Note to New Members ×

Racer are people too. Arn't they??

Bordy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Bordy, I always enjoy your perspective. Your writing skills aren't anywhere near your riding skills and that causes a disconnect between the actual quality and the perceived quality of your info, not to mention pissing folks off. I've learned to ignore how you say things and pay attention to what you're saying. Hang in there, please.

+2 Thats what I wanted to say before I got all mushy. And Michelle, please bring back the picture, I didnt really throw up, just jealous of that fine physique. I do miss the perspective of the race community. I would love to hear some stories and experiences from the tour and such, but it will never happen because people wont just sit back, read and learn.

Dang!!!! Snowboarding Is Fun!!! Racing Is Life...For me atleast. Here is what I think is so cool. I have been on a race board since I was 7, and thats because all of the old guys who raced back in the day made a sport that I fell in love with and still love. Sure, I might be an aspiring racer from A small town were everyone knows me because of snowboarding. Ya I have dreams about someday making to the Big Boy Races. Wouldnt that be AMAZING!!! Sure theres a professional racer that grew up in my town and got me started on the sport. What I think is so cool is that everyday I can come home and get on this website and talk with people like Billy Bordy who has No clue who I am. But of course I know who he is. And yes Im not conversing with him directly but in a way I can say I know someone famous and I've talked to him.

And how do we treat them here? We should be giving people at the pinnacle of performance in this sport respect -both for their skill and their contribution the sport. I can't imagine a surfing forum where Andy Irons would be flamed when trying to sell a couple of his competition boards because his internet etiquette was not as polished as somebody who spends all day, everyday online. Racers, fighter pilots, Special Forces guys and other competitors in endeavors of consequence tend to be a little more aggressive, less patient and less concerned when people get upset about "little things." For snowboarding, racers are the guys who proved in competion that Titanal makes boards more controllable, and thus faster, in imperfect conditions and that taper gives you more line options. Marketing hyp doesn't win races, real technological improvement does and we all benefit from the results of these guys' effort. It is funny watching minor wry barbs BLOWN INTO GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR CONFLAGRATION

:argue::smashfrea:AR15firin:AR15firin:flamethro :flamethro

but I think it hurts the sport overall because it separates us from the people we could learn the most about carving from.

:lurk:

What blows me away is how a small thing like an apology is something so foreign to some people. If you were standing face to face with someone and they said something that upset you, one of two things happen.

1. you talk about it and apologies are exchanged

2. the offending person says F!ck you and walks away.

You can decide which happened in this case........... :biggthump

Or maybe Bordy isn't all bad, he looks like a true VH fan (I saw them last month) and +1 on the Grace Under Pressure tour shirt I still have. Rush Rules!

I think I will put my bad manners police badge away and go back to lurking and looking for good gear deals, flame out. :cool:

Guest stokeds

seems I missed some of the conflicts on here anyway I always liked what Mark Richards said about surfing that it can be anything and so on and even included that quote on my old rider page at http://stoked.at/riders/bh

got flamed or actually deleted (a post) by a mod on snowboard.com the post is also archived on the page above I never focused much on racing cause it's not what I do and going down the fallline that fast also scares the sh*$§ out of me ... also that view that alpine is about racing only is so ridiculous that I like to talk more about freecarving but that is not any racer's fault and I like to watch races at least they cover the austrian ones on TV here

uhm, bordy, perhaps im more of an ignorant type of guy. i seldomly read -ALL- the posts. I just read the post that are of interest to me and respond, accordingly. So apparently i must have missed out the "flaming" 'tudes towards the racers. personally, i really dont care too much for that kind of "issue" between recreational and racer, because im not too interested in the flaming, only am interested to promote the breed of hardbooters of all spectrums. -shrugs- 'sides for waht it is worth, id like ot meet you one day, tho. youre only a state away from me, and i do ride my bike out in Utah on occasional basis. :) motorcycle, btw.

also, I just know you know my old coach, will, and uve lent him your kessler. but now he's in SLC, i think he'd come visit and borrow it some more. :) btw, do you happen to know a deaf guy name jeff pollock ?

So if racers are kind of the pariahs of hardbooters, then what does everyone think about softbooters who race?

Not that I do that, exactly .... or that I would have anything against those who do .... or that I actually hang out with these types or anything .... just wondering.

snow goddess

don't toy with us, woman. we know who you are :cool:

isn't it obvious that hardbooting is the elite of snowboarding and alpine racers are the true gladiators of our sport ?

why does the snowboarding industry think we're a bunch of eggheads ? :rolleyes:

I just don't get it....... :freak3:

now you just hold on there ! donuts are dope !

