up and grabs onto the heel of the boot. They take some tinkering to get to fit right, where they'll both snap all the way closed yet be tight enough to ride. They don't need any special attachments on the boot, which is kind of nice. When I started I had those and a pair of ski boots. So they will work on ski boots, but I wouldn't recommend that at all, seeing as ski boots are usually stiffer than.. well, they're stiff, and also the sole length is so long which means you'll have to crank up your angles to keep your toes out of the snow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rossignol-HARD-ALPINE-RACE-Snowboard-Boots-size-26-NEW_W0QQitemZ160176118636QQihZ006QQcategoryZ21249QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Will these boots work for me? I measured my foot at 25.56cm long. Are the going to last a while till I can get some experience and upgrade my equipment later? They look kind of dated, but if they would work I would buy them for this price.

They will work with what you have. I think they are overpriced though. They look quite ancient.

Also they have fixed heels so no Intec if you decide to go that route later on.

I think you can find better if you sit tight and wait on the classifieds.

Also use the raceboarders Ebay search...www.raceboarders.com

Click on the Ebay $ button.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rossignol-HARD-ALPINE-RACE-Snowboard-Boots-size-26-NEW_W0QQitemZ160176118636QQihZ006QQcategoryZ21249QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Will these boots work for me? I measured my foot at 25.56cm long. Are the going to last a while till I can get some experience and upgrade my equipment later? They look kind of dated, but if they would work I would buy them for this price.

Um... no way id wear those.

I have a pair of Burton Reactors, Ill sell you for the same price, WAY better boot, they are 26-26.5

Those bindings work just fine, but they are actually slightly tougher to get in then regular flip toes, cause you actually have to read down even further to push the lever down. But for a begginer it will be fine, youll eventually end up with a 165-70 board anyway

Um... no way id wear those.

I have a pair of Burton Reactors, Ill sell you for the same price, WAY better boot, they are 26-26.5

Those bindings work just fine, but they are actually slightly tougher to get in then regular flip toes, cause you actually have to read down even further to push the lever down. But for a begginer it will be fine, youll eventually end up with a 165-70 board anyway

Newcarver these are great boots that are soft enought to start but should last you a while and still be good as you get into ripping lay down carves.

If you are ready to pull the trigger you should make arrangements to get these. Sounds like he might be a Front ranger too ( no offense if not - I know how those crazy kayakers get all territorial about this stuff down there ) so you may be able to save shipping too and pick up???

Good luck.

I agree with carvedog that those boots would be alright to start with, but at the same time I agree with RDY_to_carve that they are overpriced. I'm not sure what Bomber has in stock, but if you check out the closeouts they usually have some great deals on some great boots.