Dont tell me that Im crazy

Dont tell me Im nowhere

Take it from me

Its hip to be square

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbs64GvGgPU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbs64GvGgPU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

post-123-14184223942_thumb.jpg

uhm, bordy, perhaps im more of an ignorant type of guy. i seldomly read -ALL- the posts. I just read the post that are of interest to me and respond, accordingly. So apparently i must have missed out the "flaming" 'tudes towards the racers. personally, i really dont care too much for that kind of "issue" between recreational and racer, because im not too interested in the flaming, only am interested to promote the breed of hardbooters of all spectrums. -shrugs- 'sides for waht it is worth, id like ot meet you one day, tho. youre only a state away from me, and i do ride my bike out in Utah on occasional basis. :) motorcycle, btw.

also, I just know you know my old coach, will, and uve lent him your kessler. but now he's in SLC, i think he'd come visit and borrow it some more. :) btw, do you happen to know a deaf guy name jeff pollock ?

Lee,

Yup Jeff an I are old friends Jeff has been competeing in local races for a decade plus.

You used to train with Will? who has moved to utah and I am looking foward to riding with again.

Come to WTC.

I'm slow and can't work the quote function, so I'll refer to Bordy's post #25.

At the risk of starting a scrap, I'll say that I was called both an elitist and a snob by Billy when I tried to drop an opinion on this board. In fact, the two guys who called me out were the two I would consider to be the most experienced alpine riders. I was even told that there was no way that I could be O.K. in person because of how I sounded on-line... Too much of a "Tech Geek" to be properly hung out with.

In my opinion, the recreational riders here who "defend" their style, like, let's say "knees together" or something like that, risk a 3rd degree flame-job. This sucks because they're only saying it's fun, not that it offers some sort of advantage.

Kris Karol is on this forum. Because we recognize his name, nobody would call him out. the same can't be said for someone whose name you don't recognize, or who uses some internet name. Nobody knew who I was when I came on, so I was an easy target. Really, because I had an opinion and no "name".

Contrary to Billy's post, the only people who ripped me were the guys with the most knowledge. It may, however, be Billy's personal experience that when he makes comments, he's sometimes flamed. That's not because the rec rider doesn't want to hear from a guy like him, they might just be a bit sensitive to his on-line tone.

The whole community... rippers and recreationalists together, is what keeps me here. Anyone who s#!ts on us is likely not the kind of person you'd want to hear from anyway.

Rob,

I recall us bumping head when you first started to post on the forum.

I am Sorry I made you feel the way you say, I am glad your on the board and hope most of the community views your posts and input with the out look of a true veteran of the sport with a huge amount of first hard knowledge that could only be obtained from a life long passion and practice of alpine snowboarding.

thanks for contributing.

Again sorry that is how you felt treated. my bad. :biggthump

Something to consider - are we really rude to newbies? I don't remember copping any flak when I first posted, but there are a lot of people who seem to feel that way. We pride ourselves on an open and friendly forum but some of the flame wars on here could really give potential recruits a bad impression. And most of them start over something really lame.

Dunno about Oprah, I thought this place was more like Jerry Springer!

The only racer I've ever met is Marianne Leeson, I bought her board off her last year and she's awesome. Thumbs up for racers.

Jumping in here late and without reading it because I owe Billy an email first... but I just want to go on the record and say yes, yes they are, and I'm glad when they can come here and contribute posts of substance.

I'd also like to say that I envy racers in that I think they live in the outdoors a lot more than we do. Therefore they speak "internet as a second language", and it doesn't always jive with us cubicle dwelling, 60wpm typing, weekend warriors.

Hey Rob... I for one much prefer to be called out explicitly than to have to guess, "gosh, did I do that?". Please let me know if we need to clear the air.

Something to consider - are we really rude to newbies? I don't remember copping any flak when I first posted, but there are a lot of people who seem to feel that way....

Of course not...you are the rarely seen female hardbooter...the fantasy! even the married guys wouldn't risk chasing you away :1luvu:

I'm stoked with a site where dudes like Cindy can gurn you for being to Emo. Toughen up, boys.

Jack: We're good, man. I did get choked when you called me out, but that was what you thought about my weird idea (get the beginners to ride duck, so they won't be assymetrical one-way'rs like me). It was just harsh tokes to hear it.

Billy: Nice one. Thanks. You're the real deal.

By the way, Snowboard Canada just did a feature on Noboarding. Some killer no-rope shots. Shed your binders.